Have you been turned away ! Not nice (1 Viewer)

Hymer Joy

Free Member
Nov 3, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Since 2000
I am a recently widowed lady driving my Hymer on my own...I have had many ups and downs with people that don't understand how hard it is for us. I would like to think that common sense could have been used under the circumstances, I have never come across a ruling for solo travellers . Take heart and keep going !

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to drag this back up ! ;) Could anyone who emailed Searles advise me of any replies you got ? Or NOT as the case may be. They haven't replied to me or my Friend ! Also anyone this has happened to at Searles please PM me. I might have some interesting news !
I know Jim you mentioned you might contact them too ?

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
hoping that the interesting news is that they've changed their single person policy, but am not holding my breath just in case..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to drag this back up ! ;) Could anyone who emailed Searles advise me of any replies you got ? Or NOT as the case may be. They haven't replied to me or my Friend ! Also anyone this has happened to at Searles please PM me. I might have some interesting news !
If you PM me with your email address I will forward the emails I sent and received

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I have been wondering what the outcome was, couldn't remember the name of the thread.

It would be good to know ....

As was said, don't hold out much hope, whosoever made the rule would tend to stand by it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Any chance of putting details of the 'interesting news' on here for others to see?

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Any chance of putting details of the 'interesting news' on here for others to see?
Yes will do as soon as I know more......I had no reply from Searles and as far as I know there was no response from them to anyone else.

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Will he see it now Jock lol.....I mean after seeing your post x

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I see she has made the Caravan Times and it's all over Facebook so not great publicity for the site

Broken Link Removed
Aye Gerry, and they blooming well deserve it too, because of their attitude and reluctance to sort it out. It wouldn't surprise me if the MD of Searles isn't getting a right ear bashing on his Facebook page. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
They have just covered the story on Radio 5 Live this morning. Hopefully all this negative publicity might!! make Searles reconsider its policies.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
TBH I have some sympathy with the site, I would think that the main reason for this rule is to protect children from possible sexual preditors, So because of the PC brigade and not being able to check criminal records etc, they have to put a blanket ban in place, as they do have a duty of care.

Just my take on it (y)
As a social worker is not great to suggest all single people pose a risk to children. Secondly harm is mostly by someone who the child knows and finally parents in the first instance need to maintain their child’s safety

I feel single booking mean less profit !

it’s dated and borderline discriminatory.. but lawful. Doesn’t fall into realm of hate crime either

I sometimes go alone... never realised it’s an issue Jim is there a list forewarning us lone travellers so we don’t end up stuck somewhere ? I could check and avoid a drastic situation one Friday pm that way

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
As a social worker is not great to suggest all single people pose a risk to children. Secondly harm is mostly by someone who the child knows and finally parents in the first instance need to maintain their child’s safety
So agree. Ditto.

Only just seen this old thread. Does anyone know if this ancient ruling still applies? (Can understand stag nights, etc.,)

A GROUP of single people, e. g. Stag and Hen nights, is completely different to a couple of solo campers booking, surely?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
This is what happens when you employ braindead staff devoid of all common sense. I'd have made her welcome and said "but don't tell anybody" 😊

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
This is what happens when you employ braindead staff devoid of all common sense. I'd have made her welcome and said "but don't tell anybody" 😊
I'd have acted dumb and pretended I thought she was twins. ;)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I can hear David Walliams 'Computer says No' .......

What HAS happened though? Owt or nowt?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Simple solution..... Avoid going there then there's no doubt as to whether singles are allowed or not.

We have been there ONCE.. decided it was far too regimented for us so even if I was a lone traveller it is not a place that would get my lolly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back