Have I Lost my Sense of Adventure?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Milo, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Milo

Milo Read Only Funster

For ten or so years my wife and I have been taking good campervanning holidays in Europe. I've been retired for four years. We've been to Morocco and to the top of Norway and to many damn fine places in between, but increasingly I find that I want to go back to campsites and towns we've already visited. I'm only 55 and I feel I'm letting myself down. Have I lost the plot?

• Like Like x 1
  2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi ,maybe not . like you i have seen lots of far off places . the more i go away the more i like the uk. if the weather was alot warmer in winter i possibly wouldnt go abroad.
    friends of the family used to say this when i was younger . i now know just how they felt.

• Like Like x 3
  3. buttons

buttons Funster

Not at all, you are under no obligation to visit places just for the sake of it. Do what takes your fancy. Perhaps you could do with a change maybe a hotel or cruise, if you still want adventure then get on a big bird and see what you think of Australia. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's known in the trade as boring olde fartes' syndrome.

Not curable on the NHS but any good undertaker will cure you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Milo

Milo Read Only Funster

I think you're all probably right. I'm remembering now that it took ages for me (to allow myself) to be happy to sit in valleys and look at big mountains without feeling that I really should be climbing them. Sometimes I still cycle up mountain roads, but only for the fun of descending.

• Like Like x 1
  6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you have to play games like no tolls no motorways no dual carriageways
    or must be on the road nearest the sea . or you cant turn round even if you know its not the right way but find another.
    we have been doing this for years . its good fun .
    cant always win . but it doesnt matter.
    the skill is always taking the right road .
    the other one is the wrong road. never a left .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Milo

Milo Read Only Funster

I used to like map reading, but it never combined well with driving! 5 or 6 years ago we met Thomas Thomas and ever since then I've greatly enjoyed exploring, getting lost and being rescued by the sat nav.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

no sat nav here.
    my last partner was sad nav as she couldnt get the map the right way up.
    luckily she had twat nav (me)to get us back on track.

9. Milo

Milo Read Only Funster

My wife was a good map reader, perhaps she still could be, but she's always been completely uninterested in map reading. And she's a very good driver, but doesn't drive our van.

Come to think of it, would she notice if I went on holiday on my own?

10. veevee

veevee Funster

Yes I think so

• Like Like x 1
  11. GeraldandAnnie

GeraldandAnnie Read Only Funster

We're tending to mix our exploration between new places and places we've been to, and liked. We're happy to find a new aire in a small French town, explore the town and surrounding area for a day or two, and then move on. It's also nice to see places we know.

Then again, I've never been one for climbing mountains :Doh:

Gerald

• Like Like x 2
  12. JJ

JJ Funster

I try to be honest and frank with myself...

I am getting to the last phase of life...

I have had a very, very lucky life in which I have done many things and visited many, many places...

I have more than enough things that I know I enjoy doing and more than enough places that I know I want to revisit...

Why risk spending too much precious time seeing if I might enjoy this place or might enjoy doing that thing?

I have done my experimenting and now I want to enjoy the things that that experimentation has shown me I love doing to the full...

I suppose this might be boring to the younger ones amongst you who are still seeking new adventure but to me it makes sense... :Wink:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 8
  13. veevee

veevee Funster

... but don't you sometimes want to go somewhere new, see different people, try something else, read another book?

How about it's like food and drink. You mostly buy the same cheese you know you really like, the same wine, but then... the shop has another cheese on offer that you have never tried, are you still curious?

14. JJ

JJ Funster

Reading another book... of course...

Going somewhere new... well, I do drive to known places on different routes and come across new places on the way but I don't plan to go to a particular place just to "have a look" (unless it is for work or a footy match or a trusted friend has told me I will love it and why...)

Meeting different people... can't avoid that... it happens without me changing anything...

Food... NEVER... I have enough food I like to eat without "trying something new" which might make me vomit! (Mind you I eat to live... not as a hobby...)

What about you?

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I find where ever you go in the world --all you find is someone trying to sell you something you don`t want.
    Airports,African villages,middle east markets, " ello sir--you buy?" Usually from a hot sweaty, smelly,-local man-----How many times can i say NO !
    Then as i walk away i notice a sour look as if to say -- i hate you anyway :Eeek:.

Then after a new and different locally made meal --3 days of sat on the loo with head down the basin thinking " i wish i was at home".

Been there done that --i will travel the U/K now and the odd trip to France:thumb:

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I'm glad you posted this because I thought it was just me .. good post and thanks for sharing ..

I feel the same.. jaded, 'been there, done that, got the olde fart syndrome' to prove it ... :Sad:

I call it losing my edge .. been traveling all my life, culminating in 2009 after three years full time.. that was plenty..
    Seen most of Europe and lived in RSA for six years where traveling with a 4x4 and tent is a real adventure ... but there are only so many beaches to visit, old castles to look at or mountains to gaze on until they all start to look the same..

Morocco was the last place that I felt truly excited about.. but after a couple of months it too was became just another tourist destination .. full of street traders flogging cheap tourist tat or get you to climb onto a smelly camel, buy a rug, fossil or sandals.. .. sand and mountains ... a series of camps and moving on.. a great country but at the end of the day not much different to many others.. just a lot poorer.

