Hair Driers (1 Viewer)

S

Silverback

Deleted User
Hi all;
Completely new to the game, and I know this question has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to find it on searching. ( computer illiterate).
Bought a 1997 Swift Kon Tiki 3 weeks ago, and used it for the first time this weekend !
Brilliant time was had by all.:Smile:
Right my question; can the Mrs use her hair drier from the plugs fitted to the motorhome as standard ?
I remember when we viewed it, that the previous owner had an invertor , which he removed prior to sale.
Would I be right in thinking, that I need to use / obtain an invertor for the Mrs to use her hair drier, as I told her, or CAN she use it straight from the plugs .
This is without a hook up electric supply, and just running from the twin leisure batteries fitted.
I have been told that If she can't have her hair drier the next time we go, I can't have my precious red wine .:cry:
If I need an invertor, what one / type / capacity, would I need to use a hair drier from it.
Many thanks and hello to all :thumb:.

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
You can get a 12v hair dryer to run from batteries but not very good you could get an inverter to run an hairdryer but would not recommend this has it would soon drain your batteries,best route is a genny if your missis insists on this.
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Silverback

Deleted User
Hair drier

Thanks for the replies guys.
Just as a point, Is it the case that the normal house hold hair drier will not run from the plugs fitted in the motorhome without hook up ?
Do these plugs then become 240 / 230 v with hook up ?

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If you are on a electric hook up your normal hair dryer will work fine, when you are not on electric then you can use the small travel hair dryer off the invertor, but I would add they are ok for short hair but it would take forever if your hair has any lengh to it, I know I have tried. Carol.

Upvote 0

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
I have a 12 volt dryer but it is fairly useless.
When on hook up I can usually use the 1600wat dryer in GB with no problems. When on sites in France it's usually ok too. But on a 3 amp supply in Italy and 2 amp in Florence it was no go.Some camp sites in France and in Italy have a communal dryer in the shower block.
If it's a case of no red wine it's worth checking.
If on an aire or with no electric ,it's a generator job as the last post said.
Lucille

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the replies guys.
Just as a point, Is it the case that the normal house hold hair drier will not run from the plugs fitted in the motorhome without hook up ?
Do these plugs then become 240 / 230 v with hook up ?

correct.....when on hookup or generator your normal 3pin plugs are 230v.
without hookup or gennie there are dead.
the small 2 pin plugs are 12v only.

to use a hairdrier on an invertor will need a pretty large invertor (1500watts +) and will flatten your leisure battery very quickly.
anything that has a sole purpose of producing heat will flatten the batteries in a short time.

a 1500w drier will draw (on an invertor) a current of 125amps plus the inefficiencies in the invertor may make it over 130amps.....that will give you maybe 10/15 mins on a 110ah battery before its severly discharged (around 50%) and may be damaged if not recharged immediately.

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
Your mains sockets in your van will become "Live " on hook up and subject to the Amperage of the supplied Electricity you will be able to use a hair dryer or most other appliances you use at home,IE. Vacumn cleaner ,toaster, kettle, iron microwave etc, but NOT all at the same time as you will overload the hook up and the trip will trip, no big deal as the trip is easily reset.If you fit an Inverter in you van you will be able to use all the appliances as well, BUT you will need extra batteries fitted and a Solar panel to keep the batteries charged, I have a 2000 watt inverter and three leisure batteries and solar panels in my van and we wild camp extensively and never run out of battery power,you could also get a Generator and run your van on this but as most hair driers are 1500 watts or more you will need a 2000 watt Gennie to cope properly. I have a Gennie but rarely use it as I think they are noisy and intrusive, mine is an Honda one of the quieter types they say but I still think they are a pain, only to be used in an emergency is my thoughts.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
I should have said that when I fitted my Inverter in my van I ran a series of new mains sockets from it so only these are live when the Inverter is switched on, and not the existing mains sockets.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Silverback

Deleted User
Thanks all.

Cheers, for the reply folks, its only now that she believes me after reading the posts !
I've informed her that save getting a generator ( costly ), we could either plan trips in force 9 gales, or drive around with her head out the window !
By the way, invaluable site for complete newcomers like me.
Wanted a motorhome for years, took the plunge 4 weeks ago.
See you out there ! :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Bevis on wheels

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
near Sheffield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years but travelled for years
hair dryers

Cheers, for the reply folks, its only now that she believes me after reading the posts !
I've informed her that save getting a generator ( costly ), we could either plan trips in force 9 gales, or drive around with her head out the window !
By the way, invaluable site for complete newcomers like me.
Wanted a motorhome for years, took the plunge 4 weeks ago.
See you out there ! :RollEyes:

As a long haired lady I have tried lots of methods of hairdrying- believe me- it's not fun when you get a headache from having cold wet hair.........12 volt hair dryers are a waste of money but if you've got a gas fire in your motorhome, she can sit ( not too ) near it and that's what I do when we wild camp or on sites with no electricity.......so tell me why we've swapped vans to one with no fire in????? looks like I'll need a new woolly hat!:Smile:
on a practical note, hair dries quite quickly when you're on the move with the airflow directed appropriately ( not hanging out of the window though). Is this enough to get you your wine? Motorhoming is not the same without it and it helps your hair dry....really!!!!!
enjoy your motorhome!

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
12 volt driers are a waste of time. I did read somewhere that someone was about to release a gas/battery drier but never seen one for sale anywhere.

Im afraid its a small genny or a bloody big invertor and a big battery bank :Angry:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back