Halifax nearly scupper motorhome no 2 ! (1 Viewer)

kaspian

Free Member
Aug 16, 2009
bonnie Scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 months and counting!
After our recent experiences with "Discover-ing" damp in our 'just bought' 17 month old motorhome we were naturally wary to say the least about buying another but after much thought we spotted a pre registered 'home for sale in Reading.It had the same layout etc and looked just what we wanted. Basic but honest -the Avantgarde 130. Seemed a good price and could not find another available before April 2010!

Problem is it was situated 425 miles from home so after many calls to Webbs Motorhomes to confirm condition we set off last weekend on a 10 hr bottom - numbing overnight coach trip to Reading to collect it. ( make note to self : renew passport to have future id required for INTERNAL GB air travel ! ) Salesman picked us up from the coach stop and took us to their premises where after a reviving cup of coffee we set about the introduction to our new toy. ::bigsmile:

After a few faults were spotted and quickly repaired it was time to part with the money and I inserted our Halifax bank card into the machine and was met with a transaction declined reply. Not to worry replied the salesman as this happens when transaction requires confirmation by phone so we called the bank only to be told that all Halifax banking services were down due to power cut at HQ and were not expected to be working before 3 pm at the earliest!:cry:

425 miles from home ,shiney new motorhome to pay for, only £100 in cash , now 28 hrs with no sleep and No Way of PAYING! There was no other way but to wait until 3 pm -5hrs- until payment was finally accepted after a swift ride to a nearby bank to ensure funds were available . Webbs staff saw the funny side and taxied us to a local hotel so we could grab some lunch etc during a monsoon with high winds -truly horrendous conditions etc. They even had a back up plan to get us a room in a local hotel if needed for Saturday night if Halifax system was still down when they closed.

Due to the Halifax payment problems we lost 5 daylight hrs and therefore travelled home most of the 9 hr journey in darkness in some hairy conditions with torrential rain and high gusting winds. Interesting to say the least! Must check the headlamp alignment as the new Boxer lights seem very short in reach on dipped beam headlight position.Drove well but would have gone better with a 100hp outboard motor-or a sail !

Hopefully the rain will stop before June so we can finally get to try out (for the second time) our new hobby! Looking forward to some better times and hope to meet a few of you on our travels. :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
See your having nail biting adventures even before you go anywhere, Hope your new toy is all that you could want in a motorhome and that you have many happy travels from now on

OP
OP
K

kaspian

Free Member
Aug 16, 2009
bonnie Scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 months and counting!
Your probably right Papajohn, it certainly would have earned more interest keeping it in a Tesco carrier bag!::bigsmile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Congratulations on your purchase Kaspian, I hope it serves you well.:thumb:
Sounds as though Webbs looked after you really well, so a well done to them as well.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hopefully the rain will stop before June so we can finally get to try out (for the second time) our new hobby! Looking forward to some better times and hope to meet a few of you on our travels. :thumb:

Don't count on it. It seems to be getting worse.

Don't find out the hard way that FWD MHs are just the pits on wet grass. Hardly any traction. So go find some nice hard standings to practice on.

Have FUN.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
next time take cash.....you'd be suprised what you can get in a tesco carrier bag....:ROFLMAO:

Well well - we all know where you keep your money now I shall keep a close eye on any tesco bags you throw away :ROFLMAO:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
next time take cash.....you'd be suprised what you can get in a tesco carrier bag....:ROFLMAO:

Don't you know that there is a limit to the amount that can be paid in cash, 4 years ago it was £20,000. Thats the law!!!

Doug...

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Look on the bright side Kaspian. At least with that terrible weather you know ( hopefully ) that this one doesn't leak :Smile:

Enjoy and safe travels.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi kaspian

Well they always say alls well that ends well! Lets hope that this applies in your case, you sure had a day of it.

Getting a motorhome has sure proved an adventure, lets hope that you can now have plenty of adventures in it.

Best of luck.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
we moved away from a large bank over a similar issue, buying a van, no trade in so went by hire car, put cleared funds in my current a/c , went into my local bank branch to inform them that on Monday there would be a large transaction going out, they put a note on my account.
Monday night 6pm my Debit card gets declined, speak to authorisation (In India) who advise me they cannot authorise the transaction and to go to my local branch. 6 o.clock at night 200 miles from home!! I was unable to speak to anyone higher on the helpline, so we spent the night in the van on the dealers forecourt. Minus the keys.

Next day finally got it sorted, I never even got a "sorry"

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Banks pay a fortune on "Business continuity" measures including some of the biggest generators I have ever seen (not Honda or Kipor:ROFLMAO:) So why did it take them so long to get back online?

Phil

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
..............Must check the headlamp alignment as the new Boxer lights seem very short in reach on dipped beam headlight position........................:thumb:

With risk of stating something you know about, and have checked.........We have a Boxer based MH, and there is a small knob on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel which elevates or lowers the head lamp beam.

Adge.

OP
OP
K

kaspian

Free Member
Aug 16, 2009
bonnie Scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 months and counting!
Thanks to all for the good wishes. It had occurred to us to stay in the 'home overnight if all else failed, but the weather at that point was rocking the vehicle from side to side quite violently and we feared waking up at 3 am with the 'home on its side! :Eeek:

Adge Ras , I did try adjusting the headlights on the way home, control is on the right in ours with 2 buttons but they were already set on position 0 . Methinks someone did not check alignment at pre- delivery cab check ! Dipped beam falls about 20ft in front of the cab. Something I will need to get checked at local Peugeot dealers with beam adjusting equipment.

Euromobil, I can sympathise as we did exactly the same. thinking this was the safest, most trouble free way of paying leaving nothing to chance!!!

Will spend the next few weeks reinstalling all the extras removed from our first attempt at buying a (C)'D'amper Van and when and if this rain stops give it a good blast underneath with waxoyl !

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Kaspian

Glad everything worked out in the end. We are old Webbs customers (bought from Warminster branch) and I must say that their Customer Service is excellent. They normally put you up in a nearby campsite so that if anything needs explaining again or you have any problems you can call back in the following day.

Anyway enjoy and lets hope the rain is stopping soon.

Sonja

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
Sorry Kaspian ......... But why on earth make such a bloody big who-har outa such a small problem! :Blush:

Obviously wasn't Halifax's fault .... computer systems go down all the time.:Eeek:

And to moan about a short '5hour delay' .... I could back you up if it was 5 days or even 5 weeks hanging around as some on here have had the misfortune to have to wait .... but 5 hours ... c'mon !!!! And appears Webbs were very helpful in sorting you out with lunch etc.

Just enjoy your new toy and stop bloody moanin.....:ROFLMAO: :thumb:

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Webbs would look after you, they wanted their cash, :ROFLMAO:. Enjoy your new motorhome and long may it not leak.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back