Had your iPhone 6 repaired? Be careful it could be worthless (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Or perhaps they realised that their actions were unlawful and they wouldn't win the case.

What laws exactly do you think they had broken?

Let me explain it again slowly for those of you who insist on ignoring the basic facts.

Nobody was, is, or has been prevented from carrying out third party repairs.

When replacing the touch sensor the security protocols between the sensor and the device have to be renewed. If they are not the device locks. This would be the same if the repair was carried out by Apple. The protocols are vital to maintain device security when using it for financial transactions.

The third party repairers were not renewing these security protocols for whatever reason so the device locked.

Please explain to me exactly how Apple are even to blame for that, never mind acting unlawfully?

I imagine that you will also ignore the fact that even with this software fix unlocking the device the touch ID still will not function and never will unless the protocols are renewed correctly either by Apple or a third party repairer. That will be the situation going forwards - if someone breaks their touch sensor they are free to get it replaced by a third party repairer but it won't function at all unless the protocols are renewed. If the third party repairer doesn't know how to do that it won't be Apple's problem.

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The point is that they never were preventing third party repairs. They were preventing repairs that hadn't been completed properly from impacting on the security of the device.

That, I believe, is an important distinction and I'm quite disappointed that they've backed down so easily. Public relations I suppose.

At least they've been sensible enough to leave the touch ID feature disabled with this fix so the idiots who used the back street monkeys won't be able to resurface in a few months complaining that the bodged repair has meant they've had their data stolen.

I would still never have this type of repair carried out by an unauthorised back street monkey no matter the cost and no matter the brand of device and would have to question the basic intelligence of anyone who chose to do so.
I think the US class action case might have had something to do with it Nick :). As regards security it would seem that if the FBI has to ask Apple to unlock an iPhone simply protected by a 4 digit pin anything else is purely a gimmick.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/16/us/san-bernardino-shooter-phone-apple/

Dick

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think the US class action case might have had something to do with it Nick :). As regards security it would seem that if the FBI has ask Apple to unlock an iPhone simply protected by a 4 digit pin anything else is purely a gimmick.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/16/us/san-bernardino-shooter-phone-apple/

Dick

The touch ID protocols are purely an additional level of security for financial based stuff - Apple Pay for one. Another example that people may be familiar with is the Revolut app. You have to use touch ID to unlock that.

You can still unlock your phone for normal use with the 4 digit code. When you set up a new phone you don't have to enable the touch ID if you don't want to but you won't be able to use the financial things.

I'm pleased they are standing up to the FBI on the San Bernadino case. As they say it would set a very worrying precedent if they did help. I'm also quite surprised that the nerds at Fort Meade didn't get hold of the IOS source code and have it cracked long ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The point is that they never were preventing third party repairs. They were preventing repairs that hadn't been completed properly from impacting on the security of the device.

That, I believe, is an important distinction and I'm quite disappointed that they've backed down so easily. Public relations I suppose.

At least they've been sensible enough to leave the touch ID feature disabled with this fix so the idiots who used the back street monkeys won't be able to resurface in a few months complaining that the bodged repair has meant they've had their data stolen.

I would still never have this type of repair carried out by an unauthorised back street monkey no matter the cost and no matter the brand of device and would have to question the basic intelligence of anyone who chose to do so.
My understanding wasn't they weren't making available to third party repairers the ability for them to match new components* so the security system couldn't be reinstated.

It would be like a vehicle manufacturer saying you couldn't get your vehicle repaired by anyone other than their appointed dealers, even if they used authentic parts and not just during warranty but forever and they had put something in say the ecu which detected even a bulb being changed by a "back street monkey" or even the owner and then disabling the vehicle. That is not allowed and we can thank the EU for that! An owner might choose to use a dealer but they shouldn't be forced to.

I'll largely ignore your last paragraph because if I was in the back of beyond, up the creek so to speak with a phone with a broken screen for example, which isn't a difficult thing to replace having done several, I would take it to a local shop if there was one nearby and get it repaired. And there is nothing wrong with either my intelligence or my judgement because I understand enough about the technology to make a risk assessment and make my own choice. :)

* or whatever it was that was required, I've seen the explanation but CBA to look it up again.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

I'll largely ignore your last paragraph because if I was in the back of beyond, up the creek so to speak with a phone with a broken screen for example, which isn't a difficult thing to replace having done several, I would take it to a local shop if there was one nearby and get it repaired. And there is nothing wrong with either my intelligence or my judgement because I understand enough about the technology to make a risk assessment and make my own choice. :)

And when my wife and kids are breaking their iphone screens at a rate of one
every two months, I'll be buying £35 screens and fixing them myself :)
I am that monkey
:D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My understanding wasn't they weren't making available to third party repairers the ability for them to match new components* so the security system couldn't be reinstated.

