Hardwire kit problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Cyclists, May 6, 2016.

1. Cyclists

Cyclists Funster

Hi,

Auto electrics not really my thing but I have hardwired my in car cam via the fuse box with one of those kits that plugs into the fuse box. I chose to take it off of the fog light as I assume that was a non-permanently on one but the camera is still permanently on.

I removed the original fuse and replaced it with the hardwired plug then put the original fuse in the space provided on the hardwire plug. I earthed it to a bolt in the fuse box (slackened the bold off slide the spade in a re tightened).

I did try several other fuses but same thing or it didn't work at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

John

2. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

Have you put the fuse replacement thing in the right way round

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

A cheap multi-meter is invaluable for checking you have sparks but my guess is your earth isn't actually connected to the metal bodywork.

4. Cyclists

Cyclists Funster

So if its not earthed it will still supply the unit power? I didnt know it had to go round particular way ..will try that also. Cheers guys.

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Yes, it needs two wires, the positive feed and a negative feed.

I'm not an expert on the way you have connected the feed from the fuse but I suspect it is possible to do it so your feed is not fused. You need to ensure that you have picked up from the downstream terminal, so to speak, but safer still to fit an inline fuse, 1A should suffice. Halfords sell them.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  6. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

It would be best to start with a 12v tester ( the sort with a bulb in the handle of a pin point probe and a lead with a spring clip on the end). Connect the spring clip to what you think is the earth point and the sharp end to a positive supply. If the lamp lights you have found your good earth point. Then with the clip still on the earth point, probe the fuses or any other supply till you find one that only operates with the ignition on. Connect the positive feed to the camera from this but use an inline fuse.
    This is only suitable to do for a low current draw device like your dash cam. High power items would need connecting to the primary supply circuits as they could damage the small wiring in the secondary circuits which is what you are connecting to.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cyclists

Cyclists Funster

Could you hard wire a sat nav in this way?

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cyclists

Cyclists Funster

I have one of those tom tom sat nav connectors in the middle of the dash. I would like to remove that and fit my snooper mount in its place. Im guessing theres some where under there i can pick up from to power my sat nav also. Any idea how i remove the tom tom socket in the centre of the dash ...

Attached Files: