LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We like our MH but hate this half a dinette table since you cant just slide it back n forth.
Just wondering if anyone has modified theirs to make it easier to get in and out. Or have you made another one less clumsy and heavy that you can also use to form the bed?

Attachments

• 20141103_181908.jpg
    20141103_181908.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 189
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Have a look at Caktanks or Magnums sites, they have "swing and lock table legs, which would convert your existing table top to a stand alone table, slidable side to side, closed acts as the bed infill support, or a free standing table for out door use.
www.caktanks.co.uk

www.magnums.co.uk

Hope this helps

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at Caktanks or Magnums sites, they have "swing and lock table legs, which would convert your existing table top to a stand alone table, slidable side to side, closed acts as the bed infill support, or a free standing table for out door use.
www.caktanks.co.uk

www.magnums.co.uk

Hope this helps
I think you mean Magnum Motorhomes' site:

http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We like our MH but hate this half a dinette table since you cant just slide it back n forth.
Ours slides - there is a knack to it and it is heavy.

We are thinking of taking ours out when there is just two of us and using a stand alone lighter table. We'll still need the supplied table if we need the extra bed though.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Many thanks for the links provided nomadic and Minx.
Some good info on the links and
This gives us options now. :)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had a similar layout, took the table off the wall cleaned everything, sprayed with a silicone lubricant worked much better.

But it was too big we looked around for a smaller table top, but the prices were ridiculous from most suppliers, in the end we decided to buy some cheap worktop (ikea) cut to size and replaced. - It works very well, meant to be temporary but not changed after 3 months, theory was to try size then get something proper. The new table is shorter and narrower, it is easier to move and gives more room around the table.

View media item 13678View media item 13679View media item 13680

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I also have a dinette table that slides but find it is too heavy and it only gets used if there are more than 2 of us eating. I use a couple of the small TV folding tables - £7.99 each and so easy to use. Thankfully the table supplied isn't needed for the occasional bed so it isn't often used. However as I have a PVC it can be used for outside dining as there is a fitting attached.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your table is already quite tight for space so the problem of being able to push it sufficiently forward to the cab seat to be able to get into the dinette seat wouldn't be solved simply by replacing it with another lighter version and I'd be reluctant to reduce the part which links to the rail on the side of the van as reducing this width could make it unstable, instead you could make a dogleg style table so that the link part is the same width but the rest the table has a width reduction - in the photo attached you'd make a table top and cut out the coloured in section. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to still be able to adapt if for bed making duty too.

cutout 1.jpg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had a similar layout, took the table off the wall cleaned everything, sprayed with a silicone lubricant worked much better.

But it was too big we looked around for a smaller table top, but the prices were ridiculous from most suppliers, in the end we decided to buy some cheap worktop (ikea) cut to size and replaced. - It works very well, meant to be temporary but not changed after 3 months, theory was to try size then get something proper. The new table is shorter and narrower, it is easier to move and gives more room around the table.

We have a similar problem to the OP and I am interested in any solution. I can't seem to access your photos. I get an error message saying that I do not have permission to view the media. Any chance of inserting the piccys in a post please?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Your table is already quite tight for space so the problem of being able to push it sufficiently forward to the cab seat to be able to get into the dinette seat wouldn't be solved simply by replacing it with another lighter version and I'd be reluctant to reduce the part which links to the rail on the side of the van as reducing this width could make it unstable, instead you could make a dogleg style table so that the link part is the same width but the rest the table has a width reduction - in the photo attached you'd make a table top and cut out the coloured in section. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to still be able to adapt if for bed making duty too.

View attachment 46796
Not quite sure I'm following you here. I was thinking cutting away a duplicate on the RH, what benefit is it on the LH, I'm probably missing something here.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The new table is shorter and narrower, it is easier to move and gives more room around the table.
Table looks great but have you tried it making up the bed?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When we had a Chausson Flash 04 I removed the large table which was similar to yours and replaced it with a different top on a cranked table let, as well as a small flap table/shelf at the side, I off-set the cranked leg so that we had more adjustment on the table top to get it just right and the flap was set just above the height of the table so that the table could swivel round underneath it to save having to put the flap down to use the table, it worked a treat:

r - flap only.JPG
r - normal top view.JPG
r - swivelled with flap.JPG
r - table with flap.jpg
r - underneath.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not quite sure I'm following you here. I was thinking cutting away a duplicate on the RH, what benefit is it on the LH, I'm probably missing something here.
I assumed that your main problem was getting in/out of the dinette seat, rather than the cab seat, if it is the dinette it would obviously allow more space between the seat and the table, if however it is the cab then of course you would want to reduce the table on that side - which are you having a problem with exactly?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Having trouble with the whole thing really. You just cant slide it either way without lifting the thing up, in which case it has to be clear. I'm really liking your photos though cant quite see whats supporting the weight.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This close up shows the leg under the table, the top lifted off completely if required hence why in my first photo above you can only see the cranked leg, most of these types of legs don't allow you to lift the top off.