Nothing changes there. The only thing that will be different is that if you use an unauthorised repairer from now on for this particular job instead of locking completely the phone will work but the touch ID won't.

It would be like a vehicle manufacturer saying you couldn't get your vehicle repaired by anyone other than their appointed dealers, even if they used authentic parts and not just during warranty but forever and they had put something in say the ecu which detected even a bulb being changed by a "back street monkey" or even the owner and then disabling the vehicle. That is not allowed and we can thank the EU for that! An owner might choose to use a dealer but they shouldn't be forced to.

That's exactly what happens with critical repairs. An example: last year when we were burgled both sets of car keys were stolen. The insurance companies appointed their preferred repairers. The story is the same in both cases: The appointed repairer was able to change the locks but not recode the immobiliser because the manufacturers (BMW and VW in this case but I imagine they are all the same) will not make the required software available to third party repairers (with one exception which I'll get to) Both repairers had to take the cars to main dealers in order to get the recoding carried out.
So in essence you would be free to use a back street repairer but if they didn't go to the manufacturer for the recoding the vehicle is effectively disabled.

The exception that I mentioned earlier is the AA. They have a small locksmith division that have access to the required software for pretty much every manufacturer and will carry out the job on site.

Your example of changing a bulb disabling the vehicle isn't really relevant - Apple weren't disabling phones for all back street repairs, just security critical ones.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And when my wife and kids are breaking their iphone screens at a rate of one
every two months, I'll be buying £35 screens and fixing them myself :)
I am that monkey
:D

I briefly considered it for my iPhone 6 when I broke that however I rapidly established that at the time I couldn't purchase a replacement screen for less than Apple would charge me to do the entire job.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If that is the case Nick why are they frit of the class action submitted?

Dick

I imagine the bad PR isn't worth the bother and it isn't really worth wasting the money on the lawyers.

They haven't really backed down though - back street repairers still won't be able to carry out this particular repair unless they are trained and authorised to reinstate the security.

From the Grauniad article linked to earlier:

The fix will let users with disabled iPhones clear the error by connecting them to iTunes and installing the updated iOS. The update can not be applied directly to the phone via the cloud – although iPhones updated in that way were unaffected.

Solving Error 53 does not re-enable Touch ID, as a third-party replacement of the home button could potentially allow unauthorised access to a locked phone by modifying the fingerprint sensor.

Probably in hindsight the new solution would have been a better way to go all along - if someone tries to replace a sensor it just won't work unless the security is renewed. There would have been no story then.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
You have already paid for another phone as it costs apple $200 to make an iPhone 6

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If they are so wonderful why do they break screens so regularly ?

I'm not aware of any screens breaking unless they're dropped and as far as I'm aware dropping any glass screen no matter what make or size doesn't do it a great deal of good.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I'm not aware of any screens breaking unless they're dropped and as far as I'm aware dropping any glass screen no matter what make or size doesn't do it a great deal of good.
I have seen more cracked iPhone screens than intact ones! Maybe it's something to do with the owners not wanting to shroud their iPhone jewelry in nasty silicone and plastic covers ?

Reactions: DBK
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have seen more cracked iPhone screens than intact ones! Maybe it's something to do with the owners not wanting to shroud their iPhone jewelry in nasty silicone and plastic covers ?

Possibly. I have to admit that mine lives in a (leather) case all the time. I have broken a screen though - the one time it was out of the case for about 30 seconds I managed to drop it on to a tiled floor :rolleyes:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Having spent it seems half this afternoon sorting out my windows pc which decided it didn't have a DVD drive even though I was feeding it CDs I think I might be in the market for an Apple product - they do have a reputation for just working without tantrums. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
they do have a reputation for just working without tantrums

And that's pretty much it. They just work, no updates or rebooting every 38 seconds. They don't gradually slow down and you aren't harassed to install random crap you don't want.

Perhaps once or twice a year a major OS update will want a restart, other than that you can leave it switched on 24/7 and it will be quite happy.

Across all the Macs I use at home and at work I can honestly say I don't ever remember one crashing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back