Haha......enough of your tiny tablets! (2 Viewers)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I look forward to meeting you then. OS X is a poor substitute for a decent operating system and every Linux distro I have ever used has been awkward and buggy.

Windows isn't perfect but for most people it works and is intuitive.. that's all an OS should be.

Personally I prefer Chrome OS but my needs are different.

How is OS X a substitute, poor or otherwise? It's fast, stable when running multiple applications and not pestering me to do pointless updates every 30 seconds. That's all I want an OS to do. I don't think I've ever known any of my Macs to crash. If Microsoft ever develop an OS properly so it's that stable I might have a look. Until they do....

I can't believe someone has used Windows, works and intuitive in one positive sentence. I half think you're :reel: but I guess probably not. I have one Windows machine at work running one single piece of software to control a machine. I have no choice in the matter, the software isn't written for any other platform. That one machine causes me more grief every week than half a dozen Macs combined have in all the time I've owned them.

Never used Chrome OS so can't really comment other than to say I believe it's Linux based so you're kind of disagreeing with yourself. Is that what Chromebooks run?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Back to the new iPad Pro, as far as I'm aware, you will be able to get one with a built in sim chip, something that Apple threatened to do with the iPhone a couple of years ago.
This had the network providers worried when it was muted back then.
This is a huge game changer and they know it.

:cooler:

Some of the tech in it definitely has the potential to be a game changer as you say. The size is the only thing that I'm not convinced about. If I have to carry around something the size of a MacBook it may as well be a MacBook

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Some of the tech in it definitely has the potential to be a game changer as you say. The size is the only thing that I'm not convinced about. If I have to carry around something the size of a MacBook it may as well be a MacBook

Yeah I know where you are with this, but cast your mind back to the launch of the iPad and many said, why do I need a tablet and where does it fit in?

The rest, as they say, is history!

Maybe the laptop and the notebook could soon be history too.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I haven't seen such such strong views expressed since the last thread on immigrants or was it the clandestine disposal of black waste?

So for a new world record we need a thread about immigrants sneaking over here to dispose of their black waste but getting into problems because of their tablet operating systems.

In a more helpful vein my experience is you can quickly adapt to more or less anything, at which point it become normal.

Cars are a good example. Drive a Land Rover Defender or especially one of its earlier versions for a few weeks and you will soon think it is a refined and comfortable vehicle. Get out of it afterwards and try something else and you will quickly see how wrong you were. Which is not to say the Defender isn't a great vehicle, but refined it isn't.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Maybe the laptop and the notebook could soon be history too.

I guess that's ultimately what will happen, just not any time soon. The biggest hurdle to overcome is how to get a proper, full OS into a mobile device. iOS isn't it, Android definitely isn't it and the Windows phone nonsense is so disastrous it's almost funny.

The problem would be that if you make an iPad run OS X and strap a keyboard to it what you effectively have is a touchscreen MacBook Air. I'd probably come at it from that direction - make the Air touchscreen and maybe have a removable keyboard.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Drive a Land Rover Defender or especially one of its earlier versions for a few weeks and you will soon think it is a refined and comfortable vehicle. Get out of it afterwards and try something else and you will quickly see how wrong you were. Which is not to say the Defender isn't a great vehicle, but refined it isn't.

I love Defenders. A couple of friends with mid life crises have got them. What the Defender is though, is the only Land Rover that does what it says on the tin. If you get out of one and get into a Range Rover you will definitely feel more refined and comfortable. For about 400 yards until it breaks down.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I guess that's ultimately what will happen, just not any time soon. The biggest hurdle to overcome is how to get a proper, full OS into a mobile device. iOS isn't it, Android definitely isn't it and the Windows phone nonsense is so disastrous it's almost funny.

The problem would be that if you make an iPad run OS X and strap a keyboard to it what you effectively have is a touchscreen MacBook Air. I'd probably come at it from that direction - make the Air touchscreen and maybe have a removable keyboard.

I think this is where I was coming from earlier, Ios now has some great apps that are easier to use than OSX, they cover word processing, spread sheets, photo editors and lots more at a fraction of the cost of OSX apps/programmes, I love iOS and with bluetooth keyboards and wireless printing you are not losing out on the established Notepads/books

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.

The iPad Pro has an optional wireless keyboard,

I know that the Microsoft Touch and things like the Asus Transformer have got there first, but their operating system is not good.

Maybe, just maybe, with IOS 9, Apple feel that they have made the breakthrough and they can now develope a tablet, that will replace the laptop.

