Hartal door problem (1 Viewer)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Looking for some help/advice about Hartal doors. We had some problems with our Hartal habitation door at Knutsford which we put down to the heat. The top locking pin of the door kept catching on the door frame and required us to lift/push up the door so that the pin cleared the frame

We are now in very wet Ireland and the door has got worse! The top and middle and bottom pins are hitting the frame and it is very difficult to close. The problem seems to be the hinges within the door itself and can anyone advise on a fix please?

Thanks in anticipation

Kath and Howie

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
think i understand now.

sounds like the hinges are seizing up and twisting/flexing on the door or frame misaligning the pins.

may need new hinges as the pins or hinge are plastic coated so regular lube (WD40 etc) wont really help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Madwife

Deleted User
Will post some pictures when it stops raining and I can get the camera out without fear of getting wet!

We now have a method of closing the door as we know that it has dropped and twisted.

Howie is trying to find out how to get the inside cover of the door off so that he can get at the hinge and see what needs sorted out. I don't think we will be doing much today as the month of Augusts rainfall is bucketing down on us.

Kath and Howie

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Are you gong to malvern? If so will happily show you the problem and give the fix. .I showed howie at Knutsford the potential problem. . It was starting to go a bit then. ... motorhome doors are renowned for giving problems

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Racking my brain John but I remember thinking at the time, hinge issue or delamination issue. I remember telling Howie about my door and how I had replaced it.

OP
OP
M

Madwife

Deleted User
Thanks Paul, I remember you telling Howie about the door. We will be in Ireland until end of August so will not be at Malvern.

Kath

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks Paul, I remember you telling Howie about the door. We will be in Ireland until end of August so will not be at Malvern.

Kath

Kath, I would take it to your dealer. If it's a delamination problem, I know to my cost they can be costly. New hinges less so, but get it checked out. :thumb:

OP
OP
M

Madwife

Deleted User
Update on the hab door:
After days of cur***g and swe***ng every time we went in and out the hab door Howie has now fixed the problem:Smile:

He discovered that the locking pins were loose and projecting more than they should and therefore catching!

He tightened them up and no more door catching problems::bigsmile:

I had asked him some weeks ago if this might be the problem but was told 'no' but of course it was the problem all along:Doh:

Rain has now abated and sun has returned to gods own county (South Kerry!). We are parked up overlooking the sea at Waterville and are moving on to Cliften in Connemara on Wednesday.

Kath ( and Howie)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Update on the hab door:
After days of cur***g and swe***ng every time we went in and out the hab door Howie has now fixed the problem:Smile:

He discovered that the locking pins were loose and projecting more than they should and therefore catching!

He tightened them up and no more door catching problems::bigsmile:

I had asked him some weeks ago if this might be the problem but was told 'no' but of course it was the problem all along:Doh:

Rain has now abated and sun has returned to gods own county (South Kerry!). We are parked up overlooking the sea at Waterville and are moving on to Cliften in Connemara on Wednesday.

Kath ( and Howie)

I am getting envious.... not of your door problem but your current locations. absolutely love southern Ireland. beautiful scenery wonderful friendly locals and the pace of life is so laid back. its like going back in time 40 years or more:Cool:

damn it, Im off now to look up ferry prices:ROFLMAO:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Beautiful area Connemara. We found a good site for outdoor activities in the area, including hill walking and more active sports like surfing or coasteering. Have a look at www.realadventures.ie

Enjoy Connemara

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I know its a bit late, but I had a similar problem on my Auto sleeper, top pin catching and central locking not working. On investigation the bolts holding the hinge to the body had worked loose, retightened bolts, seems to be sorted, fingers crossed

don

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
hingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Hartal door

I had troubled with our hartal door from new, but traced it to expansion of the
M/ H including the door in very hot weather,a few adjustments in the hot weather and its been fine this last few years.
Hope yours will now be o/k.

Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back