maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Does that mean that hair dryers do not need pure sine wave output? Can anybody explain to me what needs pure sine wave. I have heard tell that rechargeable toothbrushes won't. What else? How about rechargeable shavers? Or a laptop with usual external power supply?

Hairdryers are fine on modified sine wave. Rechargeable toothbrushes and shavers that use inductive chargers (ie those that have no apparent electrical connection and just sit in or on a plastic cradle of some description) need pure sine wave. You might find that an inductive charger will work for a short while on modified sine but sooner or later it will ruin it. For those of us softies who like an electric blanket, the electronic controllers on modern blankets also need pure sine wave.

I don't know about laptops as I only charge mine direct off the 12v but someone else on here is bound to know. :Smile:

OP
OP
Z

zooky

Free Member
May 16, 2014
Ware
Funster No
MH
swift
Exp
since 2011
Inverter/hairdryer

having made some enquiries to the suppliers of all things camping, evidently the inverter which is incredibly easy to fit, work great for laptops tv's etc. However once you get to an appliance that chucks out a bit of heat you're looking at around 400 quid for an inverter that can accommodate! I'll speak to the ol man see what he says... :ROFLMAO:

hair.jpeg

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'm afraid that's correct if you want a good quality pure sine wave model. Here is one that should do the job and I think Roadpro offer a 5% Funster discount.
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Or you could do what I do and use a wired-in 1000w modified sine wave inverter (around £75 for Silverline version) to run the 800w hairdryer. Then have a separate 200w pure sine inverter (around £135 for Sterling version) that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket for those lower wattage 'fussy about wave form' devices. :Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Good alternative Maz. I was going for the simple safest option because I have read that modified/quasi sine wave inverters destroy GHD hair equipment - tongs etc? (I know nothing about the finer points of coiffure - electronics you understand).

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Good alternative Maz. I was going for the simple safest option because I have read that modified/quasi sine wave inverters destroy GHD hair equipment - tongs etc? (I know nothing about the finer points of coiffure - electronics you understand).

All I know about GHD equipment is that it's too expensive! ::bigsmile:

Would suggest that maybe if a person is dependent on GHD products then life off hook-up at a festival is possibly not for them. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Maz. That sounds a good option. Where did you get the Silverline version from please?

I can't remember now - one of the online retailers. I would have just googled 'Silverline 12v 1000w inverter' and gone for whoever was selling it the cheapest. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back