Has Anyone Fit Lpg Refillable Bottles Into Their Rapido A Class? (1 Viewer)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Mine is a 2009 9010df.

What size bottles will fit in there? I ask as I reckon 2 11kg bottles might just go in there but don't want to get something that won't fit, so thinking about a 6 & 11 combination.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got 2 x 11kg Gaslow bottles in mine. They fit fine. The filler is in the skirt to the LHS of the locker door.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi TheWM yes we fitted 2x11 allugas and put the filler in the skirt no problem(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Thanks guys. I'm still a bit nervous about putting the filler in the skirt. I was just going to go for an in locker system but have heard that this may still raise eyebrows. Drilling into the skirt, was the skirt braced in someway?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
IMG_1511.jpg
IMG_1512.jpg

Reactions: JJ

brightsparkretired

Free Member
Nov 30, 2011
cumbria
Funster No
MH
Swift Freestyle 580PR
Exp
Since 1996
Yes just 1 but had to take off the door casing to squeeze it in. No problem
Tel

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Thanks guys. I'm still a bit nervous about putting the filler in the skirt. I was just going to go for an in locker system but have heard that this may still raise eyebrows. Drilling into the skirt, was the skirt braced in someway?
Also I just wondered was drilling a hole in the gas cupboard was legally OK ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

The skirt is just plastic so really easy to drill. I didn't fit the Gaslow myself but I did fit the external BBQ point (see photo in previous post) and it's fine. No bracing or anything, both the Gaslow filler and the Bullfinch point are just fixed to the skirt.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
No didn't brace mine the skirt is pretty substantial,just keep the filler as close to the door as pos,on the left-side looking at the door(y)

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
image.jpg
Hmm. That locker looks bigger than mine?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
View attachment 64709 Hmm. That locker looks bigger than mine?

I doubt it. Looks the same to me.

If it helps the locker on mine measures approx 770mm high x 660mm wide x 320mm deep.

The bottles measure approx 560mm high including the valve gubbins on top x 280mm diamater.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
image.jpg
I doubt it. Looks the same to me.

If it helps the locker on mine measures approx 770mm high x 660mm wide x 320mm deep.

The bottles measure approx 560mm high including the valve gubbins on top x 280mm diamater.

Actually thanks on second viewing seems the same. I'm planning to try and install it myself if anyone has any tips?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
View attachment 64710

Actually thanks on second viewing seems the same. I'm planning to try and install it myself if anyone has any tips?

If you aren't 100% confident then get someone else to do it. If you are confident...

If you're keeping your existing changeover arrangement fitting the bottles isn't much different to changing the Calor ones. Just make sure all the connections are tight.

When you come to fit the filler in the skirt double check everything, including behind it to make sure nothings in the way, before you drill any holes.

I would buy a pot of Hawk White or similar for the joints and also a bottle of leak tester at the same time.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Cheers. Yes I'm keeping the existing arrangement as they are German I understand that I will not need a new pigtail or similar. I'm not 100% confident but need to start doing things like this - spent too much time paying others to do jobs that I could do with enough research and asking the right questions. I will be asking a gas fitter friend of mine to overlook my work at the time as safety is paramount.

Does anyone know whether it is worth getting the auto change over valve? I'm guessing with my existing truma duocomfort means that it's unnecessary?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We kept the existing auto changeover in ours so I don't see any reason why you can't do the same.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Thanks. Come on gas it get some more stock in!!!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I kept the original one fitted to the Rapido.
Two 11kg no proplem

Mel

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
IMG_20150224_122055.jpg

What is behind the area where the side reflector is ? . on mine the LPG filler is mounted in the aluminium skirt , which is under the floor in fresh air , then the flexy hose goes along to the left and up between the 2 gas cylinders through a hole I drilled in the gas cupboard floor and up to the auto changeover valve .
Try to avoid going into your habitation space as then you have to put a shroud around the pipework and vent it outside , one more thing to worry about !
Although my filler is external , many people on here have mounted it in the cupboard . if you get told off , move on .

You have the luxury of a qualified friend , consult him and go for it !

p.s. my filler isn't braced , it doesn't move so I left it be . if mounted in fibreglass I would brace it as the flexing may crack the gel coat .

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
nothing there. It's fiberglass although there is some metal behind already bracing it I have just felt. Not been underneath to have a look yet as its wet outside.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Are you sure it's fibreglass? It's good old plastic on mine.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
That's a good point. It's probably plastic now you've mentioned it. Even tougher!

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
image.jpg
Here's a pic of behind the panel. Nothing there. I may try to add an additional brace. Not sure what's the best way to affix it. The one that is already there although not seen in the pic is riveted on. No more nails?

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Actually just seen that the guns are pretty cheap. Might as well get one.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
IMG_1444.jpg

This is the BBQ point not the gas filler but the principle is the same. I just used penny washers and nylon locknuts. It's pretty solid with no bracing.

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
This is the BBQ point not the gas filler but the principle is the same. I just used penny washers and nylon locknuts. It's pretty solid with no bracing.

Thanks Nick - having looked at your earlier pic I cannot see where the bolt goes in through the other side (unless it's hidden behind the cover?)

Did you attach them first before drilling the hole?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Like I said, the picture is of a Bullfinch external BBQ point not the Gaslow filler. I didn't fit mine so I don't know exactly how it fixes. I've been out and had a look under the van and I can't see any fixings either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back