Hand brake trouble in autotrail.

Discussion in 'Solo travellers' started by mutley 150, Dec 18, 2015.

1. mutley 150

mutley 150 Funster

Does anyone happen to know of a good, trustworthy mechanic in quarteira. Needed to move m/h today......trying to escape those trees and anything creepy crawley related. yuk!!!!! Couldn't release the handbrake. Ended up in tears but that didn't help much. Pulled myself together and came for a beer and to watch the sunset. It has never actually worked effectively apparently. I know women on their own and mechanic usually means £££££££££ Any help would be really appreciated. Lovely sunset and beer though!!!!

2. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

3. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Do you mean the handle won't go down ? If the handle goes down but the brakes won't release, try going backwards a couple of feet and see if that frees it off. Other than that, it's time to get underneath and hit the caliper with something big and heavy.

4. mutley 150

mutley 150 Funster

I had to pull it up really hard to get it to hold the van! It still didn't but have it in gear so hopefully not going anywhere! I think maybe I'm just not strong enough to release it!!dont think it would do it any good for me to go underneath it with any sort of hammer ! I will try camper tec! Thank you!

5. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Try and find someone with a strong arm (male or female:xgrin:) it may just need a bit more umph to release the ratchet. I have put the handbrake on too hard for my wife to release many times.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eve

Eve Read Only Funster

Are the M /H around you ???
    Just ask one of them to help you,??? Motorhome people help each other,specially if you are wild camping,stop being shy!!! Everyone needs a little help sometime!!!
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Mutely, I feel as though I have caused this by mentioning the catapillers. Please don't worry about them, if you cannot see nests in the trees then they are not there. The nest range from tennis ball to rugby ball size so are very easy to spot.

It could be that your campsite has taken steps to get rid of them, or they were never there in the first place. I noticed on a bike ride through a country park in Spain the other day, that some pine trees had what look like bags with some kind of fluid in the bottom and a picture of the catapillers on it. I am guessing it was some sort of trap.

We saw more in Southeren France than we have seen in Spain so far, although back in March we saw loads on the road up to Sierra Nevada. Once we were in Portugal we hardly saw any, even up in the hills away from the coast.

I am sorry if I have made you feel uneasy but please remember, if you cannot see the nests they are not there.

8. mutley 150

mutley 150 Funster

I am very grateful for the advice! Please don't feel bad! I need to stop being so neurotic where spiders etc are concerned!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lofty1

Lofty1 Funster

If the handbrake is on to hard start engine apply the foot brake to max and hold it down while releasing the hand brake.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mutley 150

mutley 150 Funster

I have managed to release it and am sorting a visit to camper tec to get it repaired/replaced. Brute force!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

The Hardest part by far for any mechanic is in interpreting what might be wrong from the customers description of what is happening Not only Women by the way
    This morning we are currently investigated a noisy exhaust that has been getting louder,
    We will after investigating replace the o/s/rear wheel bearing.
    That will silence the noisy "exhaust"
    G

• Like Like x 2