Handbrake extender

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by geoff1947, Jan 21, 2009.

1. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

I notice on the home page an ad for handbrake extender. Bit pricey at £70 and wondered if anyone had a surplus one for a '03 Fiat Ducatto for sale. Tried E Bay but no joy:thumb:

2. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

I think they are fairly new so don't think you will get one from ebay. They are too pricey for me at £70

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Outdoor bits.com sell a cheaper one.:Smile:

4. hawkeye6007

hawkeye6007 Read Only Funster

The cheaper one looks very flimsy. I bought mine from this site. It's a case of you get what you pay for!

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Quite corect, you want less, you pay less, buy Jims and you get the best:thumb:

Peter

6. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Well it seems there are now two makers of the hand brake extension, lets hope that the competition brings down the price to a more realistic price. I know you pay for what you get ;but is it really good value?

Regards

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Want an honest opinion YES buy Jims, more versatile and better made. The little profit he makes also SUPPORTS Fun, it doesnt go in his pocket

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  8. geoff1947

handbrake extention

Thanks for your replies. Having read the blurb about the Kobran extention I feel it is not what I need as it prevents the drivers seat from being rotated. **********s sell the Kobran at the same price of £50 as on the ad on the home page. Just have to do without for the time being.

9. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Good Value? I'd have to say YES!

10. sirhandel

sirhandel Read Only Funster

I bought the Kobran from Outdoor Bits last year (£50) and it does the job - i.e. my wife can now reach the handbrake but it does seem expensive for what it is - maybe I'm just mean. It would prevent swivelling the captain's seat but mine doesn't swivel so no problem.

11. Onderweg

Onderweg Funster

Hi Geoff,
    Tried to locate the ad on the home page, but could not locate it :Blush:

Guess i should buy another pair of glasses :Rofl1:

I would like to see it, so i can have a look whether its also sold somewhere here in the Netherlands

Thanks

Paul

12. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Motorhome Handbrake Extender

13. geoff1947

That was a good debate re extention. The add is on the bottom right of the page!

14. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Its good that we can share our opinions, Like you i feel that £70 is a lot to pay this item and IMHO don't think its value for money,;but others may differ and think it is and thats up to them.

Be a sad old world if we all agreed

Regards

15. plasma

plasma Read Only Funster

Hand Brake Extender For Sale

Just noticed your post concerning a hand brake extender, I have a brand new one of the type recommended by Jim for sale. It cost £70 and I am looking for £45 for it. I fitted it onto my vehicle, and I thought it was good, but my wife didn't like it, so I took it off, because she does half of the driving.

Plasma

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Plasma

your ad may get missed here, put it in the MH Fun classifieds.. :thumb:

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i tied two house bricks to my right wrist for a month.

i can reach the normal handbrake lever now.......i can also pick items off the floor without bending.....:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

think im now a "knuckle dragger":Wink:

18. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

New type handbrake extender

Geoff1947
    I purchased the more expensive handbrake extender £70 ish...
    It seems well made.......
    Am I happy with it?????…….
    Not sure,……….. my motorhome is the Fiat 2008 model so it is the new style, the hand brake extender is just slightly more expensive to buy for this model......
    I find it quite difficult to release, I have hold the original handbrake and push backwards with my wrist/hand to release the lever as the button is now covered with the new extender...
    Just using the hand brake extender is quite difficult to release......also twice I have caught the handbrake getting out of the cab to fill with diesel and released the handbrake only to find the motorhome going backwards and me trying to pull the handbrake back on with the door only partially open because of the petrol pump....NOT GOOD....
    Also mine the captain’s chair still swivels when the handbrake is in the on Position! So that is no problem.
    I am not saying it worse or better than the cheaper handbrake extender, as I have never tied the other one around £45
    I am not saying everybody will have the same difficulties as me, as we are not all built the same and will have the seat in the same position,
    I am not saying it is no good.....it just does not work for me....the original handbrake on the Fiat was difficult to release fully and not easy to release at the traffic lights on a hill doing a handbrake start!.....but I also finding this very difficult to release in the same scenario....all I am saying try another motorhome that has one fitted for the same model as yours with seat in the correct position as you would have yours before you purchase one ....as they are not cheap.
    This is just my opinion.
    From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France……Mel

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  19. Heyupluv

Let me try and explain.
    The lever works on a centre pin to release the button/ handbrake you pull the lever backwards.....(ok)
    BUT at the same time you have to go forwards with handbrake to release the handbrake holding the same lever backwards under a little pressure (it is not impossible it is not that easy)
    it is like rubbing your stomach and tapping your head it is not impossible but not easy
    Look at the picture on the home page,. And try and study what happens and what I am saying.

On a hill in traffic trying to release the handbrake and move forward stop, start,
    In traffic in a city centre in another country.
    At traffic lights, when you need concentration things should come natural.

Then I say is this better that the original Fiat ......not sure for me both have problems.

From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France (telling it how it is)....Mel

20. Heyupluv

Hand brake extender

Hi
    if you look at the cheaper handbrake extension it looks like it would work better...as you pull on the lever you are automatically going forward and downward to release the handbrake.....just that it looks as if it is made of a cheaper material and at the end of the day is it much longer than the original handbrake in the down position and will it last!!!!!!
    From a pleasant peasant born Yorkshireman now living in France...Mel