To be honest, if we relied on the other hardware providers, to move things on, the true Smart phone and true Tablet would still be a distant dream.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think this is where I was coming from earlier, Ios now has some great apps that are easier to use than OSX, they cover word processing, spread sheets, photo editors and lots more at a fraction of the cost of OSX apps/programmes, I love iOS and with bluetooth keyboards and wireless printing you are not losing out on the established Notepads/books

I got where you were coming from earlier. Personally I prefer OS X to iOS, mainly because I don't really like "lite" versions of apps. The things I use every day need to be full power and the iOS versions just don't cut it for me. They have their place but I couldn't use them for anything important. It depends what you're doing with them I suppose.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
surface-ipad-comic-joel-watson.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
that cartoon was released in 2012 when iFan's mocked the surface... Even predicted the year...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
One last point. In 2010 Steve Jobs stated that 7" tablets wouldn't sell well that his almost 10" tablet was the perfect size. Guess what 7" tablets outsold 10" by a magnitude. Apple was finally forced to release the iPad mini..

Steve Jobs also said that if you had to include a stylus with a tablet then you had failed on the tablets design. Guess what.....

So screen size, stylus and keyboard... :reel::reel::reel::reel:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Why on earth would Mr & Mrs average want to lug around a 13" tablet of any flavour? I use a 7" running win 10, I can surf, read emails,read books, boots in under 60secs, what more do I need? And it fits in a large pocket in my jacket. Including a case and 64gig micro sd card it cost under £100 brand new. Why pay more?

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
boots in under 60secs,

Us Ipad users have been browsing for 59 of those seconds. Lifes too short for boot up time Ian :)

I find the original size ipad is perfect for reading newspapers and magazines as well as surfing. My son thinks the 7 inch is perfect, but his eyesight is much better than mine these days. Yes I can do much of what I do on an iPad on my large smartphone, but it's just not quite as easy with plenty of zooming and scrolling. I love Macs, and rarely use anything other than iMacs or MacBooks but they've lost their way on the new product front. I think that stupid watch and now the giant iPad proves that easily.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
So what do you touch?

Samsung Galaxy Tab S. The Iphone / Ipad thing is a bit like the Betamax vs VHS war in the 70s/80s where Betamax was technically far superior but VHS was marketed much better. The unknowing all bought VHS, and Betamax died out. Apple's marketing is probably the best in the world and the Iphone / Ipad have become fashion icons. There is no doubt that Apple Computers and OSX are far superior to any Windows PC but with phones and tablets they just can't keep up and for anybody but the average user Apple impose too many restrictions on them unless you jailbreak them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
These the sort of tactics I'm talking about..releasing a 16 gb £619 phone with no memory card slot in this day and age!lol

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-should-not-be-selling-16gb-iphone-6s-6s-plus

I am waiting for a Android OPO2 to arrive next week, 64 Gb dual sim £289:rolleyes:

BTW we have an ipad but can do most thinks on my Acer phablet phone and its much easier to handle and cart about...

Only a guess but I think a possible reason that no Apple products have memory card slots is that they very much push cloud based storage. Of course it also depends what you want to do with the phone. If you just want a phone then 16GB is more than enough. If you want to carry your entire music collection and then entire Only Fools and Horses box set around with you then obviously it isn't.

The headline prices of pretty much all handsets are ridiculous but how many do they actually sell directly? I imagine that the vast majority of new handsets are supplied via the network operators with contracts so the user isn't actually paying the upfront cost of the handset although obviously they do pay for it over the length of the contract.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S. The Iphone / Ipad thing is a bit like the Betamax vs VHS war in the 70s/80s where Betamax was technically far superior but VHS was marketed much better. The unknowing all bought VHS, and Betamax died out. Apple's marketing is probably the best in the world and the Iphone / Ipad have become fashion icons. There is no doubt that Apple Computers and OSX are far superior to any Windows PC but with phones and tablets they just can't keep up and for anybody but the average user Apple impose too many restrictions on them unless you jailbreak them.

VHS became the norm in the UK mainly because of the rental market. In those days people rented instead of buying because of the high cost of the machines. The rental market in the UK was dominated by the Thorn Group who owned Radio Rentals and Rumbelows, but the also owned Ferguson. They got a licence deal with JVC to manufacture VHS machines for the rental market. So most people rented a Ferguson machine and bought VHS tapes. When the players fell in price to an affordable level those who had rented bought a VHS machine, because that was the type of tapes they already had. The fact that the Betmax system was superior was never in question and it is still used in broadcasting and programme making all around the world, where as VHS is dead and buried.

