Have I got the record!!!! (1 Viewer)

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
4 speed camera flashes in 2 days.......

Whilst driving the motorhome (3.5T french registered) on a few different 'A' roads from Calais south I got flashed by speed camera's 4 times in two days. The first was on a section of road with a speed limit of 110kph (A13) and my speed was 94kph the next three were on a peage with a speed limit of 130kph (A28) and again I was well under the speed limit doing around 97kph according to gary garmin.
All cameras were of this type Speed cam.png

I don't know if these cameras are set for trucks as well as cars and thought I was a truck....
I await the postie with baited breath to see if I get anything through the post and if i do it will be fun trying to beat the french system..

Wish me luck!

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We had a ticket last week, wifey speeding on the A20 near Limoges in the car, only took a week for the ticket to come through....

Remember to contest the fine you have to pay it first as a deposit....Also do you have a French or UK license...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
We had a ticket last week, wifey speeding on the A20 near Limoges in the car, only took a week for the ticket to come through....

Remember to contest the fine you have to pay it first as a deposit....Also do you have a French or UK license...
The difference being I wasn't speeding......French licence.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You won't get a fine they don't follow up UK reg vehicles at the moment and they will ignor it when they see it was a Camping Car.
In April got flashed twice in 10 mile on the N10 in the No Overtaking 80kph limit for over 3.5t.
An in October got flashed on the same day in Germany & France both times it was a 30kph in villages for lorries over 7.5t.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
The difference being I wasn't speeding......French licence.

I know, just saying if they send the 'Avis de Contravention' to you, to contest it you have to pay it as a 'deposit'....The longer you leave it the more you'll have to pay......We didn't contest ours...

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Nothing will happen.
Got flashed 4 times last year twice in the van twice on the motorbike never heard a thing.
That was 2 in Austria 1 in France and 1 in Germany I think.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Nothing will happen.
Got flashed 4 times last year twice in the van twice on the motorbike never heard a thing.
Makes a change Rory(y)
Usually you doin the flashing :Eeek:

OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
You won't get a fine they don't follow up UK reg vehicles at the moment and they will ignor it when they see it was a Camping Car.
In April got flashed twice in 10 mile on the N10 in the No Overtaking 80kph limit for over 3.5t.
An in October got flashed on the same day in Germany & France both times it was a 30kph in villages for lorries over 7.5t.

Nothing will happen.

I have a FRENCH registered motorhome.... but still hoping they see sense and realise it is a motorhome and not a truck!!!!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
Got flashed three times between Calais, Bordeaux,Bayonne,in Portugues registered. 3.5t PVC,in October Nothing come through yet,as you say,i think it is a truck thing,when they see its a Campingcar,they bin it................... Hopefully.
Like yourself,we were not speeding as a C/car,but would have been for a truck,so,fingers crossed.
Tea Bag

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Can the cameras discriminate between a motorhome under/over 3.5 tonnes?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I got flashed a couple of times last week on a French motorway.
I was well within the motorhome speed limit but over the 90kph truck limit.
We are quite large and 4.5 t so I guessed the camera thought we were a truck.

Richard.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

I would think not in real time, but as the MH in question is French registered and the process would have to access the vehicle records for ownership details then one would hope it would automatically the check the vehicle spec. before sending out any demand...I would imagine it would be an automatic system with little human input until a query was raised..

As our MH is French regd. and above 3.5T I might need to be even more vigilant...

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Only if they had access to the DVLA database I would think.
I believe that we don't allow foreign agencies access so a UK reg van would just show up as a Camping-Car on the camera shots..................................I hope. ;);)

Richard.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
..... and I've never been flashed since I passed 50. :(

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
But do the Frech differentiate between the two, or is a van a van regardless of body type ?

Speed limits for a MH over 3.5T are different to trucks...100 kmph on dual carriageway and 110KPH on a motorway and 80kph on a 'normal' road...under 3.5 T the speed limits are the same as a car...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Just go on the site Ian watches ! ! ! (see his last posts)
But be prepared to strip off ! ! !
Joy. You can't see anything when its dark .....
You've probably missed it all ! ! !
Much love gal..
Mitch and Jenny.

PS. Are you off to Spain over Crimble / New year ???

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Nah, you're stuffed mate!
You'll probably lose your licence and a big fine to boot

Only kidding, I've had a similar problem, several times
It appears they see a big vehicle and automatically flash.
When they are then checked and see it's a MH they ignore it.

Anyway, how's the new beasty behaving?

OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Nah, you're stuffed mate!
You'll probably lose your licence and a big fine to boot

Only kidding, I've had a similar problem, several times
It appears they see a big vehicle and automatically flash.
When they are then checked and see it's a MH they ignore it.

Anyway, how's the new beasty behaving?

Hi Mike,
I'm thinking that it sees MH as a truck and flashes if over the 90kph limit then when they check the carte gris and find its a MH at 3.5T they dismiss it. You would think that they would have some kind of weight sensor embedded into the road surface to stop this happening!!!!!

As for the new beasty its behaving as you would expect. 6500kms covered in 7 weeks and the only complaints so far are fridge door pockets cant take the weight of bottles as we have had two break (replaced under warranty) fridge is 9 series dometic. Also cant swivel drivers seat with handbrake on which makes it difficult if you need to use ramps!!!!!

Hope your both well?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... only complaints so far are fridge door pockets cant take the weight of bottles as we have had two break (replaced under warranty) fridge is 9 series dometic.
That sounds familiar .... something to do with the 'wrong' plastic being used ... I'm sure there was a thread about it a while back.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
But do the Frech differentiate between the two, or is a van a van regardless of body type ?
I believe they do John.
Last year coming home we went through a couple of places that had a 3.5t weight limit with a notice on the poles saying ( cannot remember the wording ) that it did not apply to camping cars

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Mike,
I'm thinking that it sees MH as a truck and flashes if over the 90kph limit then when they check the carte gris and find its a MH at 3.5T they dismiss it. You would think that they would have some kind of weight sensor embedded into the road surface to stop this happening!!!!!

As for the new beasty its behaving as you would expect. 6500kms covered in 7 weeks and the only complaints so far are fridge door pockets cant take the weight of bottles as we have had two break (replaced under warranty) fridge is 9 series dometic. Also cant swivel drivers seat with handbrake on which makes it difficult if you need to use ramps!!!!!

Hope your both well?[/QUOTE
We have a similar problem but if you move the seat forward and then swivel it it's not a problem. Then adjust it to how you want when sitting at the table
Simples
Mail me ref your winter shcedule and may be we can meet up again, near Malaga may be or wherever.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back