Has anyone walked Hadrians wall using moho as a base (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2014
CHESHIRE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
1 YEAR
Has anyone walked Hadrians wall using moho as a base
If you have what was the best way to do it

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I haven't walked the wall, but I can see part of it from my kitchen window. Between April and October there is a bus that runs the length and should give the opportunity to travel along the wall, then walk back

<Broken link removed>

General Info:

http://hadrianswallcountry.co.uk/stay/stay-northumberland

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I have looked at the route and there are some camp sites along it and there must be some good wild camp sites. I'm the walker in our house, Allan definitely isn't so I thought it would be good if a small group got together so half walked the route and the other half drove to the next stopover and got meals and beer ready to enjoy. Not sure how else it could work so will watch this thread with interest.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Depending when you are thinking of doing the walk if it's the (best) middle section I may be able to be of assistance. I live near Haltwhistle and know of a couple of wilding spots and could possibly help out driving your MH between sites. Failing that I may be able to assist with transport back to your van.

OP
OP
WOOOODENTOP
Apr 19, 2014
CHESHIRE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
1 YEAR
Depending when you are thinking of doing the walk if it's the (best) middle section I may be able to be of assistance. I live near Haltwhistle and know of a couple of wilding spots and could possibly help out driving your MH between sites. Failing that I may be able to assist with transport back to your van.
The wild camping locations would be great thanks

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Offer stands for anyone visiting provided we are at home, which is not often

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
It's about 84 miles according to one of the sites I've been on. I'd certainly be interested in walking it and If we went as a group it would be good as Allan wouldn't do it. I had to do the Pembroke coast on my own. I'd be happy to see if I can map out an itinerary with campsites if anyone wants. Thinking September might be a good month weather wise?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I could be interested if my van's arrived by then. For me it would have to be using the bus-there-and-walk-back option as @Clickem mentioned.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I could be interested if my van's arrived by then. For me it would have to be using the bus-there-and-walk-back option as @Clickem mentioned.
This could be an option which would also mean that everyone who wants to will be able to do the walk and wouldn't mean solos would miss out. Instead of moving on every day you could pick a site between two sections and stay for a couple of nights. You would then walk 1 way first day and bus back and then opposite way next day and bus back. Then move camps and repeat until you've finished. Would mean a bit more planning so the day you move sites you could do a small walk in the afternoon and then a longer one the day after. Any thoughts anyone?

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
84 miles are you lot MAD? It takes me all me time to walk to the club for a couple of pints are doon the road for fish and chips. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
84 miles are you lot MAD? It takes me all me time to walk to the club for a couple of pints are doon the road for fish and chips. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!
... might take more than one day over it though Tick ... ;)

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
If you're that keen to walk a wall wait a few years and go to America and do the Great Trump Wall of Mexico.
Now that would be a real challenge.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Allan and Loren, should you decide as you suggested to map out an itinerary for this walk how long would you be thinking of doing the route in, a week perhaps, or more.
Also which way would you be thinking of doing it, East-West or West-East.
I have a sister who lives at Heddon on the Wall which is about half way, she can't drive vans but would be there should something unforseen crop up.
Hope this comes off as I have been wanting to do it for quite awhile, I would be even happier if we were running it should anyone feel like minded, seriously.
Norman.
Edit, I would be travelling alone if anyone wanted to be a passenger.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Norman,
I'm open to length of itinerary but would suggest 7/9 days as some of the time we'll be travelling/set up, etc and we want to enjoy it too. No preference whether east-west or vice versa. I'll do some research and see what I can come up with. I think we could get a group of like minded walkers up for the challenge.
Loren

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I'd certainly like to join in - I've run the South Downs Way a couple of times (when I was much younger!!), and a (fairly) leisurely stroll in September sounds good. I'll keep an eye on this thread.......
Andy

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Being from Newcastle but happily exiled in Yorkshire since 91 I would prefer East-West walking away from the place but happy either way really.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Being from Newcastle but happily exiled in Yorkshire since 91 I would prefer East-West walking away from the place but happy either way really.
Apparently east-west is how the Romans built it and the advised direction so I'll plan it that way.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I always plan my motorcycle trips East to West when possible so that you're not setting out in the morning into a low, blinding sun. (y) :)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Unfortunately the wind direction is predominantly West to East so we will be walking into the weather and when it rains, not IF but WHEN

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I can confirm that the prevailing wind from the West should be taken into account, when choosing the direction to walk in, although the majority of walkers that pass through our village are going East to West. What you call wind we just think of as a good drying day

Don't forget the Romans did this in skirts and sandals

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I can confirm that the prevailing wind from the West should be taken into account, when choosing the direction to walk in, although the majority of walkers that pass through our village are going East to West. What you call wind we just think of as a good drying day

Don't forget the Romans did this in skirts and sandals
..... but they had hairy legs.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
..... but they had hairy legs.

And that was just the women :).

On a more serious note, I was looking forward to a month away in the sun after 4y of almost continuous babysitting, before a hospital appointment at the start of October. Then on Friday, middle child said "can you look after the kids on 16th Sept so we can go to a wedding?" followed by husband saying on Saturday "and also 2nd Sep so I can go to the stag do?". ;) Hence, a walk along the Wall could become a possible attraction.

Please keep us informed - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back