Halogen To LEDS

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Bart, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bart

Bart Funster

atm when i turn on my lights ( about 12 of them ) according to the control panel they are drawing 10 amps , so its time they went and i replaced them with LED's
    Most of the current ones are cone shaped 10W Halogens pictured below
    20160707_091130_resized.jpg 20160707_091147_resized.jpg
    From reading different LED threads here i see the best best to get them from is http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/
    so i have been looking there and think i have found the right replacement bulb type , but as this is my 1st time buying leds im not sure how much difference there is in light between the two bulb types and also then if i should go for warm white or cool white , to begin with i think ill just order 2 bulbs 1 X warm white and 1 X cool white.
    If im happy with the level of light currently in the MH should i replace my existing 10w halogen for
    http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/10led-mr16.html
    as it suggests this is the replacement for a 10W bulb BUT if i think that the level of light currently in the MH is NOT enough then should i get http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/15led-mr16.html
    Does that sound about right ?
    Also i take it these will work fine in my MH without having to change anything else.

P.S if 12 of the 10W bulbs were using about 10 Amps as per the control panel , how many amps will 12 if the leds use if each one says it uses 1.6W would that be like 2 amps ?

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

you have pretty much covered the question and answer in your OP (y)

brightness is personal choice

we have warm in lounge and bedroom then cool in kitchen and bathroom

cant do sums on AMPs but it is pretty much basic maths so you are more or less right

get buying :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Think we ended up with MR11 warm light, SWMBO persuaded me not to go with the brightest option, glad she did now too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

another tip I had to find out, some of the pins can be quite long, snip off the ends to get a good fit if needed (y)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Bart

Bart Funster

6. WillH

WillH Funster

Another step you can take is to replace the fluorescent lights with LED strips, much nicer and so much less power consumption. I changed all of ours using a 5m roll of LED's off Ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. XRN

XRN Funster

Delivery from ATEN is only free above £25 so factor that in. We used the warm white in the living areas which gave the same or slightly more light and the cool white in the bathroom which are way brighter than the original 10W halogens and are a very white light rather than a yellow light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Dont be put off buying cheaper LEDs off ebay as the price difference is significant for pretty much the same item. I have fitted the ebay ones to several vans over the years and all bar 2 are still working perfectly. if they are going to fail they normally do within a few weeks
    even the really expensive ones from the likes of Atten do on occasion fail even though they are rated for thousands of hours. these LEDs are all made in Asia and of similar quality
    the only difference is some, not all expensive lamp replacement LEds include a voltage stabiliser circuit that means they will work between 10v and 30v. however the "12v" circuit in the motorhome will actually never usually go above 13.8v when the battery is charging. so well within tolerance of the cheaper, non stabilised LEDS

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. The Lobster

The Lobster Funster

My experience with LED replacement wasn't all positive - see my thread here for a discussion of the ridiculous quantities of RF interference that [some] LED bulbs can cause - in my case they stopped the TV working. I did get some test bulbs from Aten that were OK - but (as I discuss there) some were rather large and I had problems getting the lamp surround to fit over them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Bart

Bart Funster

What is that about the cheaper lights not working if the wrong polarity , does that mean you just have to take them out and turn them around the other way ? and if so and they are in the wrong polarity will they damage anything in the MH ?
    Also will the cheaper ones be ok in a system with an inverter and solar panels ?

11. Bart

Bart Funster

Just read that and defo gonna get the bulbs from ATEN , cba with all that interference hassle for the sake of probably £20.

12. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

I changes 26 bulbs to LEDs last year for £85. Purchased from memory was ATEN.

When i say i changed them i mean the wife and @chippy63 did them while i had a beer :D

No issues at all

Rob

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bart

Bart Funster

@ROB1CHELSEA1 yes i know what you mean i most of mine were the same bulbs , i have now discovered 6 different types of bulbs in the MH , 2 types have already been changed to leds.
    Atm i need 13 bulbs , 4 different types. lol
    Also does anyone else know about my awning light , atm it has 1 bulb in it. the same as used for a car indicator , i think it says 12V P21W , would i be better changing it for a led board :

http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/21led-b15-awning.html

or one of these :

http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/24led-b15.html

14. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

I think you have it covered
    Warm everywhere at 3w max
    cool over kitchen work area and bathroom suited us best

15. Bart

Bart Funster

Still to address what light from the above two to get for the awning.

16. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

Which ever tucks in best to your particular fitting
    I used the square pad, clipped the wires and hard wired mine in Use clear silicon to keep it in the correct position

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Bart

Bart Funster

I went ahead and ordered the 21 LED square one for the awning light.
    http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/21led-wired.html
    along with a few other bulbs to see the difference between the warm and cool :)

18. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

If the led wont work plugged in one way just take it out reverse the plug and stick it in it should work with no problems. No it should not damage anything. I have no problems with my LEDs even with 200 watts of solar, and living in the van for 6 months. All mine are from Ebay and apart from some MR11 size lamps having MR16 contacts they work well, though they can be optimistic on output

• Like Like x 1
  19. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Ditto Aten
    Ditto where warm, where bright.
    (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Bart

Bart Funster

ok a few LEDS arrived in the post this morning and thanks all for the input , warm white everywhere except bathroom , above cooker & awning light ( cool white for them area's )
    anyway i need some help , as better safe than sorry and dont want to blow a fuse then spend ages trying to find the right fuse :) , but my replacement led strip to replace the Tube light is different.
    the led strip has two wires, where as the wires going to my old tube had two wires at each end ( so 4 wires ) , so what way do i wire the new LED strip for here ?