Has Anyone here actually taken a dog to Morocco??

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by sallys, Apr 13, 2013.

1. sallys

sallys Read Only Funster

Hi All
    On recommendation from TheOnlySue who we met at Setthorns last week, we have joined your friendly site and are posting for the first time.
    Sue says there are loads of Morocco experts on here who will be able to fill in the blanks for us on the 6 month trip we are planning that will hopefully include November and December in Morocco.
    We have a dog and have established what is required to take him over and more importantly to bring him back. What I am struggling to find is experience from people who have taken their dog with them, and the difficulties that they have encountered. How easy is it to exercise a dog off lead, are there restrictions on where you can take them (souks etc), any problems with stray dogs etc etc
    Any advice/info you can give would be hugely appreciated. Going with out little man is not an option but the more we see/read about Morocco the more we want to go.
    Thanks for any help
    SallyS

• Like Like x 2
  2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Welcome..
    We were with Sue on the recent Morocco trip..
    Cant help with anything specific but one of the group "Cydersid" had their dog along with them. Plenty of French seem to take them, so cant see it being a major issue.
    Hopefully someone will come along with all your answers.
    Morocco. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Elaine and I are interested in this too as our white rat of a westy will be coming with us in new year as Elaine's has told me no rat no trip
    I did say they could both stop at home then I would go on my own
    The pain and bruises will eventually go away

• Like Like x 3
  4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

More importantly has any one brought their dog back:Eeek:
    There were a few dodgy looking Tagines on the Menu out there:Wink:

• Like Like x 6
  5. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

I've taken my dog to France & there was enough information given to me from our Vet to even reconsider that again.
    Main problem is taking them outside their environment, it leaves them open to virus's, biohazards and parasites that they have no immunity to and I don't think they can be innoculated against everything.
    Its a calculated risk, there are websites that can inform you locally what to look out for, for instance in the Dordogne last year sandflies (that carried a really nasty disease) were a problem but more so in an evening so I made sure the dog was back in the Van by dusk. There were also stretches of the river where dogs had died of a bio infection so we avoided those areas as well.
    Its all about being informed and then balancing the risk.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Theres just as many problems staying at home, our local park had some nasty disease that caused a lot of grief to local dogs. In Spain SWMBO and myself were bitten by sandflies. Meg wasn't because of her flea/tick stuff. Pity they don't make it for humans.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jez and Lin

Hey I'm not going to argue with a Hospital Pharmasist :Smile: Our Vet just said that as well as the obvious vaccinations dogs have for such as Parvo Virus they gain a background immunity to things that could cause them grief by just living in their environment, the same is true for us I suppose.
    Take us out of that & what happens, we get the shits a bit of a growly stomach possibly other things a bit more debilitating & again its probably the same for dogs.
    Couple that up with hot weather & long travel distances & if you're not right on it your dog could be suffering.

8. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Leishmaniasis

Leishmaniasis is caused by sandflies and is now fairly prevelant in most Mediterranean countries. There is now some treatment for it however it is not always successful.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_dg_leishmaniasis#.UWl2TSBwbIU

We take our dogs to Crete frequently (in fact one of our dogs is Cretan) and although we know about this disease it has not stopped us taking them. They can just as easily get other nasty diseases from a walk in the local park/wood in the UK such as Weil's disease caused by rat's urine.

My main concern for our dogs when we are travelling is being attacked by stray marauding dogs. No idea whether this is a problem in Morocco, however I would suggest you take your dog regardless - a holiday isn't a holiday without your best friend with you is it? :Smile::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bluemerle

Bluemerle Read Only Funster

I don't see how taking your dog "outside their environment" is any different to taking yourself to a new environment.
    Dogs die in this country from strange illness that cannot be traced, blue algea kills dogs. Dogs died after walks in New Forest, Sandringham estate, to name just two places.
    Vets are now promoting treatment against your dog getting Lung worm, caught by eating slugs or anything that slugs have made contact with. So unless your dog never leaves a house, then every dog is at risk.

I have never taken my dog to Morroco, but would have thought the biggest issue to contend with is offending the local population, who through religous beliefs consider dogs to be dirty animals!
    Whateveryour beliefs it is their country.

I look forward to hearing from people that have taken dogs, as it is on my list of places to visit.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jez and Lin

Yes but they are or should be innoculated against Weils Disease (Leptospirosis) that's my whole point they aren't covered by innoculation or due to environmental protection in places like Morocco that's why I feel its important to be informed about theregion you are visiting & take sensible precautions including speaking to your Vet.

11. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Personally I have not taken a dog to Morocco but a friend travelling with me did twice. the main problem was he could not use public transport as although it was common practice to see goats and sheep on the bus, dogs are not allowed on. Most taxies will not allow them on either, they do allow some strange people to share your ride though.
    Those were the main problems my mate had.

• Like Like x 1
  12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

do like lots do .leave the dog with a friend in spain .
    many morrocans have dogs as pets .
    there is no religous reason for them not to have them. just black dogs hang around in shadows and bite the marocs feet when passing . dogs go all over the place . run around and have loads of fun .
    yes there can be dog fights there is a pack sorting out to happen. but then tourists dogs abroad or in uk have to sort them selves out .
    you may be asked for the proof of the tetra result of the blood test that uk dogs used to need . new passport dogs wont have had one .but its wise to have it done here in uk before going abroad any way.
    i know dogs that have been going to maroc all their life every winter .

13. themogs

themogs Funster

They eat dog out there, don't they.......
    or is that Hong Kong ???
    Dog on a stick springs to mind !!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Has anybody managed to answer the OP's post - can a dog be taken into Maroc?

15. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Still waiting for a positive reply but I think the answer is yes
    But then what do I know

16. Snowbird

I thought I had. The answer is yes.

17. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Sorry snowbird I had seen that
    But do we need any thing different to what's needed for eu country's entry exit rules I have looked on a few sites and all seem to differ slightly
    I have tried defra site and I don't have a degree in gobaldygook

If I can't sort it we may have to change our plans for next year as Elaine will not leave dog in care for so long

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snowbird

The rules are changing constantly. I was talking to someone only the other day regarding parrots being moved around Europe. When I enquired some years ago it was an absolute nightmare, but now its simple. The only sure way is to contact DEFRA and ask if any extra measures must be taken. My friend who took his dog was Dutch and I know he had the dog passport up to date as he often visits Norway where the rules are stricter as they are not in the EU. Morocco as you know is not Europe and although you will have no problems taking your dog there and bringing it back to Spain as no checks are made regarding the pet passport, you may have a problem on re entry to the UK when they see the Moroccan stamp in YOUR passport if you follow my drift :Wink:.
    As I said earlier, the only safe way is to contact DEFRA to clarify the situation.

19. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Dave you've hit the nail on the head 'problem is re entry into the UK'. Morocco is an 'unlisted country' on the Defra site - from our understanding non listed countries require the rabies jab and blood test - which was how it used to be for Europe.

This therefore suggests that a positive blood test is required and then a 3 calendar month wait before re-entry into UK. The implication is you can be away for 3 months and then re enter the UK. However, implied interpretations are no good when you are facing the UK Borders Agency. The only sure way is to contact a vet who is Defra registered to issue pet passports, and get a written answer from them.

Incidentally we are faced with the same predicament. Can we take the dog? If not we will have to stay over the other side of the Med.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snowbird

My "Moroccan" guard dog Coco, when off duty on the beach at Tagazout. When on duty, he is a make my day dog :Cool:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2