Has anybody climbed Ben Nevis? (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Just thought I'd ask the question to find out what it was like at the very top, I had an afternoon spare today so I went up the mountain path to just over halfway and then took the path around to the north face, I really wish I'd had more time to get up to the top but it was still a very enjoyable 3 and a half hours. I'm not sure what my legs will think of it in the morning though, strangely enough I found it more difficult trying to pick a path to come down, certainly felt it on my legs.
When we return at the weekend I'll put up some pics, unfortunately it wasn't a clear sky but still some great scenery, I was amazed at the drop in temperature when I got around to the north side as well.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Been to the top a couple of times once in June when it was covered in snow and fog so thick could only see about twenty feet so no view. The other time was part of the three peaks challenge in August no snow view was great. At the bottom they filmed the fort scene from Braveheart we watched a bit while climbing up the first part, all levelled when they finished so just a dark area left.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Walked up one October half term. It's a long way! We reached the top at about 2.30pm and quite suddenly the sky cleared and the view was breathtaking. Quite a slog down and the next morning after a good nights sleep I could hardly get out of bed!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Take the train…Woops, wrong mountain.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I went on a team building week, we stayed in the Glen in a tiny tent with a stream running through it before squelching up to the top with full kit in drizzle and cloud. Not the best conditions and we had to carry one of the party for a couple of hours as he was a bit distressed. Not the best conditions but good to look back on. As for the top, it was covered in cloud, I remember sitting in the brick building putting chocolate in the unwell members mouth and moving his jaw for him as he was unable to chew.....:) It would be a nice walk on a nice day.:cool:

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I went on a team building week, we stayed in the Glen in a tiny tent with a stream running through it before squelching up to the top with full kit in drizzle and cloud. Not the best conditions and we had to carry one of the party for a couple of hours as he was a bit distressed. Not the best conditions but good to look back on. As for the top, it was covered in cloud, I remember sitting in the brick building putting chocolate in the unwell members mouth and moving his jaw for him as he was unable to chew.....:) It would be a nice walk on a nice day.:cool:

Sounds like that day out was memorable for the wrong reasons, why did one of the party become so distressed?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sounds like that day out was memorable for the wrong reasons, why did one of the party become so distressed?
We were carrying a lot of kit all part of this team building malarkey. We had been tested all week running swimming climbing sailing canoeing and living under crap conditions. He had enough and could not carry on. He wasn't well enough to leave, taking him down would have meant that some of the team would have failed the course so we decided to carry him up and give him time to recover at the top.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My son was supposed to do the Three Peaks Challenge last year but his group had to cry off for some reason. Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Scafell Pike in three days was the target and it's back on for this year. I find any hill a challenge these days especially in Norfolk. :(

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Did it in my younger days. Well worth it but as you have found out its not a simple stroll. Many are caught out each year thinking its just a simple path walk. The changes in weather conditions can be sudden and severe and you need to be properly prepared.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
mate of mine did the three peaks ,at the time he was in the middle of a bad divorce
packed his ruck sack the day before and left it ready came home from work grabbed the rucksack and jumped into the mini bus went to wales did snowdon, got to base camp opened the rucksack and found his wife had removed all his clothing stove etc and replaced it with newspaper and bricks

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Great walk in good weather but be prepared for absolutely any sort of weather regardless of conditions when you set off.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Did the Three Peaks Challenge when in the Army and it was really hard and I can still feel the blisters to this day if I think hard........ These days walking into Cromer (about 8miles) is my limit.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
1984, my son and I walked up the tourist path opposite the Youth Hostel. We were lucky to have such a clear day.
File11a.jpg jonathan ben nevis.jpg ben nevis climb 3 (2).jpg ben nevis climb 4 (2).jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
My grandad used to do it on his birthday although he said after his 75th that was the last. He said there was an easy route for "tourists" and a hard route! Never done it myself! He also used to say how many people would set off inappropriately attired in sunny weather for it to change drastically and course all sorts of problems !

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
My grandad used to do it on his birthday although he said after his 75th that was the last. He said there was an easy route for "tourists" and a hard route! Never done it myself! He also used to say how many people would set off inappropriately attired in sunny weather for it to change drastically and course all sorts of problems !
I wish I was fit enough to do it in my late 60's never mind 75. As you can see from the photos the weather was fine and warm at the bottom but a considerable amount of snow at the top, in June, and people were walking up in sandles :eek:

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
traditional Scottish hillwalking kit in the 60's and 70's was always considered to be a pair of sannies (plimsolls for the southerners) and a 10 pack of woodbine! As long as you had a bobbly hat that is.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
He lived for years in the Cheviot hills and walked up them regularly so was fit!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Did it in 2011 didn't enjoy it, it is just a hard slog, went up what I think is the easy route from the information centre it is an old mule trail so steep rock steps most of the way, went in April had to cross a snow field to get to the top did manage to have one of the 69 clear days a year they get.
Coming down realy hard on the knees & ankles could hardly walk for 3 days after. Not a walk I would want to do again, by contrast did mount Olympus in Greece last year got to the second highest peak (9550 ft) a much harder walk but would love to do it again.

P1040595.JPG

P1040613.JPG

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Nearest I got was the Glen!. Sometime in the 70`s? (The day after Elvis Died). Wife nearly put her hand on a basking Adder!. I have flown over it though, does that count?.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That points to one of two things.....
He was dead
He was unconscious.

:eek:
He was conscious and still alive but totally knackered or just wanted someone to carry his kit for him on the way down.:)
The poor sod wasn't cut out for all this nonsense. Earlier in the week we had to rescue him when he didn't surface after the upside down canoe escape.:)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I've done it twice, once by the so called tourist route. It was a horrible day, we were in cloud from about 1000 feet up. Saw nothing, it was a cold, wet slog.
Second time was via the Carn Mor Dearg Arete, a more sporting ascent. Glorious day, blue sky, bright sun, cool breeze, and the views were incredible.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Done it a number of times in the winter and a few in the summer months well worth the effort but as most have said be prepared even in summer for very cold conditions up at the trig point
Enjoy

hillman221

Free Member
Apr 1, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Have been up several times, both on'tourist route' and over Carn Mor Dearg arête, which is a very serious option, especially in winter ( only advisable for serious experienced walkers.) Conditions on Ben Nevis, even on the tourist route, can degenerate substantially, so extreme care ( and the right clothing and supplies should be carried even on a nice day) is required especially on the top section summit where there are substantial drops off both side (Five finger gully etc which has claimed quite a few lives) In bad visibility if you are inexperienced please do not attempt unless you have excellent navigational skills and don' t rely on a GPS which might take you over one of the drops. We have come across some absolute idiots who have come up in flip flops and shorts (they were frozen!), people with dogs with no water ( no water after the lochan a third of the way up) and numerous other unprepared folk. On a good day worth the effort but be prepared, it is a long slog and worse coming down ( big Boulder fields). Jan and Douglas

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've done it a few times on different routes. The last time we were descending and spoke to an old local fell runner who was coming uphill. He ran it twice a day. We spoke to him on his second climb of the day. And we thought we were fit!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back