support.jpg

This is the shape I was talking about for your revised table top.

table tops.png

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Getting the hang of it now. Think I will be showing this to a local joiner. Will save on changing MH as otherwise we are happy with the layout etc. THANKYOU

prusling

Free Member
Mar 16, 2015
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto
Exp
Since 2005

Just seen this thread and your reply which sounds just like what I want to do for our Autocruise Alto. Please could you advise which table fixings you used - I've found a number of "hook n lock" type fixing to attach to the table but it's not clear whether they are designed to fit over our 12mm rail. Cheers

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It is a hook and lock type (I think), but we took the fittings off the existing table and just put them on the smaller top, cleaning the fittings and a quick squirt of WD40 also helped. Have looked them up on the spare parts sites and think it is the one shown on this link, sure they are other suppliers, the same company also do the legs:

We have still not bothered changing the Ikea top, we are going to change the van shortly and will have a completely different arrangement which hopefully we will not feel the need to change at all!

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Neilfg , thanks for the link to the Adria parts , mine broke two tabs off table side when I lifted it up one handedly and it twisted , doh .:thanks3:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have just come in from actually working out how to do the same to my Chausson table, it is held by hook and clip at the window and sits on a breaking leg to make the lower bed up. I cam to the conclusion that cutting a lump out as per the phote is exactly what I need to do. However when I weighd the table it comes out at 32lbs because it is thick chipboard with timber edges and the under part is 3/4" plyboard, Why??? I suppose it is a worst case scenario for two heavy people sleeping on it and they have made it massive to cope.
It does make doing the bed bit a difficult job as it fouls the cushion and is a lump to lift off and lower to the bottom rack.
Answer for me is to put it aside and make a new top that is lighter, smaller and easier to fit. By doing that I will have the original fit and the extra bit to go in to make the extension which also weighs in at10 lbs.=== 42lb for a table??? save carrying that around would add to my payload .

prusling

Free Member
Mar 16, 2015
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto
Exp
Since 2005
It is a hook and lock type (I think), but we took the fittings off the existing table and just put them on the smaller top, cleaning the fittings and a quick squirt of WD40 also helped. Have looked them up on the spare parts sites and think it is the one shown on this link, sure they are other suppliers, the same company also do the legs:

We have still not bothered changing the Ikea top, we are going to change the van shortly and will have a completely different arrangement which hopefully we will not feel the need to change at all!

Thanks, Neilfg. Mine attaches to a 12mm rail which is circular in profile. A supplier has said that the standard hook n lock fittings are more like 14mm but I'll give them a try and report back.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Ours slides - there is a knack to it and it is heavy.

We are thinking of taking ours out when there is just two of us and using a stand alone lighter table. We'll still need the supplied table if we need the extra bed though.
We have the same problem PD. It's the perfect height for the two of us to eat at, but it very heavy and there is no designated cupboard, we have to travel with it on the bed. The free standing one supplied has its own cupboard, but is also heavy and totally the wrong height and size! We need to find a lightweight freestanding table that is the right height and size, and it's not proving very easy. :(

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I replaced the whole table with a much smaller 'coffee table'

bought another leg and clips so it uses identical fixings but it is 60% smaller

we change it to the 'big table' when there are lots of us, otherwise it mainly the 'coffee table' for motoring and during the day

lillyputt leisure in wisbeach had all the bits needed and made us a custom top

N

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I replaced the whole table with a much smaller 'coffee table'

bought another leg and clips so it uses identical fixings but it is 60% smaller

we change it to the 'big table' when there are lots of us, otherwise it mainly the 'coffee table' for motoring and during the day

lillyputt leisure in wisbeach had all the bits needed and made us a custom top

N

Thanks for this - we'll look!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back