had to have a look - transformer (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Well I had to have a look in side the lid... well I did not as I cannot stand long enough to have a nose... but a friend had his 15 year old take the camera and snap away at the wiring, plugs and transform under the cupboard... boy there is some wires. no bunted bits and when he put my meter on it we have 230v and 120v .... and the trip has not gone again.. but still no 230v to any plugs and the Sterling works on 120v/110v but will not allow me to use the inverter with the batteries .. just battery charging side.

Anyway... off to see the expert:thumb: on Thursday ... Eddie at VanBitz... so I am hopeful that if I buy the bacon sandwiches he will get the boys to see if they can sort it so we can go to Newbury.. which is in doubt if we cannot get some mains working as we need to recharge the scooters.. Anyway fingers crossed.

Bob:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i wonder if it could be a loose neutral connector somewhere that has been connecting / not intermittently as this would also answer why you have no 230v elsewhere as its currently not connecting.

maybe borrow the small child again and get him to wiggle some of the connections and see if it trips again.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
he has wiggled a lot today

i wonder if it could be a loose neutral connector somewhere that has been connecting / not intermittently as this would also answer why you have no 230v elsewhere as its currently not connecting.

maybe borrow the small child again and get him to wiggle some of the connections and see if it trips again.

I had him wiggle lots of wires and push lots of connectors on harder...... I took the plug down that Sue had put the hoover in .. and checked the wires to make sure nothing was loose.. The area where the transformer looks a nightmare.. but can locate the RCD plugs and trace the wires back to the transformer - took the lid off and put the multimeter on the top connections and there is 230v to one and 120v to the other so there is power in OK and the transformer hums as normal.. the 110/120v side works fine on the appliances but it just seems to end at the RCD switch which is not closing now.. but still no power the the plugs... Plus the sterling seems to be OK according to the fault charts.. and if I connect mains and disconnect it switches from charge mode to Inverter.. but no power goes from the batteries to the 230v sockets. Baffled. But I am hopeful that Eddie at VanBitz will apply his extensive knowledge to the issue on Thursday and get me back on the road.

Puts Newbury in doubt for us as no 230v no charge on the scooters and that means we are unable to do anything...

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Failed RCD in the fuse box.

if all incoming and outgoing wires are tight and secure and 230v is getting to the RCD but nothing coming of it then theres no doubt !

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
failed RCD

Failed RCD in the fuse box.

if all incoming and outgoing wires are tight and secure and 230v is getting to the RCD but nothing coming of it then theres no doubt !

Funny my thoughts as well.. I am not an electrician .. but given that there is power flowing to the transformer and the next place it can go is the RCD ... which is a stand alone type I was wondering myself if the unit was iffy... it is now open and staying open but no power to the sockets... may well be worth thinking about that.. may get one and take it with me to VanBitz in case they do not have one ... we have a screwfix round the corner...

But thank you John for thinking about it.

Bob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the internal contacts are burnt they may still close as they should but are held 'open' by any deposits burnt to them.

you will need the make and size (amps)...... or remove it (after disconnecting the hookup AND inverter of course) and take as a pattern if you can

usually two screws at the top for the input live and neutral wires and two screws at the bottom for the outputs.....live to the brass busbar and neutral to the neutral bar

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hubby says can you swap an RCD from another circuit. If none available, pull faulty one out and test it with the meter set to ohms. Measure the toggle switch on and off. If the meter doesn't move, its open circuit and needs replacing, or you may be able to open the case and sand paper the contacts. If rcd wont reset mechanically, then there is an electrical fault. Take duff one to B&Q or Maplins as a copy.
Mary & John.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is a stand alone unit

Hubby says can you swap an RCD from another circuit. If none available, pull faulty one out and test it with the meter set to ohms. Measure the toggle switch on and off. If the meter doesn't move, its open circuit and needs replacing, or you may be able to open the case and sand paper the contacts. If rcd wont reset mechanically, then there is an electrical fault. Take duff one to B&Q or Maplins as a copy.
Mary & John.