I have lost my enthusiasm for long haul driving just to do the same old stuff again and if it's only to find better weather I would be better off flying.

We sold the RV and now have a touring caravan.. will go to places in the UK and France that we know and love.. but no more 'here today gone tomorrow', can't wait to pull the plug syndrome and drive off into the sunset ...
    I want to take it easy and enjoy my stay, relax without wondering what is around the corner.. because that corner is just another corner .. no different to a thousand others I've chased..

Read my signature.. it is a quote from a book, 'Zen and the Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance'... nothing to do with motorcycles, it's a philosophical look at life on a road trip across the US on a motor cycle..
    I first read it around 1983 .. didn't understand it.. after many years and a lot of travel.. I now do.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  17. Risky R

Risky R Read Only Funster

Hi all.....i'm reading these posts and I can sort of understand the "been there done that" remarks.
    Myself and other half are having our "moments" with living in the rat race that is the U.K, probably the same anywhere else after a while?
    All my life (48 yrs old) i've worked and got stuck into making a half sensible living and standard of life. Self employed and home owner I can say i've done Ok.
    In 2003 I sold my business and rented the house and went to Egypt...ended up teaching scuba diving for 2 years. Great times but came back in 05.

I've got back into my business, Vehicle windscreen replacements and also learnt another trade, recovery truck driver. I also have my HGV class 1.
    In the last year we've been saying that we just need to get away and "drop out" the rat race.
    We had the chance to go to Thailand, Koh Phangnan, for 3 weeks and check out a friends dive centre with the possibilities of returning to live/work out there. Much as it was very nice it wasn't for us.

Having been home now a while we are still struggling with the uncertainty of what we want.
    We briefly toured Europe in our Delica which was fun but made hard by not having much space and having to make up a bed each night...you know the type of thing, moving this and that to get the bed sorted....hassle but we got on with it.
    Now we have a small folding Caravan (Esterel) and the few trips we've had have been great.
    We basically want to sort out a few things this end with the house and just take off with the Delica and caravan over to france and just work our way down...no particular plans but just see where we end up.

Having read this post I feel a bit concerned that the grass isn't any greener out the U.K and we'd be making a mistake.
    Being all new to us it may be exciting/daunting and a great adventure....but to get that feeling of bored, same old same old and to be stuck in a foreign country would be a big downer.
    Sorry for the long post but we're having a few dillemas going on here and to just get some thoughts/advice from those who know would be very much appreciated right now.

Phil and Aggy.

• Like Like x 4
  18. TDH

TDH Funster

What an interesting thread, and I particularly like JJ's and Jim's responses.

I don't think what you're describing is 'old fart syndrome', I think it's an indicator of people who know themselves well, have done some exploring inside themselves as well as out and are more or less OK with their place in the world. (Sorry if that assumption is off the mark).

I think I know what you mean. For a long time now I've found myself wishing myself to the tops of hills but not having the motivation to actually get there. When I do, I still love it and still get all the same levels of satisfaction that I always have (I earned my living for a long time by climbing hills and loved every minute). But it does take a lot more effort than it used to and I don't have quite the guilt trip that I used to when I decide to sit at the bottom.

I don't want to be morbid about it but, when you have more sand in the bottom of the timer than you do in the top, and you don't have anything to prove - to others or, more importantly, yourself - you can probably sit on a beach and vegitate in peace. Or please yourself what you choose for your new mountains.

And the other thing that disqualifies you from 'old fartdome', in my opinion for what its worth, is a sense of wonder - the thing that helps you enjoy things as if they're there for the first time. One of my friends and heros has done everything and been everywhere and I'm constantly in awe when he tells his stories. He manages, however, to seem to see everything with the eyes of a child - he's never bored, he's never boring and life is still a massive adventure for him. He's 91 incidentally, and not very mobile anymore, but it makes not a scrap of difference.

Oh, and by the way -

- that's being an old fart!!! :Rofl1::thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  19. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

What a honest interesting posts from people who have not lived the normal 9 to 5 life but gone out and found adventure and alternative living.

Sometimes though its good to slow down reflect take a different pace nothing wrong with that, and as a post "Salopian" put recently I don't need a lot of possessions, I just take my memories out, run through them reflect then put them back again for another day.

My friend JJ's post summed it up well and there really is a man who has lived and as the song says Done it my Way. and still enjoying the twists and turns of life.

I have read some of your blog, listenend to some of your music, you are still young, and still have time for lots of dreams but life changes don't beat your self up or think its wrong, so change pace for a while, talk to your wife its always good to hear thoughts talked about, that way you can make sense of them.

PS. Love the music on the blog.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Risky R

Risky R Read Only Funster

I think that just about sums it up really. I cannot tick all the boxes at this stage of my life but to be able to say the above one day would be nice.

Every obstacle that gets thrown my way, every idiot that makes life a little bit harder just makes it easier to jump in the van and drive off into the sunset....me and Aggy are so ready to stick 2 fingers up at this lot around here and just go...reading JJ's makes me want to get the hell outta here. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1