Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
An update on the handbrake situation:

Been advised that the mechanic who adjusted the shoes had done them too close to the drums and they are 'cooked', actuators are in need of replacement as are the cables because they are stretched. Not looking forward to picking up the bill. :(

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Don't be too scared - the shoes and cables are relatively cheap, and they shouldn't have spent masses of time on it unless everything was seized solid - it's a fairly simple setup. I presume this is a different garage to the one who adjusted the shoes to be too close!

The inability of garages to correctly adjust Ducato handbrakes amazes me. It's really not hard - just follow the Bl@*&&y instructions from Fiat! Looking at your X250 instructions, they are even more simple than for my X244 model.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On my car the pivoting brake actuators/auto adjusters seize up at an alarming rate.
They look fine on visual inspection but need removing and clamping in a vice to free properly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s about angles and Alignment, IF when the brakes are (fully) applied the "Bell Crank" is at 90deg or slightly less you have maximum effort, anything over 90deg and the effort is diminished.

The fiat system, is basically only just capable of passing the MOT when set up perfectly!!.

From Memory, First make sure the drum is clean, the surfaces DeGlazed, and the Shoes are wound up until the wheel will not move then back of until it rotates without binding, Next with the handbrake on about the (fourth?) notch, take up the slack in the individual wheel cables until the "Crank" looks at slightly less than 90deg to the cable run, and the wheels do not rotate, now take the slack in the main cable to the handbrake and take out all the adjustment, Release the handbrake and check the wheels do not bind. At this point you have probably got the most breaking effort possible with this set up?.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I took my 2007 Relay for MOT in Nov.The handbrake hardly held the van but it passed as tester said "the never work properly as they are too small diametetr-bad design!"

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Hi, from experience of my Hymer & 40 odd years in the motor trade,this is what I've found & done.
To start you must loosen & back off adjustment on ALL cables,the front has a lever arm & will come back to a stop, forget about them then till later.
Next, check & clean the shoes, if ok then adjust through the holes in the disc until it stops the disc turning. Then back off the adjuster so that the disc just turns freely. Once you're happy that both sides are equally set up move to the rear cable, pull the cable forward to take up any slack, you don't need to do more than that or you will start pulling the brakes on. Then set the adjuster lock nuts. You can then move to the front cable & do the same thing, pulling the slack out & setting the lock nuts.You should then find you have a useable hand brake. Mine had failed it's test on only this point. After the above, all ok for the past 4 years tests.
Barrie.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back