Had some lovely tits on me fat balls this afternoon! (1 Viewer)

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Tits like coconuts, apparently, if you believe Wogan.

After the Sparrows have had their fill we get the lone Wagtail clearing up. Sorry about the image, must ditch this phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Here's an unusual bird on our bird feeder (taken in December) sorry about the fuzzy photos, it was taken through the van window.View attachment 53807View attachment 53808
Eek - ...........is.......that........a..........rat.........:eek::eek::eek:

Apologies if not :blush: probably just me seeing them everywhere as we have them in the garden at the mo:crying: I'm just going on the tail and I know you're abroad

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

That's what I thought as well Debs.

Shhhhhhh but we use poison for them. Can't stand the nasty dirty verminous things.

Next door (animal rights people) had one in their kitchen and didn't know what it was. When I told them it was a rat I was told it couldn't be as it was such a sweet little thing. They went on holiday and left us their keys (as usual) - the rat was gone to the run in the sky when they got back :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
That's what I thought as well Debs.

Shhhhhhh but we use poison for them. Can't stand the nasty dirty verminous things.

Next door (animal rights people) had one in their kitchen and didn't know what it was. When I told them it was a rat I was told it couldn't be as it was such a sweet little thing. They went on holiday and left us their keys (as usual) - the rat was gone to the run in the sky when they got back :)
We had them about 8/9 years ago and the council put poison down several times. Flipping things ignored it but the poor mice that we always seem to have loved it. Problem was we had lots of mice staggering about the garden and the dogs went after them :(
This one is more wily but the dogs flushed it out the other night as Les heard it fall into the pond and saw it run across the back into the field. I can't stand the things :swear2:
Wonder what your neighbours thought when they came back:whistle2:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Apologies if not :blush: probably just me seeing them everywhere as we have them in the garden at the mo:crying: I'm just going on the tail and I know you're abroad
Yep it was a rat. That was taken on a British campsite before we started travelling. I think we inadvertently encourage it by putting bird feeders out on our pitch.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Apologies to Dave for hijacking his thread.

Ok, can you identify this. I will tell you it was blown off course and should not have been at Spurn Point twitchers were coming from all over the country to see it and it was that close they could not get their mega camera lenses to focus so were using mobile phones, it had no fear of humans or cats and after 3 days the cat was licking its chops.
P1060204.jpg
P1060271.jpg

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

Ok, can you identify this. I will tell you it was blown off course and should not have been at Spurn Point twitchers were coming from all over the country to see it and it was that close they could not get their mega camera lenses to focus so were using mobile phones, it had no fear of humans or cats and after 3 days the cat was licking its chops.View attachment 53842View attachment 53843

It looks like a can of Strongbow to me, not Woodpecker.

John.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58 close but no cigar, think twitchers from all over UK has to be rarer than that,

Quick Quick, we have a ferry to catch today.

I didn't read the full comment, just looked at the photos, pretty much the norm for me

Post without reading fully :D

But I have peaked at snipe, I guess it might be part of the snipe family, but that is the extent of my twitching, need some higher level knowledge @Bertie Bassett any ideas BB

edit - it might help if I repeated what we are talking about

p1060204-jpg.53842

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Ok, can you identify this. I will tell you it was blown off course and should not have been at Spurn Point twitchers were coming from all over the country to see it and it was that close they could not get their mega camera lenses to focus so were using mobile phones, it had no fear of humans or cats and after 3 days the cat was licking its chops.View attachment 53842View attachment 53843

5% ABV Snipe dicky bird :rolleyes:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OK about to leave the house so will tell you.

Great Snipe I said close @DavidG58 only about two sightings a year so we were told by all the very excited birders, only one now as I said the cat got it about its third day.

Might keep in touch from the road but dont expect a blog as good as Davids trip to the far North.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I didn't read the full comment, just looked at the photos, pretty much the norm for me

Post without reading fully :D

But I have peaked at snipe, I guess it might be part of the snipe family, but that is the extent of my twitching, need some higher level knowledge @Bertie Bassett any ideas BB

edit - it might help if I repeated what we are talking about

p1060204-jpg.53842

Interesting, and thanks for the heads up David and I would have gone for Snipe too. I've only ever seen Great in Norway and Cyprus and without seeing the tail feathers in flight as the birds were coming in to rest I wouldn't have known then either.:eek: It's a bugger being a birder!:D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We have feeders in front and back gardens and get plenty of birds on them but there must be plenty of natural food - or other feeders in neighbouring gardens - at the moment as the levels aren't going down as quickly as I would expect.

Nice photo of the bullfinch. Every time I try to get one on our feeder he flies off :)

That's the same every where Graham as your 'usual local' birds are displaced by the colder weather, the birds you see on your feeders over the next few weeks will almost certainly have come from Scandinavia or Northern Germany. (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We live less than 1/2 mile from the town and the only birds we get are quite a few Magpies and a couple of wood pigeons. I've put numerous fat balls up which go black and disintegrate, Dried mealworms and bird seed feeders which go mouldy, I've also hung a nest box but we get ZILCH, but go into the town and you see the odd wagtail or sparrow. This morning I saw a pair of blackbirds routing on our front lawn so I've been out and put some mealworms on the lawn and in the borders as I know blackbirds are ground feeders don't know what else I can do.

John.

It takes time for birds to (a) locate (b) trust a new feed site. From your description of the food waste you are sustaining you have given it a fair crack but there are birds there somewhere. I had the same problem in the garden when stationed in that cultural and bird desert that is the Home (allegedly) of the British Army. It took over a year ( and a water pistol on next doors cat) before they started feeding. The second winter they nearly bankrupted us.:)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Ok ok, is anyone gonna ask what they are? :rolleyes:

Had I been on here 58 I would have given it a go and I'd have been wrong!:cry: Strange because I saw them in Belize.
Thank the sky pixie I didn't make an arse of my Birding credentials:D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
This one was thirsty, I told him to avoid the yellow snow.

View attachment 53799

Brilliant pic, thanks and a brilliant bird now making a bit of a come back. If he was there the female wasn't far away, she's beautiful too if a little too brown. Sorry Laydees!:D

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We've had all sorts on the feeders at work, blackbirds, pigeons, magpies, great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits, robins, lots of sparrows and even a couple of woodpeckers last year. We regularly have up to six buzzards soaring overhead too.

D.
Can't compete with woodpeckers but I get coal tits and goldfinches, and we have 2 red kites on our estate - they have great battles with the crows...

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi,
although I love watching birds in the garden, I'm no expert. Could someone help me identify what bird this is please - all I know when I snapped the photo was it was hoofing big, really high and bloody noisy.

Many Thanks,

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
Our lovely Woody, comes every day, taken with old Canon power shot s1is on zoom x10
Our Woody.JPG

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We used to get Mr & mrs Percy visiting.
sheets are to stop him attacking car when he spots his " rivals"
reflection.:(