hand brAke on 5er? (1 Viewer)

Sapulpa

Free Member
Jan 27, 2010
Funster No
Can anyone, that knows for sure, please let me know what the hand brake requirement is on a 5th wheeler. Have had 3 or 4 different versions. Help, please. Cheers

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have one on our fiver and one axle needs to have a brake which is separate to the electric system and can be used as a parking brake.

You can get back plates with a fitting to add a cable, give Paul from Cross Country UK a ring he will probably help you. 01638 515700

Nigel and Pamala

Deleted User
Contentious issue, rules change if GVW of trailer is over 3500k. I have tried to attach factsheet from DfT which may help. Calder Leisure supplied me with a device that locks the wheels externally and can be mechanically locked in place.If attachment does not work the link to Dft website iswww.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/factsheetamericantrailer.pdf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think we may have been here before .if its an expanding wedge /chock it does not cover as a handbrake for mot purpose or construction and use .i spoke to our local vosa traffic examiner .i can assure you its not correct. they are only for when you leave the trailer un attached .some countries ie spain have a law that all vehicles over 3.500kg must carry and use chocks /wedges if parked on an incline .thats really what they are designed for. also remember all living vans over 3,500 kg are to be mot,d. he tells me vosa are going to become much more alert to 5ers .i think we have had an easy time in the past but its going to tighten up. if in doubt speak to your vosa man .
cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Contentious issue, rules change if GVW of trailer is over 3500k. I have tried to attach factsheet from DfT which may help. Calder Leisure supplied me with a device that locks the wheels externally and can be mechanically locked in place.If attachment does not work the link to Dft website iswww.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/factsheetamericantrailer.pdf

probably has to be a failsafe system....

a mechanical handbrake cable can snap in operation, so no brake.

i believe HGV trailers use air pressure (or vacuum ?) to RELEASE the brakes so when disconnected or accidently detached from the tractor unit (or the handbrake is applied) it will automaticaly apply the handbrake....a completely failsafe system:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
john thats not quite true most trailers have a cable handbrake .also the air doesnt always take the brakes off on ,many can be driven with no air. mine as a system where the air is stored in a tank on the trailer when i apply foot brake air then goes to a relay actuator that dumps air to the brake actuators and applies the cable operated brakes . i did have a bar system but it kept falling apart when used off road.
now trucks on air do have the systen you describe. you must wait for the air to build up before you can drive off .
you only need a handbrake on one axle .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
john thats not quite true most trailers have a cable handbrake .also the air doesnt always take the brakes off on ,many can be driven with no air. mine as a system where the air is stored in a tank on the trailer when i apply foot brake air then goes to a relay actuator that dumps air to the brake actuators and applies the cable operated brakes . i did have a bar system but it kept falling apart when used off road.
now trucks on air do have the systen you describe. you must wait for the air to build up before you can drive off .
you only need a handbrake on one axle .

i was refering to over 3500kg trailers... ie: 40ft HGV jobbies.
do they have a cable handbrake ?

how is your trailer mounted air tank charged.....from the truck ?.
so not really any different to an HGV except that is on the tractor unit and fed to the brake actuators by the suzie hoses.

some may be able to move without air but they cant be stopped without it unless its got electric retarder brakes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my interpretation on this is...... any trailer up to 3500kg must have operational brakes...including those under 750kg if brakes are fitted.

they must have a mechanically operated handbrake capable of holding the trailer on an 18deg hill.
(i think its 18deg)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
john i have a gast electric compressor on the truck and one air tank .into the front and back brake lines (hydraulics)i have a hydraulic to air actuator .i press the pedal air goes to the trailer .using the yellow air line.the red air line feeds the other tank on the trailer constantly . but does not operate the brakes till the air from the yellow line hits the air actuator on the trailer ,this one acts like a big relay switch .red supplies the air in bulk .yellow acts as a relay switch .
yes cable on big stuff as well.
drawbar trailers only air and have a shunt valve for when not connected to a truck on road.
its been said that an expanding chock can work as a handbrake . i have since had a good chat with vosa and was told it is not to be used as the hand brake as they are chocks .
c+u say1in6.26 (ie16 percent)
i also have a conection to the handbrake by cable that puts the brakes on as a secondary braking system .hope its clear .will show you next time we meet .
i have a switch for the compressor in the cab now as i have been known to forget to turn it on when pulling the trailer.cant feel any differance either way. lights and gauge as well.
cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back