Has anyone had their motorhome weighed by the police whilst in France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Sue, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Sue

Sue Funster

We are totally on the limit with our payload...just can't work out how to reduce it...
    How do you manage! . And has anyone actually had their MH weighed by the authorities whilst away? Any stories to tell?

2. B-well

B-well Funster

No just dump some fresh water and open grey waste valve :reel: that lightens the load,

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cavs

Cavs Funster

No, never, either abroad or in the UK in 12 years. In the UK only police with a special 'weighing ticket' can order you to travel to a weigh bridge, and then only if there is one within a certain distance. Not all traffic police have such authority. In my experience, motorhomes are likely to be weighed only as part of a campaign, not as an individual initiative (unless they look obviously overloaded with sagging springs, etc.) Such campaigns often involve VOSA or other authorities' staff who do the weighing.

If all that deals with the likelihood of being caught, you should consider carefully the safety aspects of being overloaded: instability, inadequate braking, excessive tyre strain, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Carrying FULL water tank is a waste of fuel. 120lts is around 100kilos ( correct 120 kilos ) you could save. We travel with 20lts in a plastic container and top up / fill up on site. Same as food - why carry loads of food when you can shop just short of site. Travelling with 1/2 tank of fuel can save you weight as well - yes I know more stops...... but your in no rush. Every kilo counts when your on the limit.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Have you been over a weigh bridge? Are you sure your on the max? Having your vehicle MGW increased may be the answer and there are plenty of threads on here about it or try the tips above.

6. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

120l is actually 120 kilos!
    The density of any substance is the mass (in kg) of the substance posessed by unit volume( 1 cubic meter) of the substance. The Density of Water is approximately 1000Kg/m3. Hence converted in litre, density of water becomes 1 Kg/Litre.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

That's ok if you are going to a site with a water tap and nearby shop. We always travel with a full water tank and well stocked up on supplies.
    But, we have around a 500kgpayload, excluding me, 80% water and fuel.
    We have travelled home with an almost empty tank and low on food but never noticed our fuel consumption change. We also have the cab air con on all the time.
    You can save more fuel by anticipating road conditions, braking gently and accelerating gently. Or, just fill the tank and drive.....

• Like Like x 8
  8. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    Not me, but some friends were stopped and weighed in France last year, they were ok so no prob's. Pete

9. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Very good if you use sites, not so good if you don't. Anything you don't have with you can easily become a problem. We carry enough water to last at least 3 days, and enough food to last at least the same. If we find a spot we like, and want to stay at for a few days, we don't want to lose it or have to move on just because we can't get water there or a running out of food.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Firstly the OP question was "limit with our payload"
    I'm been "off grid" for 29+ days now ( don't use sites in the UK as they are rip off ) and not had any problems with getting drinking water and getting food and staying in one place for 10+ days. If you read the OP they asked about weight, so I gave them some ideas on how to travel lighter.
    DON'T shoot the messenger...........

• Like Like x 4
  11. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Sue asked about how people managed, had anyone been weighed and had anyone a story to tell. I answered the question about how we managed. Carrying full water and plenty of food is only a waste of fuel if you don't need it. Each to their own...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Water is really heavy.

Why only this weekend I was struggling with a bucket of grey waste trying to tip it in the hedge without my neighbour seeing me.

• Like Like x 11
  13. Badknee

Badknee Funster

That's daft, why struggle and have a bad back for the rest of your holiday, just leave the grey waste tank tap open, easy innitt. :whistle:

:reel:

• Like Like x 5
  14. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Oh my word your going to get slatted for that post:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Never, ever leave the grey waste tap open when you are parked. How on earth do you think that French criminals inject their anaesthetic gas into the van???

• Like Like x 6
  16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

They don't do it that way anymore, according to top racing driver it's delivered down the aircono_O

Sorry to the OP I aways said I would not digress on subjects. Slapped wrist.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Why DQ? Just watering the parched grass under my MoHo, I ALWAYS close it before going out on the pristine grease, oil, diesel, mud free roads of our great country. ............. Honest. :whistle:

Haha, caught one :reel: Next! :active:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Oh bugger, never thought of that! (n)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Great tip, thanks.

This forum is great. Little tips like that save so much time and trouble, not to mention effort(y)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

None the less good idea for OP - do not travel with gray waste full - saves weight. Back on topic.

• Like Like x 3