Halfords Buyer Beware (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Some months ago I had 4 new Continental Vanco tyres fitted at Halfords High St branch in Lincoln. I have experienced some balancing issues, so I booked an appointment to take the van back and have the wheels checked. I also said that I would pay for the service.
On arrival at the depot I was asked " how heavy is the van"?. In its current state winterised and empty, I said about 3 tonnes.
Its a Swift Bolero.
Sorry we can't do the job, our jacks are only rated to lift 2 tonnes. I said but you aren't lifting the whole van, just each corner in turn. Sorry health and safety, can't do it.
I then said how come the weight and health and safety weren't an issue when you fitted the £400 + tyres in the first place. (This bit will make you laugh) are well the mechanic who did the job has now left and taken his 3 tonne jack with him.
In addition Halfords customer services have been even less helpful.

OP
OP
cakey
Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
They need to jack up each corner of the van in turn to remove the wheel and then balance it on their balancing machine. Although the van doesn't come with a spare wheel non the less a jack is supplied. Only slightly more beefier than a standard car jack

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is booked in tomorrow at a local tyre company. Wish I had gone there in the first place. A round trip of 10 miles instead of the 60 miles to Lincoln and back
So when you've got the wheels sorted out make sure they write on the invoice that it was to correct improperly balance wheels then sling it at the CEO and demand you are refunded for the cost off putting it right plus your extra travel costs to Lincoln!!!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The only restrictions for motorhomes at most garages is the weight limit of their drive on hoists. Many places have a 3 ton limit where their equipment is rated at 3 tons, but normal trolley jacks at a commercial tyre fitting facility, this is laughable. Perhaps they are using Hellfords own DIY jacks. Even these could almost cope if you bought them elsewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
But all they have to do is stick a trolly jack under each corner in turn - the 3t total weight won't come into it.
Start a shit storm on their Facebook page - businesses hate it, as thousands of folk get a ring side seat to their cock up ;)

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If you take wheels off without lifting it make re fitting dificult:xdoh:

Surely they could take one wheel off at a time with a trolley jack balance it and then put it back on the vehicle.

Took mine in to place in Lincoln and had 6 tyres fitted and balanced. Used the E&P levelling to get the wheels off. Chassis is 5.9 ton

Last edited:

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Go to a go faster sticky tape outfit get boy blunder as a tyre fitter

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I then said how come the weight and health and safety weren't an issue when you fitted the £400 + tyres in the first place. (This bit will make you laugh) are well the mechanic who did the job has now left and taken his 3 tonne jack with him.
If this is true (which I doubt, excuses), Halfords insurance company might not like the're way of working, as my understanding is all commercial lifting equipment has to tested/certified at regular intervals and paperwork issued.

Did Halfords check the mechanics equipment for this before using it, if not they probably would not be insured for any damage, injury/death from this equipment failure.
Poor business management if the case.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
All lifting equipment in any properly run garage is coded for identity and subject to an annual engineers inspection and written report
An individual mechanic would not be permitted to use any of his own lifting gear for the reasons quoted above

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
In addition Halfords customer services have been even less helpful.
the new mechanic should have popped into the nearest halfrauds they sell trolley jacks.

OP
OP
cakey
Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Because I was trying (that's what my mum you to say) to keep my initial post short what I did'nt mention was that the guy who told me the mechanic who originally did the job had left and taken his jack with him was actually the guy who did the job. You just couldn't make this story up!!!!

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I wouldn't give Halfords the steam off my p!
I took my wife's car there for a suspected slow puncture.
Two guys/staff in the reception, one hastily retreated to behind the scenes and the other picked the phone up and started dialling so I waited and waited. Then when phone guy finished his conversation and hung up, he minced about shuffling papers and then took an incoming call - whilst I was stood at counter in front of him.
So I left and went to kwikfit where I got a really good customer service and a new tyre.
Id email that Jill McDonald and tell her to bring in her brother Ronald's customer service ethics!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I wouldn't give Halfords the steam off my p!
I took my wife's car there for a suspected slow puncture.
Two guys/staff in the reception, one hastily retreated to behind the scenes and the other picked the phone up and started dialling so I waited and waited. Then when phone guy finished his conversation and hung up, he minced about shuffling papers and then took an incoming call - whilst I was stood at counter in front of him.
So I left and went to kwikfit where I got a really good customer service and a new tyre.
Id email that Jill McDonald and tell her to bring in her brother Ronald's customer service ethics!
Why not!! they have got half his staff :xrofl::xrofl:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It is booked in tomorrow at a local tyre company. Wish I had gone there in the first place. A round trip of 10 miles instead of the 60 miles to Lincoln and back
Saved a tender on the tyres and spent £30 on diesel
Good old funster logick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back