Had our first trip. But where next?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Simon, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

We decided on the New Forest as my wife has always wanted to go there... and now we can't wait to go back!

The drive from East Kent was about 180 miles and was pleasant and without incident, other than the usual slight panic at huge unfamiliar roundabouts.

We had three nights at Holmsley and then three more at Long Meadow. Both sites had some very good points and some minor downsides but on the whole it was a really lovely first trip and we're looking forward to going off somewhere else.

Therein lies the problem: where do we go?

As I mentioned, we're in East Kent; we can only go in so many directions and everywhere nice seems very far away. We're kind-of looking at Devon and Cornwall next year, and maybe the Cotswolds sometime in the spring, but because we haven't travelled much before we don't really know where we would want to spend the time.

We like walking with the dogs along the coast here, and we all loved the forest, so could I possibly have some suggestions of must-visit places in southern England that we haven't thought of yet?

2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

If you're a member of the Caravan and Camping Club, they organise lots of Temporary holiday sites. You pay per unit, not per person and there is just fresh water, toilet emptying point and waste water disposal. Occasionally you
    L get one that has access to showers, laundry ( as I did in North Wales)

I can recommend the Temp Hol Site in a Lymington - walking distance to the town and the Isle of Wight ferry.
    Ditto Burton Bradstock in Dorset. Chocolate box village, 5 mins walk to beach. Half hour walk along beach to West Bay.

Lots of sites in Devon, both north and south. It's October 1 st tomorrow so dogs can go on all the beaches--- yipeeeee--- in summer allowed on just a few in this area.

If you want to venture to Wales I can highly recommend Cwmcuttan, very pretty site.
    Bedgellert is a forest site that's also good. Portmadoc beach is stunning.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cranky

cranky Funster

www.ukcampsite.co.uk if you are not already using it. loads in Kent, Sussex and everywhere else for that matter.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Blimey! - if I lived that near to the Channel Tunnel I'd be going to France every other weekend. Is there a reason why you're not considering France?

• Like Like x 3
  5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Seeing that you live in Ramsgate-I'd be over to France PDQ (y)

Beat me to it by seconds Dude lol

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Thirded............. is that a word? it is now ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

There's always the isle of Wight! , if you are in the caravan club , I think they do ferry inclusive 4/5 day breaks quite reasonable ,if not contact Whitefield Forest site on the island , nice site similar to new forest sites but with a new toilet block , site is half a mile walk from tesco's and no more than 20 miles from anything else on the island.
    Terry

8. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

We hadn't thought seriously about going to France yet. Probably because we know less about camping in France then we do about camping in England! I shall have to look into it more but we're lugging two elderly Yorkies around with us, for the near future at least, and the necessary vaccinations etc. put me off. It seems a bit cruel at their time of life :)

9. calion

calion

What about East Anglia?

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

11. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

How long can you get away for? The South Downs are nice but we hate the M25 on Friday Sunday afternoons so tend to go north to the Peaks. East Anglia has been a family destination of ours for years.

12. Kevinthecat

Kevinthecat Funster

If your still learning (when do we stop) why not try some local sites , Canterbury , Brighton , Dale acres.
    When we go local in the van sometimes it feels that we are a million miles away from home . Its just great to be away . Whatever you do , enjoy yourselves . Also if you do need advice , people generally fall over themselves to help on sites.
    Don't forget to wave now, while out and about :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

some nice costal walks along the suffolk coast aldeburg and south wold have sites almost on the front
    mersea island is a little closer several sites there then theres burnham and southminster all within reach for a weekend for you
    theres lots of sites in kent as well whitstable along to sheppywe find it doesnt matter to much where the site is weve been known to go 6 miles away for a couple of nights its just being away from home in the van that matters to us other wise the days can mould into one

• Like Like x 1
  14. scousebird

scousebird Funster

There are lots of local weekend rallies too, organised by East Kent DA, West Kent DA and the Kent section of the Motor Caravan Section, we do lots of them as it gets us out most weekends

we also rally with the Caravan Club centres i.e. East Kent, West Kent and South London

So between all of the above we are out most weekends and are still getting to parts of the south east that we've never been to before.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Orkney stunning up there....

16. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

That's not a bad idea at all. Thanks.

17. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

:) And only 800 miles away.

18. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

I know what you mean; our weekends involved driving around Thanet looking for things we hadn't seen before we got the van! Thanks for the suggestions.

19. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

But ull love it Simon maybe a trip for the future

• Like Like x 1
  20. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

We were waved at many times on the way to the New Forest, which was unexpected and nice. Caravanners didn't seem to though. Do we not talk to them? ;)

We seem to be driving around the local area a lot more and finding places we'd never been to before. The Kent Walks app helps a lot there. Kinsgdown, Deal a couple of days ago, which was nice, then we headed toward Canterbury via Wingham. Of course, because we like a bit of countryside, I took the country route forgetting the van is 7' 6" ish wide. This is something I do quite often and then I find every way I want to go is blocked by signs saying nothing over six foot six wide. This, as everyone probably knows, is buttock-clenching territory as you brush along the hedges and trees on both sides, praying that nothing comes toward you. Just 20 miles away from home and we felt like Victorian explorers!

I decided against following the sat-nav's advice telling me to go down a steep hill into a road that looked no more than three feet wide and we eventually made it to civilization: M&S Food in Sturry, for a much needed sarnie, crabstick, flapjack and apple juice (don't ask). We then headed off to Herne Bay, but a part we'd never been to before (Swalecliff), thanks to the local council telling me about a new car park with extra-large spaces after I whinged about the lack of motorhome parking in Herne Bay. Quieter than Herne Bay but really nice for walking the dogs.

We're finding that having to find somewhere large to park is opening up the area to us even more and making us look at the local area more carefully. We've become aware that we are lucky enough to live where many people want to travel to in their motorhomes so it seems only right that we explore it properly and enjoy it, even though it's always been there.