Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
One of the most useful things I get out of this site is information on places to go and stay - and you can do that in a caravan as well as a MH. So please tell us where you go in your engineless motorhome, no where is too small or to close or far away - CLs, laybys, car parks, in this country or in places further afield. I doubt Jim will be upset if we gradually gather tugging members - if that doesn't sound too rude.

Some of the finest 'most upstanding members' are former Tuggers DBk............take Tootles for example.............errrr, maybe not.:D

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We caravanned for 15 years previously . Loved the van. No shower, no air con, no oven, no microwave, no fixed bed, no water tanks, no heating. Therefore not much to breakdown either. It was a joy and a way of life we were very comfortable with. Times and needs change, but we are happier on CLs than 'real' sites and I can't see that changing. As for planning...it's a given when one of you is disabled and cannot walk. Whatever you do. An aqua roll was how we had water and we always left enough in it to stop for a tea break, and to put the kettle on when we first arrived at the CL. We caravanned in snow, rain, gales the lot. We were out from March to December and mainly in the UK. If it's cold we have our two furry walking teddybears to cuddle ( see avatar) ! There is no rush and we are happy looking at all options. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi Cat,

The price you have been given seems to be way over the top to me. I am sure (in fact I know for certain) that you would be able to have a motorhome built for you to your exact requirements on a new base for less rather than have an existing outfit adapted.

However this does not solve your problem of transport if your site is some way from where you need to be. I know many people have toads (cars they tow behind the motorhome) and others hire a car once on site.

There are problems and solutions and alternatives.

Whatever you decide I wish you all the best.

To answer your previous questions:

Chuggers = motorhomers (they chug along)
Tuggers = caravaners (they tug a tin shed behind them)

And OF COURSE you are more than welcome (chugger or tugger) and we hope to meet you in person some time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The 97k is the quote we received from Coachbuilt GB to make a Kon Tiki 649 wheelchair accessible. Steve refuses to entertain the idea of a used Motorhome mainly because of the engine. He wants the reliability of new. I think this is the PTSD talking as he does find unexpected 'problems' causes him a lot of stress. He used to be able to handle anything life threw at him. He wants adventure with as much peace of mind as possible. As for two hours to set up a caravan...really? What on earth were you doing.? Surely everything has to be put away in a Motorhome when you just want to go to the shops? We are giving ourselves plenty of time to investigate different options. Look at the possible problems, see if they can be solved and if not, then Cape Town here we come.....which still has a pull and we have lived there. Also have good friends there.

Whatever your decision Cat, we wish you well. Life's for living to the full and our generation is luckier than those that preceded us and possibly for those that are following us. Good luck.(y)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
it's your choice and no one knows your lifestyle better than anyone else on here.

good luck with whatever you choose. (y)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the forum is evolving into a travel forum and to hell with what form of transport you use, lots of 5ver owners here as well, caravans in disguise aren't they? Jim will take your membership fee no matter what you drive so get stuck in.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
the forum is evolving into a travel forum and to hell with what form of transport you use, lots of 5ver owners here as well, caravans in disguise aren't they? Jim will take your membership fee no matter what you drive so get stuck in.
Says the man who's sole ambition on life is to build a Seagull outboard motor powered space rocket.........:Eeek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had many motorhomes and just three caravans at various times. Caravans are fine but you have to adjust what you do to suit what you have. Currently I like to tour, mainly in France, and so the ability to stay on aires etc is a vital part of the tour. Last summer I took a toad, first time in France with one and it will also be the last. It was a pain to hitch up and tow (though not as bad as a caravan) and was not actually all that useful, as there aren't many places in France you can't get to even in a nearly 8m MH.

In a couple of weeks we are going to the New Forest with the toad and this is then very useful as we will be going to the Christmas market in Winchester, among other places. I am sure it is difficult if not impossible to park a large motorhome in Winchester when the markets on.

