Had your iPhone 6 repaired? Be careful it could be worthless (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Again, that isnt the point.
Apple are disabling phones which are not under warranty and do not belong to them by providing a software/os update which checks for unofficial repairs....regardless of if its under warranty or not.
If you rented the phone from apple then that would be a differemt matter....but you dont.
...... Never been a fan of jailbroken phones, which is what these effectively are. It is a free country and you are more than welcome to buy, use, repair in the back street some (not so) cheapo phone, but my iPhone has outlasted two not cheap LG android phones and I'm confident that it will work well into the future. There is nothing wrong with using an authorised repairer, which will not be expensive from what I read (see above re screen replacement) even when out of warranty. Use a back street repairer at your own risk......

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had a 5 year old Mac Book battery expand on me making a slight curve in the case. I was prepared for a fight but didn't need to. They swapped everything out without a quibble.

I think as they become more popular though they are dropping in quality control. I have a 2014 macbook pro becoming unuseable because a coating coming off the screen I also have an iphone 6 that has a hardware focus problem. Both known problems, both will be repaired FOC when we get home but disappointing nonetheless. Meanwhile my workaday macbook had to be re-booted again the otherday. 2 reboots in a year. Read it and weep Windoze luvvers :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We have owned very many Apple products over this decade and have yet touch wood to experience a fault. This is why I keep replacing my old apple for a new one. No brainer.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
SONY are a culprit in the 'dont want to know' gang....on a par with fiats juddergate.

The sony aqua 4 has a known battery problem in it overheats dramatically to the point of being too hot to touch when on charge and discharging in a few hours instead of the officially stated two days.
Shirl returned hers to carphone warehouse twice in three days, getting a replacement the first visit and being told it will have to be repaired on the second visit, the manager said sony where aware of the fault but hadnt found a fix and repair was the only option...the phone was four days old.
She demanded, and got, a refund.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Horrid company.

JJ :cool:

Great products though.

Forget phones and tablets.

I couldn't do my job without using Macs.

Microsoft simply cannot or will not produce a stable or powerful enough OS to handle real graphics software.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Don't bother with apple care, you can just rely on them to repair, and sometimes replace.
Mine was replaced with a factory refurb, just like new, box and all, after a mishap, and the charge?

ZERO, just went to an Apple shop, had no phone for a week, it was heaven.

Why pay for care plan when you get this service anyway, or was I lucky?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
There will always be those who decry any product because it's more expensive than something else.
The price only hurts for a short time but the pleasure of using a better product goes on. Decent quality tools are usually much nicer to use than the cheap Chinese copies.
So it is with Apple products. A total pleasure to look at, handle and use long after the price is forgotten.
Typing this on my Mac Book Pro which is the best and fastest lap top I've ever used.
Just had a quick count and I think we have 12 Apple products in the house.

Richard. (Certified Apple Fan)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
There will always be those who decry any product because it's more expensive than something else.
The price only hurts for a short time but the pleasure of using a better product goes on. Decent quality tools are usually much nicer to use than the cheap Chinese copies.
So it is with Apple products. A total pleasure to look at, handle and use long after the price is forgotten.
Typing this on my Mac Book Pro which is the best and fastest lap top I've ever used.
Just had a quick count and I think we have 12 Apple products in the house.

Richard. (Certified Apple Fan)

There are also those who compare mules to race horses but I've never seem muffin jump over Beechers brook . ;)(y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm not an apple fan at all. I fact I use an ipad air as a permenant tv in the bedroom in the van. But they do make a nice product and have to be admired as a company.
But the comparison with car manufacturers not able to force you to use them for servicing or repairs holds water with me.
I do like apples answer regarding the fingerprint sensor security though.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I do like apples answer regarding the fingerprint sensor security though.

It's impossible to argue with.

The fingerprint sensor is used to validate a lot of sensitive information - things like app store and iTunes purchases, Apple Pay transactions, even third party apps like Revolut use it for validation.

How can anyone other than an authorised Apple repairer possibly guarantee that they can replicate the security correctly? It isn't just a plug and play component like a battery or a screen.

If protection like this wasn't in place and someone had their card data lifted as a result of a cowboy repair not being secure the same people having a pop at Apple now for putting security in place would be blaming them for allowing the device to be insecure :rolleyes:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If you pay that much money for an IPhone, why would you not spend a reasonable fee to get it repaired by an authorised repairer but go to a back street cowboy. I read the article in the Torygraph and as above, can't fault their logic. Yes, it is a bit controlling, but the demographic profile of most Apple users won't have an issue with their security being taken seriously. Same applies to jailbroken phones and the control over the products in the App Store. Just look at the insecure stuff you can stick on an Android phone....

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Absolute Luddite tosh ! Apple products are superb and their customer support is outstanding .
Wake up Grandad its 2016 !
Lol .. true
But .. Although I like and respect apple stuff it's not for me because of its restrictions and controlling nature in 2016.
Each to their own I spose

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Although I like and respect apple stuff it's not for me because of its restrictions and controlling nature in 2016.

I've never understood where this idea comes from.

There is nothing that I want to do that I've been unable to do with Apple devices.

It's no harder for someone to develop their own IOS apps than apps for any other platform and if the testing before they get into the app store is harder then as far as I'm concerned that's a good thing.

How exactly is Apple restricting me or controlling me? What are they preventing me from doing that I want to be able to do?

I think it's one of those anti Apple myths - it sounds good but it's completely vague and has no substance.

PS. Don't bother posting the video of techie stuff that Android devices are capable of. I've seen it before and there's not one single thing in it that I have the slightest interest in doing. I actually think that most of the people who hold it up as evidence of Apple's controlling nature don't have the slightest understanding of what all this stuff they are being "restricted" from doing actually means let alone wanting to do any of it.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's not worth spending time trying to convince anyone to buy Apple. Those who use them are happy thats all that counts.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Well. I prefer android mostly because it allows me to store more files.. integrates as a drive with a pc without being forced to install software and allows me to choose the design of phone I want.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well. I prefer android mostly because it allows me to store more files.. integrates as a drive with a pc without being forced to install software and allows me to choose the design of phone I want.
And you know where your files are stored, ask someone with an iPad or iPhone to show you their file structure and where the files are stored, they won't have a clue.:D

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
And you know where your files are stored, ask someone with an iPad or iPhone to show you their file structure and where the files are stored, they won't have a clue.:D
I so wish someone would hurry up and invent The Cloud .............. O hold on (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I so wish someone would hurry up and invent The Cloud .............. O hold on (y)
Why would anyone want to store sensitive data on someone elses server on the other side of the world, must be nuts.
I like to be in control of my own data.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Why would anyone want to store sensitive data on someone elses server on the other side of the world, must be nuts.
I like to be in control of my own data.

Another CIA operative with a motorhome! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back