Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
I notice on the home page an ad for handbrake extender. Bit pricey at £70 and wondered if anyone had a surplus one for a '03 Fiat Ducatto for sale. Tried E Bay but no joy:thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I think they are fairly new so don't think you will get one from ebay. They are too pricey for me at £70

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Outdoor bits.com sell a cheaper one.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Well it seems there are now two makers of the hand brake extension, lets hope that the competition brings down the price to a more realistic price. I know you pay for what you get ;but is it really good value?

Regards

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well it seems there are now two makers of the hand brake extension, lets hope that the competition brings down the price to a more realistic price. I know you pay for what you get ;but is it really good value?

Regards

Want an honest opinion YES buy Jims, more versatile and better made. The little profit he makes also SUPPORTS Fun, it doesnt go in his pocket

Last edited:
OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
handbrake extention

Thanks for your replies. Having read the blurb about the Kobran extention I feel it is not what I need as it prevents the drivers seat from being rotated. Outdoorbits sell the Kobran at the same price of £50 as on the ad on the home page. Just have to do without for the time being.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008

Regards

Good Value? I'd have to say YES!

sirhandel

Free Member
Nov 28, 2008
Chippenham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I bought the Kobran from Outdoor Bits last year (£50) and it does the job - i.e. my wife can now reach the handbrake but it does seem expensive for what it is - maybe I'm just mean. It would prevent swivelling the captain's seat but mine doesn't swivel so no problem.

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Geoff,
Tried to locate the ad on the home page, but could not locate it :Blush:

Guess i should buy another pair of glasses :ROFLMAO:

I would like to see it, so i can have a look whether its also sold somewhere here in the Netherlands

Thanks

Paul

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi Geoff,
Tried to locate the ad on the home page, but could not locate it :Blush:

Guess i should buy another pair of glasses :ROFLMAO:

I would like to see it, so i can have a look whether its also sold somewhere here in the Netherlands

Thanks

Paul

Link Removed

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
That was a good debate re extention. The add is on the bottom right of the page!

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
That was a good debate re extention. The add is on the bottom right of the page!

Its good that we can share our opinions, Like you i feel that £70 is a lot to pay this item and IMHO don't think its value for money,;but others may differ and think it is and thats up to them.

Be a sad old world if we all agreed

Regards

plasma

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hand Brake Extender For Sale

Just noticed your post concerning a hand brake extender, I have a brand new one of the type recommended by Jim for sale. It cost £70 and I am looking for £45 for it. I fitted it onto my vehicle, and I thought it was good, but my wife didn't like it, so I took it off, because she does half of the driving.

Plasma

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just noticed your post concerning a hand brake extender, I have a brand new one of the type recommended by Jim for sale. It cost £70 and I am looking for £45 for it. I fitted it onto my vehicle, and I thought it was good, but my wife didn't like it, so I took it off, because she does half of the driving.

Plasma

Hi Plasma

your ad may get missed here, put it in the MH Fun classifieds.. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i tied two house bricks to my right wrist for a month.

i can reach the normal handbrake lever now.......i can also pick items off the floor without bending.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

think im now a "knuckle dragger":winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
New type handbrake extender

Thanks for your replies. Having read the blurb about the Kobran extention I feel it is not what I need as it prevents the drivers seat from being rotated. Outdoorbits sell the Kobran at the same price of £50 as on the ad on the home page. Just have to do without for the time being.

Geoff1947
I purchased the more expensive handbrake extender £70 ish...
It seems well made.......
Am I happy with it?????…….
Not sure,……….. my motorhome is the Fiat 2008 model so it is the new style, the hand brake extender is just slightly more expensive to buy for this model......
I find it quite difficult to release, I have hold the original handbrake and push backwards with my wrist/hand to release the lever as the button is now covered with the new extender...
Just using the hand brake extender is quite difficult to release......also twice I have caught the handbrake getting out of the cab to fill with diesel and released the handbrake only to find the motorhome going backwards and me trying to pull the handbrake back on with the door only partially open because of the petrol pump....NOT GOOD....
Also mine the captain’s chair still swivels when the handbrake is in the on Position! So that is no problem.
I am not saying it worse or better than the cheaper handbrake extender, as I have never tied the other one around £45
I am not saying everybody will have the same difficulties as me, as we are not all built the same and will have the seat in the same position,
I am not saying it is no good.....it just does not work for me....the original handbrake on the Fiat was difficult to release fully and not easy to release at the traffic lights on a hill doing a handbrake start!.....but I also finding this very difficult to release in the same scenario....all I am saying try another motorhome that has one fitted for the same model as yours with seat in the correct position as you would have yours before you purchase one ....as they are not cheap.
This is just my opinion.
From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France……Mel

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Let me try and explain.
The lever works on a centre pin to release the button/ handbrake you pull the lever backwards.....(ok)
BUT at the same time you have to go forwards with handbrake to release the handbrake holding the same lever backwards under a little pressure (it is not impossible it is not that easy)
it is like rubbing your stomach and tapping your head it is not impossible but not easy
Look at the picture on the home page,. And try and study what happens and what I am saying.

On a hill in traffic trying to release the handbrake and move forward stop, start,
In traffic in a city centre in another country.
At traffic lights, when you need concentration things should come natural.

Then I say is this better that the original Fiat ......not sure for me both have problems.

From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France (telling it how it is)....Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hand brake extender

Hi
if you look at the cheaper handbrake extension it looks like it would work better...as you pull on the lever you are automatically going forward and downward to release the handbrake.....just that it looks as if it is made of a cheaper material and at the end of the day is it much longer than the original handbrake in the down position and will it last!!!!!!
From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France...Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back