jhbgaiem

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Galapagar near Madrid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We are in the process of buying a 120w plus solar panel with regulator and extra battery etc.
We were going for a rigid one until we heard about the plastic glue on types. These would certainly cause less drag but our campervan garage says that they heat up and as they are stuck to the roof, all the heat comes through to the inside. We live in Spain so heat is a problem. He also says that they are more fragile and easily damaged by low branches.
I am a cynical man who wonders if he prefers to sell me his make!
The other thing is that rigid panel have been around for 30+ years and the flexible ones for only 4 or 5. So is is difficult to know how long they will last in reality.
Can any of you give me your thoughts and ideas? :RollEyes:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi whilst I was at Southampton boat show last year I saw that there were solar panels on sale that actually stuck on to flat decks and you could even walk over them1

Regards Pat

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
From what I saw at the NEC the flexible stick-on ones produce less power per square metre so are not so good if space is limited.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the roll up type are......Amorphous panels.

One advantage of the very thin layers used is that the panels can be made flexible. Types are available that can be curved to the bend in a roof for example, or even attached to a flexible backing sheet so that they can be rolled up and put away when they are not needed! The disadvantage of amorphous panels is that they are not as efficient per unit area as monocrystalline panels - typically you will need nearly double the area for the same power output.

ideally the panel should have a gap under it to allow cooling air to circulate so the stick on ones may get too hot.

stick to the rigid panels...:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back