If I could afford to own and store both, I would like to have a motorhome and a caravan, then could use whichever was the most suitable for where I was going and what the plan was. Motorhome for the continent and caravan for the UK.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive often thought the ultimate is a day van and caravan we would miss the times we park at a beutiful spot for breakfast lunch etc

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
ive often thought the ultimate is a day van and caravan we would miss the times we park at a beutiful spot for breakfast lunch etc

Please explain what you mean by a day van.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
basicly a comfy small minibus with the facilities to do small meals and washup my idea being you could still get out and about with enough facilities for the day at the beach /attractions/beuaty spot
mind you with the number of height restrictions now it might not work that well probably need to do it on a low people carrier

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
basicly a comfy small minibus with the facilities to do small meals and washup my idea being you could still get out and about with enough facilities for the day at the beach /attractions/beuaty spot
mind you with the number of height restrictions now it might not work that well probably need to do it on a low people carrier
That was pretty much our first camper. There were three rows of seats which folded flat to make a king size and two single beds. The huge boot we fitted out as a mini-kitchen. No loo / shower. It was my everyday vehicle and we used it for nights away.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Great idea. Might suggest it to Steve. Another option to look at. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Great idea. Might suggest it to Steve. Another option to look at. :)
The base vehicle for my little camper was a Toyota Hi-Ace Bus. It was an import as that model was never sold here by Toyota. It was many, many years ago. After that we got a Hymer that was the size of a single decker bus.

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Hello Cat53,the latest edition of MMM magazine arrived yesterday. Inside was the separate MMM Mobility issue. There are lots of features therein which you might find interesting and useful.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
If the budget is £97k it should allow for lots of options.

In my opinion there are two types of people who consider the camper/caravan option.

If you like to drive to a site, book in for 2 weeks, see the locality and then drive back, a caravan makes a lot of sense.

If, instead you like the up and go freedom without tight deadlines then I think a camper works best. We are 5.5 metres long and we can pretty much go anywhere. We can fit into most town parking spaces or drive in on our bikes from slightly further out.

In ten years we have probably spent 800 nights in the camper and about 200,000 miles. I don't think we've reached double figures yet on nights on a campsite.

Each to his own.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
You seem to have aroused a lot of empathy with this post. I suspect we all feel that we can help you with your decision and feel the tug to suggest that our personal advice is best.

I would caution you regarding the need to buy new because it will be reliable; it just might not be.

I know from my own experience that I can make very poor decisions. So many is the time that I want to book a plane ticket to USA and back and it is ten quid cheaper from Heathrow than Manchester.

It costs me a tank of petrol there and back, car parking fees (coz I get a lift close to home) and at least ten hours of my life.

Some people are friends and you like them because they invariably agree with you; others are friends and they provoke you into a rethink with the best of intentions.

Keep the thought process going!!!

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I have often thought a caravan would be better when i see people driving out for a meal or to visit a town. Then i think we are better off with the motorhome as i would have to leave the car somewhere every night. I just wish i didn't have to stagger home all the time. Jokes aside we like to walk for miles each day and the MH suits us just fine but who knows in the future. Best of luck in what ever you do.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Been there done that.
We had caravans the last with every possible extra, Truma Mover under bench seat air con unit thereby keeping the weight low down etc etc
Best thing we ever did was to change to a MH and if we want to go into town or visit a stately home we go in our 22' MH and have never had a problem parking. Failing that we do have a braked A-frame with dolly wheel and a toad should we require it but we've not used it yet on our latest van

Last edited:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Pouncing about with an Aqua Roll or two plus a Waste Master is a positive pain particularly for my BH as She has to deal with it all

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
want we need most of all is a comfy base. The plan is to drive to a CL or equivalent for a week or so, explore the area and then move on. We want to travel, but we also want to stop and stare. Or sit for a day and just read a book in a lovely location. We want comfy seating, the ability to cook a decent meal, a hot shower and a soft bed. We think a caravan answers those needs best for us. But we have the time to keep investigating and to keep looking. I'm loving all your help and suggestions and the benefit of your experiences too. Thank you.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I have been pondering this since the day I took delivery of my first caravan. for is now doing weekends about once a month with no kids and no pre planning, it makes sense to have the campervan. If we were going for longer trips away we would have a larger mh with a toad. We enjoy touring and don't stay in one place long enough to make the effort of pitching a caravan worthwhile.

But that's just us.. if everyone was the same the world would be very boring...

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
Motorhome flexibility is key for us. When we are "on tour" particularly in Mainland Europe we tend to move on each day, only stopping one night if there is not enough of interest to feed our curiosity to stay longer. We just have to see what the next location on our flexible itinerary has to offer. We have an automatic hydraulic levelling system which enables us to level up in less than a minute without having to get out of the vehicle even on the most uneven of overnight parking stops, (wild camping and otherwise) and it takes us less than 5 minutes to pack away and move off next morning. Try doing that with a caravan !
It's horses for courses. If you are happy to book weeks in advance and stay in one place and keep paying for a site then a caravan is the only sensible way to go, but a motorhome at any price is the only way to go for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back