Had your iPhone 6 repaired? Be careful it could be worthless (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well I'm happy enough with my 2011 macbook air. I have swapped out the 256gb for a 1TB hard drive use it everyday and still looks like new. Choice is a personal thing, I like the macbook.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
iMac , iPad Pro , iPhone 6 Plus and Apple TV here .
Brilliantly well designed products with amazing support
Game/life changing tech.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
There will always be those who decry any product because it's more expensive than something else.
The price only hurts for a short time but the pleasure of using a better product goes on. Decent quality tools are usually much nicer to use than the cheap Chinese copies.
So it is with Apple products. A total pleasure to look at, handle and use long after the price is forgotten.
Typing this on my Mac Book Pro which is the best and fastest lap top I've ever used.
Just had a quick count and I think we have 12 Apple products in the house.

Richard. (Certified Apple Fan)

And there are always those who have bought a cheaper inferior product and know that to be the case but insist on trying convince others they were clever, that theirs is just as good as your more expensive superior product and infer that you were fool enough to buy.

Take HP baked beans, compare them to cheaper Asda own brand and some will say you cannot tell the difference. Yes they are both beans in a tin wth tomato sauce, yes they are about the same size and colour. But taste them. Its the same with many products.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why would anyone think that Apple stuff is expensive? I've had my Samsung Galaxy Curve for two weeks now - my fourth Samsung smartphone none of which has required any sort of repair whatsoever.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Well, it is a free country -

PLEASE. Do Not get me started on that one, Suffice to say IMHO This country Is a "Controlled Society", where the "Media" and the P-C Brigade "Rule OK". An opinion (yours or mine) is Mindlessly "slagged off" by the Chattering classes, the left, or right, wing call them what you wish, Regardless THEY are totally intolerant of anything not conforming to their perceived ideology.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Microsoft simply cannot or will not produce a stable or powerful enough OS to handle real graphics software

Now on that Point I would agree with you, But I am afraid it is somewhat a niche market.
And whilst I use M-Soft and P-C`s It only because they are "Value for money" FOR WHAT I DO. same as you?

Pete

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
PLEASE. Do Not get me started on that one, Suffice to say IMHO This country Is a "Controlled Society", where the "Media" and the P-C Brigade "Rule OK". An opinion (yours or mine) is Mindlessly "slagged off" by the Chattering classes, the left, or right, wing call them what you wish, Regardless THEY are totally intolerant of anything not conforming to their perceived ideology.

Pete
(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's impossible to argue with.

The fingerprint sensor is used to validate a lot of sensitive information - things like app store and iTunes purchases, Apple Pay transactions, even third party apps like Revolut use it for validation.

How can anyone other than an authorised Apple repairer possibly guarantee that they can replicate the security correctly? It isn't just a plug and play component like a battery or a screen.

If protection like this wasn't in place and someone had their card data lifted as a result of a cowboy repair not being secure the same people having a pop at Apple now for putting security in place would be blaming them for allowing the device to be insecure :rolleyes:
And, of course, this happens every day to the vast nber of manufacturers who DONT put any protection/security in place.

Apple are FORCING their customers to use the official repairers ny the back door.

No more to say on the subject.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And, of course, this happens every day to the vast nber of manufacturers who DONT put any protection/security in place.

Apple are FORCING their customers to use the official repairers ny the back door.

No more to say on the subject.

I'm not aware of any other phone manufacturers using fingerprint technology as a key security feature?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And you know where your files are stored, ask someone with an iPad or iPhone to show you their file structure and where the files are stored, they won't have a clue.:D

I can show you if you want. It's not that complicated (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Take HP baked beans, compare them to cheaper Asda own brand

The Aldi ones, Taste pretty good to me and the labels show the same ingredients?.

BTW. In a blind testing by Which (I think) some years back, a very big selection of "own Brand" goods came out top for "taste", and I believe there is a more recent case carried out by the "Money Saving Expert" site?.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Why would anyone want to store sensitive data on someone elses server on the other side of the world, must be nuts.
I like to be in control of my own data.

Too True. It`s bad enough, the (Totally unnecessary) stuff that is "Required" in order to make a one off on-line purchase, without putting even more of your data on a machine controlled by control freaks!. Better a secure "Raid" unit?.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The Aldi ones, Taste pretty good to me and the labels show the same ingredients?.

BTW. In a blind testing by Which (I think) some years back, a very big selection of "own Brand" goods came out top for "taste", and I believe there is a more recent case carried out by the "Money Saving Expert" site?.
iPhones to baked beans in 72 easy stages...... I just knew it would turn into a gassing thread sooner or later...;)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm not aware of any other phone manufacturers using fingerprint technology as a key security feature?

Plenty of new android phones have finger print scanner locks. My OPO2 did and nexus 6P I'm considering has as well....

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Plenty of new android phones have finger print scanner locks. My OPO2 did and nexus 6P I'm considering has as well....

Same question. Do those manufacturers continue to support the device if you have cowboy backstreet repairs carried out?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Same question. Do those manufacturers continue to support the device if you have cowboy backstreet repairs carried out?
Why would you do that with a new, newish phone. I would get an in or out of warranty repair

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I can show you if you want. It's not that complicated

I wouldn't mind knowing, out of pure curiosity.?

I have tried, but seem I am missing something (I-Pad Mini, used as a Kindle Mostly).

