Haha......enough of your tiny tablets! (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yeah guess what! Steve Jobs is "DEAD" and has been so for almost 4 years.
As far as I know he does not run Apple from the grave!
So I guess that means that some one else is dictating Apple policy!
I don't think bringing the late Steve Jobs into your argument does you any favours at all!

:cooler:
The fishing rod should have given it away. I was having a bit of fun like the forum title suggests. Baiting Apple users can be quite good fun :whistle::p

If however you want me to be serious. Apple fans tend to worship Job's and elevate him to a kind of Godhood... The above are just a few of the many times he was wrong like any man can be.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Flash is not open source, it has lots of security issues, Adobie have failed to bring it into the 21st century, it burns up battery power and H.264 is just vastly superior.
Just a few reasons why Apple don't use Flash.

Flash will soon be consigned to the history books, which is where it belongs.

I was referring to flash storage.. but thanks (y)
Adobe Flash though .. as you know.. played an important part in Web development in its day.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I don't understand the lack of customisation point. In what way do you want to customise it that you can't?

I have a 64GB iPhone and have had a problem with storage. I've posted why I think there isn't an onboard card reader (post #49) and I'm afraid you're mistaken about lack of support for SD cards - an external SD card reader is available should you feel the need. I personally don't.
I do take your point about the lack of flash support. It can be mildly annoying at times but it's never stopped me doing anything I've wanted to.
I have the external card reader and the whole process of... say... looking at and maybe editing a whole set of images from a camera is just a bit poo ..
And customisation. . Widgets are great as is being able to have multiple home screens in any layout you like ... different launchers etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
The fishing rod should have given it away. I was having a bit of fun like the forum title suggests. Baiting Apple users can be quite good fun :whistle::p

If however you want me to be serious. Apple fans tend to worship Job's and elevate him to a kind of Godhood... The above are just a few of the many times he was wrong like any man can be.

Steve Jobs was a marketing genius, which is not in doubt. He dragged Apple back from the abyss to be the largest and richest company in the world.
I'll bet there are plenty of companies around the world who wish they had a CEO like him.

It was the Stylus reference, which both you and I know, would not have happened had Steve Jobs still been in charge.

Out of interest Apple sell more iPad Air than they do iPod mini and many pundits are predicting the eventual demise of the small tablets, in the next few years.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have the external card reader and the whole process of... say... looking at and maybe editing a whole set of images from a camera is just a bit poo ..
And customisation. . Widgets are great as is being able to have multiple home screens in any layout you like ... different launchers etc

I look at and edit images for a living and the thought of even attempting to do that on any kind of mobile device makes me shudder so never going to agree with you there. If I really needed to be able to do that on the move I would take a MacBook with me. Even that's not ideal but a 15" screen just about usable.

The Widget and multiple home screen thing. Yes OK, it's quite good fun but is it really that important?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
many pundits are predicting the eventual demise of the small tablets, in the next few years.

I don't believe that for a second although I can understand where they are coming from.
The problem at the start was the iPhone was too small and the iPad was too big....

Phones got bigger and I believe that 5.5" is about right. What pushed the 7" tablets to become so popular was that phones were too small to use and 10" tablets were too big to be easily portable.
7" was the perfect balance between the two.

Now that phones have gotten bigger and are now a usable size. perhaps this will diminish the popularity of 7" tablets. I doubt it though as a lot of people find 5"+ phones too big.

I have a Galaxy Note and it is an epic phone, I also had a 7" tablet which I found too small. This was mainly a perception thing as they were so close together in size. I now have the 9" Nexus tablet which is superb. The combination of a the Note and the Nexus 9 is perfect for me. Going bigger would mean having 3 devices as 12" is not really portable enough.

I will give Apple Kudos for one thing though. Their screens are 4:3 ratio... Android tends to be wide screen mode which makes them totally unsuitable for browsing and reading pdf files and other manuals. I didn't realise how bad they were until I got the Nexus 9 which is in 4:3 ratio also.

I can live with the black bar top and bottom while watching videos in order to have a decent screen the rest of the time.

My prediction is that the market will be fairly evenly split. There will be those who want the big screen phones and they will have the full fat iPad or larger form tablet. Then there will be those who want a compact smart phone who will stick with the 7" tablets.

7" tablets are just too portable and convenient to fade away in my opinion.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I look at and edit images for a living and the thought of even attempting to do that on any kind of mobile device makes me shudder so never going to agree with you there. If I really needed to be able to do that on the move I would take a MacBook with me. Even that's not ideal but a 15" screen just about usable.

That pretty much sums up my view of tablets. They are for consumption not for production.
Sure you can edit a document and maybe do a little bit of a spreadsheet. But for serious work, programming, video editing, photo editing, cad, accountancy etc etc etc you need a real computer or laptop.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I don't believe that for a second although I can understand where they are coming from.
The problem at the start was the iPhone was too small and the iPad was too big....

Phones got bigger and I believe that 5.5" is about right. What pushed the 7" tablets to become so popular was that phones were too small to use and 10" tablets were too big to be easily portable.
7" was the perfect balance between the two.

Now that phones have gotten bigger and are now a usable size. perhaps this will diminish the popularity of 7" tablets. I doubt it though as a lot of people find 5"+ phones too big.

I have a Galaxy Note and it is an epic phone, I also had a 7" tablet which I found too small. This was mainly a perception thing as they were so close together in size. I now have the 9" Nexus tablet which is superb. The combination of a the Note and the Nexus 9 is perfect for me. Going bigger would mean having 3 devices as 12" is not really portable enough.

I will give Apple Kudos for one thing though. Their screens are 4:3 ratio... Android tends to be wide screen mode which makes them totally unsuitable for browsing and reading pdf files and other manuals. I didn't realise how bad they were until I got the Nexus 9 which is in 4:3 ratio also.

I can live with the black bar top and bottom while watching videos in order to have a decent screen the rest of the time.

My prediction is that the market will be fairly evenly split. There will be those who want the big screen phones and they will have the full fat iPad or larger form tablet. Then there will be those who want a compact smart phone who will stick with the 7" tablets.

7" tablets are just too portable and convenient to fade away in my opinion.

agree...I'm downsizing from a 6 inch phone to 5.5:)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
O
That pretty much sums up my view of tablets. They are for consumption not for production.
Sure you can edit a document and maybe do a little bit of a spreadsheet. But for serious work, programming, video editing, photo editing, cad, accountancy etc etc etc you need a real computer or laptop.
Of course you would and i do. . But I also go away a lot in the van. I have no desire to own a mac book and when away we stick some images on twitter instagram etc ... much less hassle to use an android device to do that than an ipad. .. (which we only use as an extra TV anyway)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Linx 7 24gig boots in less than 60 secs, cost £69
Ipad mini 16gig boots in micro secs, cost £239

No brainer for me.:)

Ian

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
If the new Pencil only works with the Ipad Pro then it needs to be attached to it. I would definitely lose it within a week.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back