Have I gone Mad? Am I mad? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Worth every penny but again please Adopt:pray:

Hi John.. we would love to adopt a dog.. but if you think full timing insurance is hard to get.. try adopting a dog with no fixed address.. :RollEyes:

I know they have to do some checks, they don't want the dog ending up in a stew pot or in a dog fight but none we have contacted will entertain 'full timers' :cry:

What is galling is the ease a teenager can have a kid, get all the state benefits and a house .. all legal ... but we can't adopt a dog .. no wonder they call it a 'dogs life' :Angry:

Jim

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
What is galling is the ease a teenager can have a kid, get all the state benefits and a house .. all legal ... but we can't adopt a dog .. no wonder they call it a 'dogs life' :Angry:
Jim

Hi Jim, absolutely no way is this intended to comment on your life, it must be nice to go whereever you want and whenever.

But I would just like to mention that for a dog stabilty and routine are highly important. They don't care if they live in a cave or a castle but many can get stressed and become ill if there is constant change. Many people don't understand why a dog can get seperation anxiety. It's simply because when you go out the door he doesn't know if you're comming back in 5 minutes, 5 days, or 5 years and something simililar can occur when constantly on the move. He also has no way to know why his surroundings are constantly changing and this can effect his mental state. Some people might even say it could turn him from a friendly loving animal into a nervous and aggressive one.

They cope well enough on holidays and short trips but what they like and need is a place they can call their own with all the smells and sounds that they know and all the same animals (Cats, dogs, etc.) around.

As I say, this in no way implies there's anything wrong with your lifestyle but I hope it goes a little way to explaining why most good rescue centres don't think roaming the high and low roads everyday are good for a dog.

P.S.
Don't get me started on teenage pregnancies ::bigsmile: Agree with you 100%

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Go for it, They are so rewarding and you can return the love and loyalty shown by you dog by giving it a good home and life, in a couple of months you will wounder how you ever managed witout one.
We took ours from the rescue 2 years ago, we never go anywhere now without him.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Well when I arrived at The Tudors at Slimbridge there was 2 families with Newfoundlands who Bruno played with and tonight another 2 have arrived.

Such beautiful dogs.

Bruno is out of hospital but poorly, a bigger operation than I experted but think it will improve his life when recovered.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
our two jack russel cross terorists
bark at car doors slamming
children running past the side boundry fence
the end fence keeping us seperated
from an amenaty field where the youngters play footy

we were a bit aprehensive when we took them away the first time last year
but when we parked up on thetford forrest (ccc site)
we thought they had been struck dumb
didnt bark for 24 hrs
just sat on the passenger and drivers seat
watching the world go by
or on their long leads outside
once the moorhens and chickens had dissapeard
took them back there this year
went on the same walk buster(male)
stopped and looked up the same tree
that a squirrel had run up last visit
(they just confuse him)
one minute on the ground
next minute up the tree looking down
he does try and climb after them
but he hasnt managed yet

no problems taking them out in the van
in the door straight to travel seats
if they have their harnesses on
if not they investigate
they dont like harnesses to be honest never have
but travel harnesses they seem to accept
as part of the price for comming with us
best friends for life

worst part of dogs is they dont quite live as long as us
ooh and when they get wet
the opposite end gets smelly

every one gets the blame except they obviously
unless its our lttle tuppence(female)
she does not like the sound
and runs away from it
enjoy the undivided love and unjudgemental friendship
someone to tell all your problems too
and no one else will ever know

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
just to add get the insurance
tuppence 1 bite by an adder £300
buster 1 cruciate ligament repair operation
cushions in the joint beyond repair
partly succesful £1300

just to say
if you are rehoming an adult dog
ask if you may feed him/her
and take the bowl away before its empty
if it shows no resistance its one danger less
if it growls/snarles you could have problems later edit

Last edited:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
GO GO GO FOR IT!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

What a lovely breed, a "gentle giant" such a wonderful breed , i do envy you, when I first saw your pic of that beautiful dog and your lovely son it made me wonder how folk could be so unkind to animals that are so trusting!

