Habitation step

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by kev1, Sep 14, 2016.

1. kev1

kev1 Funster

We recently bought a Hobby 725 2006 registered
    I am still getting used to it and yesterday stupidly drove off with the electric side step still out
    No damage but it could have been very different.
    I am normally careful and walk round the van before moving off but got in via the side door.

The manual doesn't mention any warning alarm and the step does not slide in when you turn the ignition key

I don't know the make of the step, no visible name on it.
    I will endevour to be more careful in future but would like to fit an audible alarm which sounds when the ignition is turned on.
    Anyone know how easy/difficult this sis to do
    Many thanks
    Kev

2. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Just to save time and effort add "Step - Ensure Retracted" to your pre-departure list (y) If you've not got one - get one;)

3. kev1

kev1 Funster

Hi Zig
    yep we have one but on route soemtimes we stop walk the dog etc
    and side dorr is the door we use
    We dont do the whole check list at each stop so and alrm would be good
    Thanks anyway
    Kev

4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we have an alarm on ours that has a mind of its own, bleeping when retracted on occasion but more often than not not bleeping when left out.

my mirrors are adjusted so the step is in view on my offside mirror, still miss it occasionally but not often

a beeper should be pretty straightforward, but like mine prone to wet and dirt ingress and premature failure I would say

5. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

There is a switch on my Thule step wired to a light on the dash.
    Have look and see if there is one on yours.

6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

@andy63 just broke his step. There is a warning when he starts the MOTORHOME but it sounds in the habitation and not the cab so he doesn't hear it as a reminder. He will be coming up with a solution to this soon no doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  7. andy63

andy63 Funster

Haha..I was just trying to figure out how to explain what I was going to try when I saw your post...
    A poor explanation follows of what I intend trying :LOL:

It should be possible to fit a relay energised by an ignition or engine run signal to the step motor closing wire..
    My step has a switch that is operated when the step closes.. I think most steps have such a switch that operates a warning light or buzzer..
    So would use that to earth the coil of the relay so that when the step closes it switches the relay off..
    That's what I intend trying... as my step doesn't close unless you operate the switch..and I'd rather it closed when I start the engine..
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Better a warning buzzer + retraction button on the dash. A friend of mine came close to serious injury when she stepped out of the van with the step retracted. Her husband had turned the ignition on to check something.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

My Swift had an audible alarm and retracted on starting the engine.
    Bearing in mind that the power has to be on in the Sargent unit in the hab area or it wouldn't work

• Like Like x 1
  10. IrasciBill

IrasciBill Funster

Our last van had a "courtesy light" type switch on the hab door. This extended the step when the door was opened and retracted it when the door was closed. It also operated a step light. There was a switch on the dash which could isolate the step operation so I still, on occasion, managed to drive off with the step extended!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cleve

Cleve Funster

Helen has a micro switch which is opened (turned off) when the step is retracted. The switch is connected to a red warning light below the "oil" light on the instrument cluster. It is a very basic installation and only works with the ignition switch on so a clear and obvious warning.

It appears to be original equipment (34 years old) but if I did not have it and wondered if the step was up or down I can simply look over my right shoulder and see the lever is up, yes, Helen's step is manual!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  12. andy63

andy63 Funster

I asked a question on a thread a while back about whether steps should close when you turn on the ignition or start engine..
    The concensus appeared to be the the solution you mention above..but my problem is I'm deaf to most of the modern high pitched buzzerrs.. I don't hear my step buzzer and don't hear my reversing sensor's for example...
    In a previous van I've fitted flashing led''s as warning devices for open skylights etc and missed them when it's bright and sunny..
    So for me having the step closing not on ignition but when the engine is running is the best solution. ..

My van is the same Bobby. . The power panel has to be on in hab area for the step switch to work... there does appear to be a timer function that let's you switch the panel off and the step can still be closed when you leave the van but I've never checked how long you get..
    If I get round to putting the engine run relay in I'm going to try and make sure it's independent of the power panel in the hab area..

Having said all this it's pretty hard to miss the extended step if I glance in the mirror...but I've managed that as well:LOL:

My apologies to @kev1 but as my first post on your thread indicated it should be a fairly straight fwd job to install a switch and warning or retraction system on your step..

Andy.

13. rb62

rb62 Funster

You could always try one of these ,JCB reverse alarms. :rofl:
    Most of the farmers spent their time disconnecting them!:doh:

image.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. andy63

andy63 Funster

Haha Richard, .. it would take something like that I'm afraid..
    My deafness is a source of amusement to the family especially the grandkid's. Has been a bit embarrassing on occasion but I'm getting used to it now..:LOL:
    Andy.

15. rb62

rb62 Funster

I tend to suffer from selective hearing......or so I'm told...:LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. kev1

kev1 Funster

Thanks for all the wonderful replies
    looks a tad more complicated than I thought
    Andy if you have success please let me know
    Kev

Then I can pop round and you can do mine