Has anyone actually been through euro tunnel last day or two (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Done 305 miles from home, now parked up at nuncq hautecote, had a steady run all the way no hold ups, had a couple of rest stops and dinner, not seen any slow traffic, not an immigrant or a gendarme all the way(y):)
Those that canciled have really missed out.
By the way this aire is as good as it looks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just another plus here, full wifi , no aerial, no nowt , emmerdale on film on in hd on iPad (y)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All the way 300miles to watch Emeroid dale?. More fun pulling your own teeth without anaesthetic!.:(:whistle:

Pete
Just trying it mate. All this talk of VPN and fancy aerial s and stuff, got nothing but iPad and phone, can get all uk TV

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Please keep this thread going whilst there are potential issues and disruption at either the tunnel or port of Calais. We go out via the tunnel next Wednesday morning at 7:50am.

My wife keeps reading the Mail online which seems to enjoy winding up more trouble than there really is. Now they've been on about that Katie Hopkins, one of their reporters, getting caught up in a tear gas attack by police so she must have put herself in the firing line if she was on the wrong end of tear gas from the police.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Abacist, we travelled via Eurotunnel from Calais to Folkestone late this afternoon, it was more or less as it normally is these days, pretty quiet, more staff/security than previously, an enormous amount of fencing and barbed/razor wire all over. The French customs were more thorough than normal but very polite, British Border Control likewise.
Almost event free except delays as a few trains were cancelled, probably added 2 - 2 1/2 hours to the crossing but maybe we were just unlucky?
No immigrants anywhere but this may be due to the time of day, usually when we cross in this direction we do see a handful of young men around somewhere during the evening or night.
As with everything it's possible to get unlucky, but the chances of getting caught up in something unpleasant are probably very very low. We cross each way via the tunnel about 10 times each year, so far we have never had a problem with mainly 1 - 4 am crossings but as said it may happen next time but don't think the chances are very high.

I think journos look for or even create trouble, it's their job to have something to write about.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The wife seems more relaxed and as far as I'm concerned, no news must really be good news. Looking forward to Wednesday morning 7:50 train through the tunnel and holidays at last! Going for a relaxed drive down to Perpignan then along the southern coast of Spain.

Lots of new gadgets to test out on our month long trip!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We came last Tuesday, the day after the go slow, arrived half an hour early never saw either an immigrant or a gendarm, and now half way down France and still only seen a couple of police, don't worry about it just enjoy.

R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
We were on the euro tunnel on Saturday night and had a great run up from Lac D'Orient. We were off the motorway and at check in before we knew it. It was so easy. A bit selfish but I was glad I didn't see anything as it would have really upset me, there but for the grace of God and all that...

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We were wine shopping in Calais Saturday 10th, no sign of trouble but a very high police presence everywhere.

Crossed over via tunnel on Sunday mid day. No delays, no police, no problems at all.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We were wine shopping in Calais Saturday 10th, no sign of trouble but a very high police presence everywhere.

Crossed over via tunnel on Sunday mid day. No delays, no police, no problems at all.
Back home safely but wishing you were back again no doubt!:(

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Came from Calais to UK Sunday 11th on 12:50 train no bother at all

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Came back this morning, no delays at all, was an hour early and offered to be put on the next crossing, from accepting i think we were back in the Uk in about 45mins, and that was with the French customs checking our van for little pesky migrants and drugs.
Police making themselves noticed even at 6am in the morning around gravelines

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Travelled out this morning on the tunnel. Booked for 7:50 but arrived early and was offered 6:50 which we took.

Absolutely no trouble, no hint of blockades or immigrants, just a few French army and police.

Got some cheap diesel at Carrefour in Boulogne at 1.09 per litre.

Overnighting at an aire in Nonancourt between Evreux and Chartres. Evidently we destroyed the town in the 15th century - Ooooops!

Cheery man at the tunnel said he'd been loading nothing but camper vans all last week. He didn't think there could be any left in the UK!

MIFI working OK now after report of no signal when we arrived here.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Might it be appropriate to re energise this thread. I am sure there will be people like me returning to the UK over the next week ( 24/10 onwards). It would be helpful to know the experiences of others who have returned in that period whilst the jungle is being closed down.

Please don't post on the rights and wrongs of the French action or migrants, just first hand reports of actual experience would be appreciated by me and I am sure other travellers

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
We too travelled across Saturday.. absolutely no issues at all.. in fact the roads were pretty quiet from the A16 down to Abbeville area..

That said, with the demolition of the Jungle it may get a bit busier when we return next week end when we return the same way..

Good idea to energise this thread and will look out for updates in the coming few days. Thank you (y)

Just as an update.. we stayed at the Drum Inn, literally 5 miles from the EuroTunnel terminal.. was perfect.. Post code TN25 6DN for those interested..

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Reading the interviews, it seems there Is a hard core of migrants who still intend to sleep rough around the Calais area to get access to vehicles. So keep your eyes peeled.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Came back Wednesday morning 19th October. NO PROBLEMS at all, did not see one migrant!. STOP worrying about the tunnel and Calais.
We stayed overnight in the Citi de Europe on Tuesday night with another ten vans and had NO problems.

colyboy

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes the Canterbury Aire has now opened the car barrier so that Motorhomes can park in the overflow part.
There is room for at least another 40 vans, if not more..
Stayed there on our way to Croatia last month.
Mitch.
It looks like the Exit barrier has had it height barrier knocked off so you have to be very careful getting in there and possibly impossible for large motorhomes.

Joe

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We came through the Tunnel on Saturday evening with no trouble at all. In fact it was very quiet and we were put on the next train as soon as we arrived.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back