Has anyone successfully used an unlocked R215 mifi with a Three SIM?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Flamenca, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I have just purchased a used unlocked R215 4G Vodafone mifi. It is definitely unlocked as it accepts my Three network mobile internet SIM (which works in my 3G mifi unit). I have not been able to get a connection to the internet on the Three netwok. I have dabbled with the connection settings to no avail.

Has anyone successfully used an R215 on the Three network or been aple to flash the device with original Huawei firmware?

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Flamenca

Thanks, I have looked at the APN. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I need to flash the Huawei firmware to replace the Vodafone variant.

4. andy63

andy63 Funster

As minx said on that device you have to enter the correct apn and password for relevant sim.
    APN: 3internet
    Username: [leave blank]
    Password: [leave blank]
    If you have no luck I'll try mine when I'm home and get back..but that's likely to be Monday. .. hopefully you will be sorted by then..
    Ta andy
    P's there is another box that requires a number in it... forget what it's labeled but it won't work without it been completed.. think I used 8080 and got sorted with that... from memory lol..

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Flamenca

Andy @andy63 I have still not fathomed the full setup for the unlocked R215. It wil be very helpful if you let me know all the settings on yours.
    Many thanks,
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

7. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

"User who want to remove Vodafone branding totally, can update the firmware with Huawei E5372."
    Quote from link above.

8. Flamenca

Thanks. If I fail to set up the R215 settings I will flash the device with the firmware listed on that site (y)

9. andy63

andy63 Funster

Hi Chris. .
    I've just put my 3 data sim in the unlocked Vodafone mobile Wi fi that I got a last year... It's working straight away so I must have set it up with the 3 sim a while back and forgotten .
    Anyway a screen shot of the relevant admin page may help you..(http://192.168.0.1 ) then under mobile broadband and the sub menu on the left click connections... Make sure your boxes look like the ones in the attached shot and hopefully it will work...
    Screenshot_2016-01-31-14-34-18.png

10. andy63

andy63 Funster

You will see that the apn that works in mine is the word ''everywhere'' and not 3 Internet as I posted earlier before I got home and had a look..
    Was right about the 8080 number required in the box below that so I'm not altogether senile yet lol..
    Hope you get sorted..
    Andy
    P's I'm actually using the device to post all this so it is connected and working..
    If the signal strength displayed on the unit ia red that would indicate your signal is not good enough... ramble over lol..

• Like Like x 1
  11. Flamenca

Thanks Andy @andy63. I will try those settings (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Flamenca

Hi Andy, @andy63 I drove to a location with a 3G signal this morning and the R215 mifi connected immediately to the Three network using your settings. Many thanks for your help (y) Fingers crossed it will work on 'Feel at Home' roaming in Spain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. andy63

andy63 Funster

Thanks for getting back Chris. .
    I'm more puzzled now..
    I've had my sim in 3 mifi units now and im fairly certain I've got different apn info in each and it works in them all (n).. see what you've started :LOL:.. I'll be trying to grt to the bottom of that..
    Pleased you're sorted...and have a great time in Spain with or without wifi.
    Ta andy

14. Flamenca

It is a mystery as my Huawei E5336 3G mifi works on different settings to the R215. The only reason I bought the R215 was to enable me to connect an external antenna :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

'3' has different APN settings - when we used to be with them for our main broadband and were having problems they'd tell us of other ones to try to see if the connection was better, there was one for MIFIs/dongles, and at least one for phones but they weren't exclusive to that type of equipment so a phone one could be used with our MIFI (E5776)

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. mhb

mhb

I'm just about to take delivery of one of these unlocked Vodafone MiFi units and I 'm intending to use it with an already owned EE PAYG SIM. What seems confusing to me is how the APN 'everywhere', which I believe is unique to EE, can possibly allow connection to the 3 Network. Can anyone throw any light on this situation?

17. Minxy Girl

It can't, you need to change the APN settings when you get the MIFI. I've got one of those and have done it without a problem.

Start the MIFI first with the original sim if it came with one to ensure it works okay, if not just put in the '3' sim - see my posting #26 on the below thread, although it's a different model of MIFI the method is the same:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...-do-i-need-with-it.125242/page-2#post-1752431

18. mhb

mhb

I would have agreed with you Minxy Girl but connecting to 3 Network whilst having APN set to 'everywhere' seems to be what is happening for both andy63 and Flamenca! I'll just have to suck it and see when I get mine tomorrow.

19. Minxy Girl

It could be that they now come with some pre-installed software that can now automatically detect and set-up the MIFI to use other sims, or it could be that the unit has the APNs 'hidden' in it somewhere and it is using those ... if it works I wouldn't worry!

20. mhb

mhb

Well, my unlocked Ex Vodafone Huawei E5372 R215 MiFi arrived lunchtime today (a day early). Using an online manual from the site below, I've quite quickly and painlessly set it up to work with my EE SIM.

https://vodafone.intelliresponse.co...3779f2aad9d3&question=Pocket+WiFi+user+guides

The only settings I needed to input are as follows.
    APN = everywhere
    Number = 8080
    Username = eesecure
    Password = secure

Hope this helps somebody else.

• Like Like x 1