I have yet to discover what you can do with a jailbroken iPhone/iPad that you can't do with an unjailbroken one! Mabe someone can enlighten me.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
anybody but the average user Apple impose too many restrictions on them unless you jailbreak them.

This is another myth I keep hearing. I always ask the same questions:

What exactly are these restrictions? What is Apple stopping me from doing that I want to do?

Note: I said "what I want to do" not "list a load of obscure crap Android devices can do that I'm not the slightest bit interested it"

Nobody has ever managed to give me a sensible answer to either question yet. I've got several old iPhones lying around. I've never bothered jailbreaking any of them but I would if someone could suggest just one single thing I can't do now that interests me.

P.S. Don't bother trying to tell me I can't develop my own apps either. That's another popular anti-Apple myth. It's no more difficult to develop iOS apps than it is Android ones.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I don't care what you say about ipads. . Ours makes a great bedroom TV in the van.. we use our android tablets for anything else.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
What exactly are these restrictions? What is Apple stopping me from doing that I want to do?
Restrictions that annoy me are lack of customisation. . lack of storage and support for flash and sd cards. ..
It is a great TV tho

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
One last point. In 2010 Steve Jobs stated that 7" tablets wouldn't sell well that his almost 10" tablet was the perfect size. Guess what 7" tablets outsold 10" by a magnitude. Apple was finally forced to release the iPad mini..

Steve Jobs also said that if you had to include a stylus with a tablet then you had failed on the tablets design. Guess what.....

Yes, but I think we agreed some time ago, that others may invent a concept, but it needs Apple to make it work and design the hardware that people want to buy.

Probably why the Android copies of Apple hardware even started in "White", the idea being if it looks like an Apple product people will buy it.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Well that says to me that I am either Mr or Mrs Average and that you Mr poohbear ARE so technically superior that you have discovered and covet other (better) OSystems or are we just dealing with your opinion here.
linux is a better operating system but it is not that easy for everyone who just wants a plug and play system.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Linux is King. Of the worlds top 500 Super-computers 96% use a linux operating system. Fun runs on it, most phones, air traffic control, smart cars, satellites, most of the worlds weapon systems and even your smart fridge use it. I use linux mint, its pretty good. Much faster that windows, in fact where a laptop running windows would boot in two minutes, using Mint your up and ready in about 30/40 seconds Its not complicated; if you can use windows you can use it, it really is simple, but it's not that intuitive so there is a bit of a steep learning curve at first.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Linux is King. Of the worlds top 500 Super-computers 96% use a linux operating system. Fun runs on it, most phones, air traffic control, smart cars, satellites, most of the worlds weapon systems and even your smart fridge use it. I use linux mint, its pretty good. Much faster that windows, in fact where a laptop running windows would boot in two minutes, using Mint your up and ready in about 30/40 seconds Its not complicated; if you can use windows you can use it, it really is simple, but it's not that intuitive so there is a bit of a steep learning curve at first.

I have Android smart TV boxes and a Linux one. The Linux box knocks spots off the Android ones.

I have often wondered why the iPhone/iPad clones went down the Android route when they could have had a Linux OS for nothing. I fear that if they had done so, Apple would not have been very happy.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Restrictions that annoy me are lack of customisation. . lack of storage and support for flash and sd cards. ..
It is a great TV tho

I don't understand the lack of customisation point. In what way do you want to customise it that you can't?

I have a 64GB iPhone and have had a problem with storage. I've posted why I think there isn't an onboard card reader (post #49) and I'm afraid you're mistaken about lack of support for SD cards - an external SD card reader is available should you feel the need. I personally don't.
I do take your point about the lack of flash support. It can be mildly annoying at times but it's never stopped me doing anything I've wanted to.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
It is a great TV tho

Flash is not open source, it has lots of security issues, Adobie have failed to bring it into the 21st century, it burns up battery power and H.264 is just vastly superior.
Just a few reasons why Apple don't use Flash.

Flash will soon be consigned to the history books, which is where it belongs.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.

Yeah guess what! Steve Jobs is "DEAD" and has been so for almost 4 years.
As far as I know he does not run Apple from the grave!
So I guess that means that some one else is dictating Apple policy!
I don't think bringing the late Steve Jobs into your argument does you any favours at all!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back