Just a thought though, if travelling with him/her, does your vehicle have air conditioning/climate control (apologies, as a newbie to MH not aware of what has what) that would be one of my main my concerns, although you mentioned not taking him/her abroad, it does get stuffy in vehicles even here in the UK, and they are a large breed and from past experience's when going to shows with my gsd's admittedly in only a 4x4 style vehicle keeping them cool and comfortable was paramount even if only for a 2-4 hour journey

Wishing you all the best, and cant wait to see the pics of your new "baby"

champers

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
GO GO GO FOR IT!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

What a lovely breed, a "gentle giant" such a wonderful breed , i do envy you, when I first saw your pic of that beautiful dog and your lovely son it made me wonder how folk could be so unkind to animals that are so trusting!

Just a thought though, if travelling with him/her, does your vehicle have air conditioning/climate control (apologies, as a newbie to MH not aware of what has what) that would be one of my main my concerns, although you mentioned not taking him/her abroad, it does get stuffy in vehicles even here in the UK, and they are a large breed and from past experience's when going to shows with my gsd's admittedly in only a 4x4 style vehicle keeping them cool and comfortable was paramount even if only for a 2-4 hour journey

Wishing you all the best, and cant wait to see the pics of your new "baby"

champers

Thanks champers.
Yes are van does have aircon in the hab area. Also though a big van is much more airey than a car i suppose. She really is a lovely dog, although i cant say anyone was cruel to her (at 1k+ a pup it would surprise me) she has just had some bad circumstances. My wife says she is a daddys girl and its amazing how well she has taken to me. Today we have been for a swim and she loved it, a long walk and return home for a brush and hose down.
She's great fun and everything i ever thought owning a dog would be, already very obedient and does as she is asked wihtout fuss, even better than the kids!!:ROFLMAO:

maxitai

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
LINCOLNSHIRE
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
23 YEARS
Hi haganap

We have a number of dogs and we are barking i know but we do take 2 of
them away with us, they are bernese mountain dogs and pretty big but they leave little mess.
My wife covers the end lounge and protects other bits in the van
for instance ,we had an auto trail for 5 years and when we traded it in, the dealer said it looked almost new, once the covers were removed.
You could contact a rescue society for the breed and put your name down.or wait for it, buy a puppy, about £900 to £1200 !!!! Ouch!
Paul

ps...... The bernese do not slobber, thats why we chose them

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Go for it,:thumb: re-homing is a good way to go.
We rehomed a badly treated poodle who was 9 and for the rest of his life he was the best friend I had.
We have always had at least two dogs at a time and they have always been re-homed ones. I find that once they are used to you they seem to be forever gratefull, and reward you in so many ways.:thumb::thumb:

Joan Dave and Dogs

arielultra

Free Member
Jul 20, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We got our 1st ever dog last year. We were advised by various people to get a puppy (I had thought it might be easier to rehome a dog for our 1st).
We got a lovely lab/ collie-cross puppy from the local dog home, and haven't regretted it for a minute. She's a great addition to the family, and loves going away in the van.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Now I understand "Gypsy in Training" on your posts, I had missed this post with the pic somehow (I am still trying to find my way around this great site) and have only just seen it

Gypsy is beautiful, a gorgeous coat - isn't it a great feeling when any animal that has been abused in their past life starts to trust in you, we had this privilege with a blue and gold macaw

We are very lucky that we have a wonderful dog sitter for our GSD's when we go away, they hate going into kennels (must add they were always well looked after when kennelled) although they are oldies now who are used to their routine and as having 7 dogs in the past it was not possible to take them all with us(although now only 3)

I too strongly advise getting insurance, our macaw's vet bill I still wince when I think of how much -we would repeat again if we had to, only we didnt have insurance that time

Knowing you will enjoy every moment with Gypsy

champers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back