Have tried everything - how do i format my harddrive????

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Teasy2007, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

hI

I have followed all your good advice but I cant get the virus Security Master AV off the computer. It seems to have infected nearly everything and I cant even find where it is on the computer, even though I have searched and deleted every instance. I turn back on again and it is back in force.

I have a Restore cd which came with my sons computer, but even though I have put that in and run the restore program it needs to connect to the Internet for updates and because it cant connect it gets stuck.

So, having tried everything else - and am ready for chucking it through the window - Please can someone tell me how to format the hard drive!!

Ginny

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Usually you do not have to connect to t'internet to do a "restore" which is effectively a re-format. Can you not skip the "update" bit and do it later when all else is sorted? :Smile:

3. madbluemad

madbluemad

Teasy
    You shoudnt need the Internet to reformat the hard drive. Turn on the computer and whilst the curser is still blinking press F10.

This should take you to a series of options, one of which is reformat hard drive, it may say restore or destructive restore, depending upon the age and version of your operating system software.

If it says destructive restore GO FOR THAT OPTION. Without sitting at your computer its hard to say.

Jim
    :Smile:

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Found this hope it helps
    http://www.spywareremove.com/removeSecurityMasterAV.html

Security Master AV Manual Removal Instructions

Backup Reminder: Always be sure to back up your PC before making any changes.

Step 1 : Use Windows Task Manager to Remove Security Master AV Processes

Remove the "Security Master AV" processes files:
    %UserProfile%\Recent\std.exe%UserProfile%\Recent\PE.exe%UserProfile%\Recent\ANTIGEN.exe%CommonAppData%\8d7ca11\SM8d7c.exe
    Read more on How to kill Security Master AV Processes

Step 2 : Use Registry Editor to Remove Security Master AV Registry Values

Locate and delete "Security Master AV" registry entries:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun "Security Master AV"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTSMAVSys.DocHostUIHandlerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftware3
    Read more on How to Remove Security Master AV Registry Entries

Step 3 : Use Windows Command Prompt to Unregister Security Master AV DLL Files

Search and unregister "Security Master AV" DLL files:
    %UserProfile%\Recent\runddlkey.dll%UserProfile%\Recent\ddv.dll%UserProfile%\Recent\cid.dll
    Read more on How to Remove Security Master AV DLL Files

Step 4 : Detect and Delete Other Security Master AV Files

Remove the "Security Master AV" processes files:
    %StartMenu%\Programs\Security Master AV.lnk%StartMenu%\Security Master AV.lnk%UserProfile%\Recent\runddlkey.dll%UserProfile%\Recent\tjd.sys%UserProfile%\Recent\tjd.drv%UserProfile%\Recent\std.exe%UserProfile%\Recent\PE.tmp%UserProfile%\Recent\PE.sys%UserProfile%\Recent\PE.exe%UserProfile%\Recent\PE.drv%UserProfile%\Recent\gid.drv%UserProfile%\Recent\FS.drv%UserProfile%\Recent\energy.tmp%UserProfile%\Recent\ddv.sys%UserProfile%\Recent\ddv.dll%UserProfile%\Recent\DBOLE.sys%UserProfile%\Recent\CLSV.drv%UserProfile%\Recent\cid.dll%UserProfile%\Recent\ANTIGEN.exe%UserProfile%\Recent\ANTIGEN.drv%Desktop%\Security Master AV.lnk%AppData%\Security Master AV\cookies.sqlite%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Security Master AV.lnk%CommonAppData%\8d7ca11\SMAVSys\vd952342.bd%CommonAppData%\8d7ca11\SMAV.ico%CommonAppData%\8d7ca11\SM8d7c.exe%CommonAppData%\8d7ca11\25.mof
    Read more on How to Delete Harmful Files

5. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Just wondering if you realise the implications of formatting your hard drive? It wipes it clean of everything.

Have you done a restore to a previous day's restore point. It might not solve the problem but..

6. acting_strange

acting_strange

Ginny what OS (operating system are you using)....you are not that far away from me we could possibly meet and I could try and sort this out for you??

7. madbluemad

madbluemad

Its difficult to refomat a hard drive now, that why the restore software has been included as an os update.

Even some of the desructive restore software has been taken off with os updates.

A restore will fix some problems but not all, a destructive restore imo will fix all problems.

It will not delete data, only the software that is the platform for the data. So after carrying out the restore or destructive restore you have to reload any software that you have previousley loaded on, not the manufacturers operating software.

Jim
    :Smile:

8. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Thanks, but I got to the stage this afternoon when I was looking at the window and thinking that it would be cheaper and more theraputic to chuck the laptop out of the window and buy him another!

In the end I decided to contact the IT technician at my previous school (the one I retired from !) and he agreed to sort it out for me!!

I really appreciate all your help and have copied some of your comments in case I have this sort of trouble again.

I am sure that this problem will crop up again on another funster's computer so if they search and find these posts they will be in a much better position than I was this lunch time.

Ginny

9. buttons

buttons Funster

I'm sure it will be back to normal in no time but if your son used his pc for banking or storing card numbers etc then get him to replace the lot as they could be common knowledge by now. That also applies to your card if it was used. good luck:thumb:

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

try a restart in 'SAFE MODE'

you might then be able to do a system restore to an earlier date before the program installed.

dont know if it will work but worth a try before doing a full format.

Ooops...just read the rest of the posts and see you have a grown-up looking at it :Doh::Laughing: