Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Never been a believer in it. I followed the Money Saving Expert blokes suggestion and put what the premium would be every month into a bank account. Always had 2/3 dogs at anyone time and never cost me that much in treatment.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi Trish-n-Tez

We used M&S Pet Insurance for the last 7 years. Only had to claim in the last 6 months and then when we did claim there was never any hassle, questions etc.

With M&S there is no age limit - however once the animal reaches 9 years old you pay the first £50 excess and then 20% of the remaining balance. I must admit when Ollie (cat) reached 9 years old the monthly premium went up from £12.99 a month to £17.99 a month. I also put the hike down to the fact insurances in general (no matter what it was for) took an increase anyway.

Back in April Ollie was shot with an air rifle and he had to have surgery to remove the pellet. Obviously xrays were taken before the op and blood tests were taken after the op. This all adds up and we had a bill of £475 thrust upon us. We paid the first £50 and then 20% of the remaining balance.

Then in June Ollie was diagnosed with congestive heart failure - the diagnosis came only after extensive xrays (yet again), bloods, all sorts of lab tests etc. Another £700 initially followed by follow ups, and then monthly medication. Had Ollie still been with us today we would have been paying only £9.00 per month as a contribution towards his tablets, M&S would have been paying £40.00 a month.

Yes I agree that vets know how to charge but not once did I think it was a waste because I knew I had a good vet Vets4Pets) and I had the insurance to help.

I would not consider taking on any pet without insurance full stop and I would have the insurance in place before I bought the animal home.

The bigest downside to this post is that if you try to get your pet insured with someone else now, the insurer will not insure pre-existing medical problems so in this case I think you're in a no win situation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
They take your money for years then as usual all the PROMISES are broken:Angry:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Susie has congestive heart failure ,dry eye and is on duretics and is age 14 we have been told she has only around 6 months to live so we were told 2months ago so she won't be around next year unfortunately but i really feel for all those pet owners who are going to left high and dry with the withdrawal of the Halifax petinsurance ,

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Have a look at your very first pet insurance and see if anywhere in the small print if there was anything about them being able to withdraw the product at any time.

I personally would suggest you may have a genuine claim against Halifax for miss selling of the insurance. At the time you took it out, like most pet owners you would have asked them if they would cover your dog until it passes away to which they always reply yes but we wont cover pre existing conditions.

Try taking them to the insurance ombudsman. Nothing tried nothing gained. At worst you will be no better off than you are now

Good Luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back