Has anyone got a good one ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Apr 1, 2014.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

What a sorry lot of posts today, damp, recalls, engines with no oil , are bad ones more common than good uns nowerdays, how anyone can read this forum and then go out and spend 50 grand sometimes escapes me, unless it's all to do with the date today:Eeek:
    Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but of my immediate round of friends and relations, we must have been through at least 20 mhs including old ones and what we have now and never met up with any damp in any of them, but the newest of them is 08 so that's maybe something to do with it:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes mine is very good :Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I did a conversion, so none of the aforementioned problems.

But may change in a few years and will choose very carefully.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

I'm very happy with mine but then it's not in the same league as alot of the ones on here.
    Being a 1999 PVC and worth considerably less than £50K, it's far less modern and technical too so maybe that also contributes something towards its reliability...:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mel

Mel Funster

Yes I am Happy with my Motorhome

any problems where sorted.

Mel

6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I am happy with ours. Love it in fact.

I expect it will get damp in it at some stage but there are worse things in life.

7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We sold our 09 van which was only a year old and went back to the one we have now which is nearly 12 years old for that very reason quality. We spent a huge amount of money on a van that looked amazing but in reality was substandard quality wise and quickly started to give problems. Leaks draughts and bits falling off. We quickly realised we'd made a big mistake and sold it in less than a year and luckily got most of our money back. We then looked for quality rather than cosmetic and after 6 months found this van which is amazing and we just love it the best van we've ever owned. Hopefully unless we win the lottery we'll keep this until we downsize and then we'll probably go for a panel van saw a Auto Sleeper Kingham the other day looked fabulous amazing how much they can get in a panel van.

• Like Like x 1
  8. connie

connie Read Only Funster

problems

10 years old no problems

• Like Like x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

I knew as soon as I posted this would be the responses , how the hell do you put up with such poor workmanship as if it's expected, the money they cost they should be right first time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I have no complaints re our 2009 chausson on 3 litre fiat.. Love it in fact..

11. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

I was talking to a couple last week who paid £47K for a new MoHo from Brownhills seven years ago .
    They managed 145 miles before it broke down, never to go (for them at least) again.
    When they called the dealer they were told that they had actually bought the Unit FOUR HOURS before the company went bust and was taken over by someone else so they weren't interested.
    The manufacturer didn't want to know either it seems.
    Apparently it took 9 months of legal wrangling by their finance company's solicitor before they got it all sorted out.
    Not happy bunnies and it's put them off buying again.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  12. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Don't look too closely !!!

Just started on the shower tray ! :cry:

I will give Elddis their due, The executive decision to use the tray that is in my van must have taken years of researching and many sleepless nights before reaching a decision Their Boffins(buffoons) must have spent countless hours scouring every cheap jack, mickey mouse, plastics manufacturer in the known world. what a piece of Shit !

Life expectancy- just long enough to get out of the dealers yard.

The lassies I bought it from said they never used it as a shower ? I believe them as there is no evidence of water having leaked under the tray !

I want to clad the walls but don't fancy cutting out the profile of the wash stand, Is there an easy way ? Using 3mm plastic panels. I have got my High density foam acrylic shower tray and I am confident about cutting it to size and with a 3/4 marine ply base to it, it should be solid as a rock ?

Things we do for fun !!

13. sedge

sedge Funster

Why should anyone 'expect to have damp at some stage' ?

• Like Like x 5
  14. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

We get ours damp checked at the factory each year and the only issue that I have had with damp inside is when Dawn spilled the wine on the carpet...... :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

With all the stresses placed on the various joints during normal driving, the joint sealant is bound to give at some point, that's why regular servicing, damp checking and occasional re-sealing is recommended but you shouldn't have to put up with it on a new Unit.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Absolutely and one of the reasons we went back in age at 12 years not a spec of damp anywhere in our van and it gets used all year round even in the alps for skiing.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I haven't had any poor workmanship to "put up with".

I suspect that almost any van will get damp at some stage in its life, but with regular maintenance and inspection you would hope that the extent of it will not be too great or too costly.

By the way, this thread is beginning to deteriorate into one of those where people are berated for their choice of van.

Its as bad as being told how much we are allowed to pay each night on a campsite.:Doh:

• Like Like x 5
  18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I think "met" is the operative word. Sooner or later most lightweight timber framed, alloy skinned houses are going to get some.

The thing is to catch it quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

My old apache 700 was a 2005 model, we bought at 2 years old in 2007..
    Had it for 5 years and was solid.. Only minor issue we had was a seal on the fire flue and some loose sealent on the overhead bed.. Both easily resolved prior to selling it privatly.

My new van is a 2012, same model apache 700.. I cant fault the new cab and engine, drives like a dream.. The improvements to locker space, wider track of the chassis, lighting, electrical controls are all much better...

The let down is this damn water ingress.. Mine got sorted by the factory BUT lets face it, should not be happening with year old vans !!!! Even while i was in Spain I met someone with a Tag axle Autotrail only 1 year old.. You guessed it Damp in the offside wall !!! Since then I have read several Autotrail damp threads.... Love the van and had several Autotrails in the past but seriously now looking at other brands....

20. maz

maz Funster

I don't 'put up' with anything. :wub: Those of you who know me, know that I will just keep on until any problems are sorted to my satisfaction. :Wink:

Overall build quality is very good - sturdy panels, well put together, no sign of damp (tho' that might be tempting fate as I'm having this year's hab check done in 3 weeks time :BigGrin:).

I've had a few niggles with serial water leaks from cheap and nasty water pipe connectors and manifolds. Since I insisted they were replaced with 'proper' connections I've had no further problems. Touch wood .......

The fridge/freezer was not installed in a draught-free manner - regrettably an all-too-common occurrence with many motorhome manufacturers. :RollEyes: I stood my ground until it was re-installed correctly.

The above are problems that I lay firmly at Hobby's door - caused by cutting corners on the production line. :Angry:

The more people that make these issues known on forums such as these the better. :Smile:

• Like Like x 3