Has anybody climbed Ben Nevis?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dave K, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Dave K

Dave K Funster

Just thought I'd ask the question to find out what it was like at the very top, I had an afternoon spare today so I went up the mountain path to just over halfway and then took the path around to the north face, I really wish I'd had more time to get up to the top but it was still a very enjoyable 3 and a half hours. I'm not sure what my legs will think of it in the morning though, strangely enough I found it more difficult trying to pick a path to come down, certainly felt it on my legs.
    When we return at the weekend I'll put up some pics, unfortunately it wasn't a clear sky but still some great scenery, I was amazed at the drop in temperature when I got around to the north side as well.

2. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Been to the top a couple of times once in June when it was covered in snow and fog so thick could only see about twenty feet so no view. The other time was part of the three peaks challenge in August no snow view was great. At the bottom they filmed the fort scene from Braveheart we watched a bit while climbing up the first part, all levelled when they finished so just a dark area left.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

Walked up one October half term. It's a long way! We reached the top at about 2.30pm and quite suddenly the sky cleared and the view was breathtaking. Quite a slog down and the next morning after a good nights sleep I could hardly get out of bed!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Take the train…Woops, wrong mountain.

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. buttons

buttons Funster

I went on a team building week, we stayed in the Glen in a tiny tent with a stream running through it before squelching up to the top with full kit in drizzle and cloud. Not the best conditions and we had to carry one of the party for a couple of hours as he was a bit distressed. Not the best conditions but good to look back on. As for the top, it was covered in cloud, I remember sitting in the brick building putting chocolate in the unwell members mouth and moving his jaw for him as he was unable to chew.....:) It would be a nice walk on a nice day.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dave K

Dave K Funster

Sounds like that day out was memorable for the wrong reasons, why did one of the party become so distressed?

7. buttons

buttons Funster

We were carrying a lot of kit all part of this team building malarkey. We had been tested all week running swimming climbing sailing canoeing and living under crap conditions. He had enough and could not carry on. He wasn't well enough to leave, taking him down would have meant that some of the team would have failed the course so we decided to carry him up and give him time to recover at the top.

8. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

My son was supposed to do the Three Peaks Challenge last year but his group had to cry off for some reason. Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Scafell Pike in three days was the target and it's back on for this year. I find any hill a challenge these days especially in Norfolk. :(

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Dognewf

Dognewf Funster

Did it in my younger days. Well worth it but as you have found out its not a simple stroll. Many are caught out each year thinking its just a simple path walk. The changes in weather conditions can be sudden and severe and you need to be properly prepared.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

mate of mine did the three peaks ,at the time he was in the middle of a bad divorce
    packed his ruck sack the day before and left it ready came home from work grabbed the rucksack and jumped into the mini bus went to wales did snowdon, got to base camp opened the rucksack and found his wife had removed all his clothing stove etc and replaced it with newspaper and bricks

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. WillH

WillH Funster

Great walk in good weather but be prepared for absolutely any sort of weather regardless of conditions when you set off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Did the Three Peaks Challenge when in the Army and it was really hard and I can still feel the blisters to this day if I think hard........ These days walking into Cromer (about 8miles) is my limit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. golly

golly Funster

1984, my son and I walked up the tourist path opposite the Youth Hostel. We were lucky to have such a clear day.
    File11a.jpg jonathan ben nevis.jpg ben nevis climb 3 (2).jpg ben nevis climb 4 (2).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

My grandad used to do it on his birthday although he said after his 75th that was the last. He said there was an easy route for "tourists" and a hard route! Never done it myself! He also used to say how many people would set off inappropriately attired in sunny weather for it to change drastically and course all sorts of problems !

15. golly

golly Funster

I wish I was fit enough to do it in my late 60's never mind 75. As you can see from the photos the weather was fine and warm at the bottom but a considerable amount of snow at the top, in June, and people were walking up in sandles :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dognewf

Dognewf Funster

traditional Scottish hillwalking kit in the 60's and 70's was always considered to be a pair of sannies (plimsolls for the southerners) and a 10 pack of woodbine! As long as you had a bobbly hat that is.

17. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

He lived for years in the Cheviot hills and walked up them regularly so was fit!

18. kevan

kevan Funster Life Member

I have never met him:rolleyes:

19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Did it in 2011 didn't enjoy it, it is just a hard slog, went up what I think is the easy route from the information centre it is an old mule trail so steep rock steps most of the way, went in April had to cross a snow field to get to the top did manage to have one of the 69 clear days a year they get.
    Coming down realy hard on the knees & ankles could hardly walk for 3 days after. Not a walk I would want to do again, by contrast did mount Olympus in Greece last year got to the second highest peak (9550 ft) a much harder walk but would love to do it again.

P1040595.JPG

P1040613.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  20. Dave K

Dave K Funster

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    It wasn't the clearest of days but I took some photos along the way

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1