gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Hello All,
I hope someone can help.
I have a Auto-Trail Chieftain G the habitation step does not retract when when I turn the ignition on, but I can retract the step by means of the manual step next to the door. Anyone got a cure?:winky:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
did it used to go in automatically or has it always been this way??

some electric steps are not wired for auto retract although it is a relatively simple thing to sort.

somewhere online there is a wiring mod to make them so they go in when you turn on the ignition.
it comprises of a relay connected to the step alarm switch and the wiring to the manual switch inside the van.
http://www.omnistorawnings.co.uk/content/12_volt_wiring_diagram/

OP
OP
F

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Aba,
Yes its allways went in automaticly until a few weeks ago:Sad:

Thanks

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
What year is the motorhome? Pre 2007 the auto retract step and fridge 12V functions on AutoTrails were controlled via a 5 amp fuse, location varied according to model. Post 2007 there is a relay unit behind the drivers seat.

D.

OP
OP
F

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Hello Dave its a 2005 the buzzer is in the Truma heater cabinet left of the habitation door.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I had this problem on a friend's Autotrail Cheyanne fitted with an Omni-Step.

It was the white-coloured limit switch on the step which was playing up. It was designed in such a way that if it were on the UK offside, ie on a continental van, the switch would be at the rear of the step and out of harms way from road crud.
Because it was on the UK nearside, and therefore on the leading side of the step, the limit switch had suffered from spray getting inside and corroding the contacts. A good WD40ing and working it repeatedly soon sorted it out. Auto step function returned to normal.:thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hello Dave its a 2005 the buzzer is in the Truma heater cabinet left of the habitation door.

Thanks

Buzzer location is not an indicator of where the fuses are, on a 2007 Miami for example they're in the seat box behind the passenger's seat. I'd look in the engine bay first, there should be two fuse holders together, one with a five amp fuse one with a 20 amp. The five amp fuse is on the engine running signal line from the alternator so if that's blown or dirty the step doesn't retract. If the buzzer is working then the step switch is probably ok but it is possible that is the problem.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back