Free Member
Oct 11, 2014
medway
Funster No
MH
Ford herald aragon
Exp
Hello all,

I've literally just bought a Ford Herald Aragon 1996, very happy lots of extras etc. service history, but am now wondering if I rushed in without thinking things though.

1. weight issues - I haven't got the log book yet, so cant check but can anyone give me some idea of the payload...

2. Seat belt issues - Only has 2 belts for driver and passenger, and has side facing bench seats, I think I am correct that its legal to carry people in the back (I realise the safety issues) but what amount insurance?

Thanks in advance
Neil

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Cant answer your first question, but the following gives guidance to rear passengers and seats.

Broken Link Removed

Allan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

neil miles

Free Member
Oct 11, 2014
medway
Funster No
MH
Ford herald aragon
Exp
thank you, so being really thick .. does that means I can have 600kgs of extra weight, including myself and passenger and extras already fitted ?

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we all rush into things at some time or another and have to live with the consequences looking at the listed payload of 600kg I've no idea how realistic that is but it seems low to me especially if you intend to travel with more than two people. You need to fill up with fuel, water and bedding and take it to a weighbridge to find the current weight including yourselves. then subtract that weight from the max vehicle weight (not train weight) to find out what payload you have left.
You may find you have to dump the water to get the weight down if there are 4 of you. After that its a matter of weighing everything that goes in from crockery to clothes and food. Once you have an idea of where you stand you can work out if it is going to work for you or if you need to sell it on and get something more suitable. We were lucky to have a ton and a quarter payload and still have 400kgs spare when fully loaded in a 23ft van. Good luck it sounds as though you are going to need it.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Neil,

take your van to a public weighbridge and see how it compares with the weights given on the manufacturers plate (normally found under the bonnet near the bonnet catch. If you exceed any of those then the van is overloaded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Congratulations, Nice layout, have been in a few of these style and it works well.

Realisation that you have spent the money, a common reaction, but don't rush a second decision, consider

You bought it because you liked it and wanted it, you need to decide what you intend to use it for, if it is to be a day out, weekend, weekly holiday van you may be OK, If you intend to long term or full time then you may struggle.

Take a deep breath and think logically, by passengers do you mean small people so less weight?
We rarely carry more than a small amount of water in the tank as it is usually freely and easily available on sites and rallies, so no worries there.
Food and shopping can be picked up at your destination or usually sorted sometime after arrival (just need basics)
Your payload will be fuel, people, pots and pans, bedding and chairs etc, careful planning and selection low weight items may mean that you are OK, look at your storage space will you be taking gas BBQ, patio furniture etc, remember you have to pack everything away to make the camper usable it is no good storing things in the aisle this limits the weight.
After thinking you may feel better, after all there are thousands of other vans on the market and they all manage.

Ps maybe look for the Compass and Herald owners club for more advice and see how they get on.

http://compassandheraldmotorhomeclub.weebly.com

Happy motor homing

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You could always take a small trailer if you are going to be overweight not insurmountable , don't know how much you've paid but looks a good first buy to me if it's right money

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

neil miles

Free Member
Oct 11, 2014
medway
Funster No
MH
Ford herald aragon
Exp
Hello All, thanks for the welcome and replies..... feeling a little less stressed now, I think it was panic over spending a lot of money and then panicking lol.
As for the payload issues, there's only 2 of us and the ferrets, ...I still want to check the weights, would these be ok, I could take it to the weigh bridge but really want to get used to it first.
http://www.obelink.co.uk/car-caravan-accessories/chassis/caravan-weight-control.html
thanks again

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just fill it with fuel, fresh water, ideally full gas bottles, and remove everything else, then take it to the weighbridge with your t'other 'alf and get both axles weighed, it won't cost much at all and you'll know for certain how you stand with it. You can then weigh your kit and decide what you want to take with you and place it in the MH accordingly to spread the weight over the axles (don't go over each of the individual axle weights or the total MTPLM/MAM for your MH). 600kg payload is very good too so you should find it more than adequate!

As for the gauges ... forget it, they have come in for some 'stick' due to the need to be level when you weight your vehicle and even then they aren't always that accurate, a visit to a weighbridge would cost no more than £10, probably less (we have a free one whee we are!) so don't waste your money on a 'gadget' that won't really do the job (IMV).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

neil miles

Free Member
Oct 11, 2014
medway
Funster No
MH
Ford herald aragon
Exp
Sorry but another question - I can only drive up to a 3500kg vehicle , does this mean if the vehicle weighs 3300kgs, I can only add 200kgs maximum ?

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If the MPTLM (max weight) of the vehicle is 3300kg as per the Becks advert, then anything over that and you are breaking the law. As above, put your stuff in it for normal travel and then get it weighed; front axle, total and then rear axle. It must be under 3300kg total and anything under that is what you have spare

Upvote 0

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
weighed mine at local refuse yard £4.50 kg3,200,full water / waste /diesal,when off for a short tine tow car/trailer with xcess in

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We were lucky to have a ton and a quarter payload and still have 400kgs spare when fully loaded in a 23ft van. Good luck it sounds as though you are going to need it.
Good grief, what do you take away with you? We have 500kg payload ( excluding oil, gas, 80% water and 80% fuel and me which is included in the base vehicle weight) With Mrs A, two dogs, loads of food and clothes, we carry loads of stuff and are still well within our limit.
Allan

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I wouldn't trust the weighpads (I have no experience of the type you mention in the link) I have never come across any that are particularly accurate particularly at the lower weights (under 7.5 tonnes) A proper weighbridge is the only answer. If you have a DVSA dynamic bridge anywhere near you, you could ask them to put you over - they will be very accurate, giving both axle weights and gross weight as you drive slowly accross the beam.

To answer your second point, if you can only drive a vehicle up to 3,500 kgs (presumably you passed your Category B test after January 1997) then you can only drive a vehicle up t0 3,500 kgs Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM). That is the weight (the first weight) on the manufacturers plate. (the second weight on that plate is generally higher but only refers to the maximum train weight i.e. the weight of the vehicle and any trailer pulled by it).

If you vehicle has a maximum authorised mass of anything over 3,5oo kgs you cannot drive it on a Category B licence (if that licence was issued after January 1997) no matter what the actual weight of the vehicle is - even if it is empty!

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Reading the previous posts, the vehicle in question is 3300kg max weight so anything over that is breaking the law, irrespective of licence qualifications

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

neil miles

Free Member
Oct 11, 2014
medway
Funster No
MH
Ford herald aragon
Exp
Hello again,
well its here... Just fits on the drive lol, it has all the original manuals.
I will go to a weigh bridge in the coming week, when I can work up the nerve to actually drive it !
In the documentation its states an unladen weight of 2700kg and a payload of 600kgs. it states that the unladen weight includes toolkits etc. and auxiliary equipment, does this include the oven, fridge etc..
I know it doesn't include the extra batteries, awnings and solar panel.
Cheers
Neil

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oven, fridge etc should be included unless it is a continental van where it was not a standard fitting

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Neil, I would not pay too much heed to any of the manuals when it comes to establishing the unladen weight. Take it to the weighbridge and compare the weights found (front axle, back axle and gross -= train weight as well if you intend towing) against those on the manufacturers plate. Whatever is left is for you, your passenegers, fuel, water, and holiday requirements - clothes food etc.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back