Happy new year to all from a newcomer (1 Viewer)

Linnie

Free Member
Jan 8, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach built hi top
Exp
Since 2010
Hi we are not new to motohoming but are planning to travel to France for our 40th anniversary this summer and this will be our first trip abroad and have no idea how to plan this any tips please would be much appreciated. Thanks

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Hi Linnie

Start with what region you want to visit, do you like the coast or inland? Have you time restraints? Do you like rivers & gorges? Then build a plan from there...then change it when you get there:)
Get the ACSI book and possibly the Aires book.
Happy planning

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Linnie, and welcome. We are relative newcomers to motorhoming, had a Bessacarr for 9 months before taking the plunge and buying a brand new Adria Matrix Axess 590 in April 2014 and setting off for France 6 weeks later. It was my 60th birthday year, so I wanted to make the trip special too. We had 3 weeks, as I am still working and a list of places it would be nice to visit. We covered 2500 miles that trip, visiting the Burgundy region then heading south towards the Med via the Aveyron gorges. Weather kept changing so we kept heading south and ended up in northern Spain at the bay of Roses. From there we headed across to Provence, too early in June for the best lavender. We then headed north via Millau to the Loire.
I would say that although it was a great trip we did a lot of travelling in that time, partly because the weather kept changing and partly because we had not got the bike rack fitted at that time to explore an area more, and it was quite tiring at times.
We now head for fewer areas, spend less time on the road and more relaxing on sites and exploring on bikes and foot.
Aires can be a bit variable, we have found some lovely ones on our travels, plenty of water hose connectors will be needed to cover all eventualities.
Get the Aires book and if you are travelling outside July and August the ACSI book offers discounts on sites and pays for itself after a few nights. We use aires if only staying one night en route somewhere, or want to explore a small village, sites if we want to relax more, use the bbq, washing machines, get around on the bikes etc.
Best advice is to have a loose plan, but keep it flexible, weather and fellow travellers can have an influence on your next destination.
Congratulations and enjoy your 40th anniversary, we notched up 40 years last year.

Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I think the replies you have had so far say it all. The best plan is to have no plan....well almost. Don't tie yourself to anything too specific and be prepared to adjust to what suits as you go along. We don't book a return ferry, for example. This means we don't worry about how far we can go before heading back. Then when we feel ready we can head northwards spending a day or two at Gravelines and can book our ferry from there. It means not only are you not tied to getting back in time for the ferry but you don't feel that the holiday is over and you are just 'heading home'. It's much more relaxing.

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back