Pete

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Perhaps a bad example but the point I was making is that cheaper imitations are frequently inferior to the real thing, in my experience anyway. surimi are not anywhere near as good as freshly cooked prawns. ☕️Cheap instant coffee cannot be compared to freshly brewed beans. They can both be consumed as food and drink but the difference is very noticeable. I suppose it comes down to personal preference.as I said some will say they cannot tell the difference. That's fine if they are happy. Others can tell the difference and would not be so happy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The boss has an ipad I've yet to find a files manager that will show all the files on it, given up just get used as an expensive web browser would never by another one.

I wouldn't mind knowing, out of pure curiosity.?

I have tried, but seem I am missing something (I-Pad Mini, used as a Kindle Mostly).

Pete

Plug it in to your computer. Wait for iTunes to pop up and then close it. You need to make sure it's properly quit, force quit it if necessary. The phone will then show as a drive in Explorer or Finder depending whether you're using a PC or a Mac. You will be able to find all your content. You won't be able to see system files but there's no possible reason why you would want to. They're in a different format and you wouldn't be able to open them anyway unless you're using Xcode in which case you would already know how to do it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Plug it in to your computer. Wait for iTunes to pop up and then close it. You need to make sure it's properly quit, force quit it if necessary. The phone will then show as a drive in Explorer or Finder depending whether you're using a PC or a Mac. You will be able to find all your content. You won't be able to see system files but there's no possible reason why you would want to. They're in a different format and you wouldn't be able to open them anyway unless you're using Xcode in which case you would already know how to do it.
Exactly, you can't see the file system, I don't want to use crappy iTunes just want to see the files on the device like I can on my PC's & Android devices.
You need to see the file system so you can choose where you want to store your files.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Exactly, you can't see the file system, I don't want to use crappy iTunes just want to see the files on the device like I can on my PC's & Android devices.
You need to see the file system so you can choose where you want to store your files.

You can see the parts of the file system you can access. Why would you want to be able to see files that you can't open, access or touch in any way. They're hidden to protect them from the type of compulsive meddler that would move or delete system files and then complain it was Apples fault when they render their device useless.

Why would you want to store content files anywhere other than where the relevant app to open them will look for them? You want all apps rewritten to include a full file explorer? I don't think many Android ones do that.

This is typical of the anti Apple mob. You're complaining that it won't do something that it doesn't need to do and would be a completely useless feature if it was available.

You may as well say you won't have one because it won't make espresso. It's no different for digging for something completely irrelevant and using that as an excuse.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
But that's exactly what these idiots with broken iPhones are doing and you're all having a pop at Apple over it.
Actually they're not, a number of the phones bricked were out of warranty, it was the upgrade to the OS that caused the problem. I expect a number of class actions will follow.

On a similar note and mentioned in the original link, if you were somewhere without an Apple service centre (like @Jim) you cannot get your phone repaired until you return to civilisation. Now if it's still in warranty you might not want to get an unauthorised repair, but if it's out of warranty, you get it fixed it works fine until you install the latest update - this is where the claims will come from.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Actually they're not, a number of the phones bricked were out of warranty, it was the upgrade to the OS that caused the problem. I expect a number of class actions will follow.

On a similar note and mentioned in the original link, if you were somewhere without an Apple service centre (like @Jim) you cannot get your phone repaired until you return to civilisation. Now if it's still in warranty you might not want to get an unauthorised repair, but if it's out of warranty, you get it fixed it works fine until you install the latest update - this is where the claims will come from.

It's only the iPhone 6 and 6s. None of the others have the fingerprint scanner. None of them can be that far out of warranty.
Apple's defence to any action is simple: the (unauthorised) repair was carried out incorrectly as the security pairing wasn't carried out and that has ruined the phone. They can't be held responsible for the fact the the cowboy repairers don't know what they're doing. Case closed.

Actually you don't need to be anywhere near an Apple store or an approved repairer. As long as you can receive post they will send you some appropriate packing and you can send it to them to be done. I don't know for sure because I've never done it but I seem to remember reading that they even pay the postage.

Broken Link Removed

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Perhaps Apple should simply state that ay repairs by unauthorised people invalidate warranty and that they will not take any repsonsibility for security of data to the functioning of the phone. People then an choose what they like.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
To be fair to Apple, they are no worse than Microsoft. Both are the "brain child" of compulsive control freaks!. eg:- Currently M-S are threatening to force downloads onto P-C`s and compel update to Windows 10!. (unless you are savvy enough to avoid it!).

I am "old school" having "played" with computers, since my first "comdore64" in the 80`s!. I don`t profess to be able to dig too deep. but it fascinates me. (and if /when I get stuck my youngest is the senior network security analyst for a large corp;). And I like to be able to see what is (being) loaded onto my device. The option to control that is (has) been eroded in recent times. I have several times (had to) "reset" my downloads (updates) to "advise me". and not "automatic"!!.

As for "repairs". yes I can see that during the "warranty" period it would be desirable to control the quality (even if that IS dubious). But for the (inflated) money you pay for a device that is more a hyped "fashion accessory" with features that few (can) use (Properly).? I rather think I will stick with what I have (Motorola) which does everything I want for a fraction of the cost of the I-Phone. BTW, I did purchase an I-Pad mini, via a very special offer (Wallmart) and a $50 dollar voucher I got for the previous Xmas!. It`s OK. but to be fair it really only does duty as a "kindle" reader, and browsing when I am too lazy to fire up the laptop. The size of the screen is really (like Smartphones too) to small for those of us with "elderly" eyes!.

The comments made earlier ref; Quality of tools. I would agree with to an extent. When I was "on the bench" as a Young man. I had many quality tools that 50 years on are still in good working order. However, for the work they get I find that a lot of the "cheap" stuff does an adequate job, for a fraction of the cost of the kit I would go for if I was still using tools day in day out. Another example of "horses for courses".

pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back