Hi Mary and John

P.M. noted thanks... this is a single stand alone RCD unit.. in it's own box in the area of the massive wiring complex... first it would trip if the mains was connected now it sets and does not trip... but there is no power to the 230 sockets...

I am going to VanBitz on Thursday for some alarm work and Eddie has said he will get his boys to have a look... I am going to get Sue to take a photo tomorrow so I can get the details to match it with another if need be... I need to check the power of the RCD ... like for like.. plenty of room to mount a replacement. ...

Thanks for the help.
Bob

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
is the transformer not powered from the RCD in the van then?

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
I had him wiggle lots of wires and push lots of connectors on harder...... I took the plug down that Sue had put the hoover in .. and checked the wires to make sure nothing was loose.. The area where the transformer looks a nightmare.. but can locate the RCD plugs and trace the wires back to the transformer - took the lid off and put the multimeter on the top connections and there is 230v to one and 120v to the other so there is power in OK and the transformer hums as normal.. the 110/120v side works fine on the appliances but it just seems to end at the RCD switch which is not closing now.. but still no power the the plugs... Plus the sterling seems to be OK according to the fault charts.. and if I connect mains and disconnect it switches from charge mode to Inverter.. but no power goes from the batteries to the 230v sockets. Baffled. But I am hopeful that Eddie at VanBitz will apply his extensive knowledge to the issue on Thursday and get me back on the road.

Puts Newbury in doubt for us as no 230v no charge on the scooters and that means we are unable to do anything...

Bob
hi bob, come an talk to me nx time we are at a meet , i got a gismo fitted si dont even use my genny to charge my chair and i dont need ehu. i jus do it as normal overnite or when i,m driving......:Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
hi bob, come an talk to me nx time we are at a meet , i got a gismo fitted si dont even use my genny to charge my chair and i dont need ehu. i jus do it as normal overnite or when i,m driving......:Smile:

Smudger's Back ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Not seen you on in ages. How are you?

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Gismo

Can you tell us more about the gismo please?

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it looks as if it is after the transformer

is the transformer not powered from the RCD in the van then?

The RCD is after the transformer as the 110v is working fine and the 230v are at the transformer OK as it is stepping down fine... the RCD is after the transformer ... there is an additional RCD that if that is switched off kills the transformer ... plus of course there is one that shuts down the 12v side as well.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Hi Derek

Hi Derek,

I take it the gismo is a 12v step up to 24v ... as I am sure your power chair is like mine in that it uses 24a batteries (mine power chair has that and also both the scooters).

Your Winnie has a much bigger power bank than mine (200 amps total) so I would need a big unit to get the 8 amps I need for one scooter and 5 amps for the other...

But yes I will have nose if I may... thanks for the invite to see.

Missed your posts Derek.

Regards

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Thank you John ...AKA I am AMA

Thank you John

for spending so long this morning explaining how the electrics work and providing me with valuable insight to the way the RCD works and how to test.. much appreciated.... Very nice to chat to some one that knows what he is tasking about and can explain it so I can understand the issues.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Will call you after I have been to VANBITZ on Thursday to let you know how I get on with Eddie and his boys having a look.

Look forward to meeting you at Newbury... seems yet another Cobb owner.. can see some great cookouts if the weather allows.

Bob:thumb:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
vb

We are going down to golden cap late on thursday for the weekend, if you are there we could pop in on the way.
Clive.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I hope for a fast turn around Clive

We are going down to golden cap late on thursday for the weekend, if you are there we could pop in on the way.
Clive.

I am hoping for a fast turn around clive as the dog is at home and we have a couple of people coming in to let her out and feed her... I have to be at VanBitz for 10 a.m. ... although I all be there earlier as we have to leave home early to dodge the traffic on the M25, M3 and the A303 .... It all depends how long it takes Eddie and his chaps to see what is causing this issue which sounds like an earth problem.

But as soon as they have done the work we head back home.

Regards

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back