Habitation Step Problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by f6c, Dec 11, 2012.

1. f6c

f6c Funster

Hello All,
    I hope someone can help.
    I have a Auto-Trail Chieftain G the habitation step does not retract when when I turn the ignition on, but I can retract the step by means of the manual step next to the door. Anyone got a cure?:Wink:

2. aba

aba

did it used to go in automatically or has it always been this way??

some electric steps are not wired for auto retract although it is a relatively simple thing to sort.

somewhere online there is a wiring mod to make them so they go in when you turn on the ignition.
    it comprises of a relay connected to the step alarm switch and the wiring to the manual switch inside the van.
    http://www.omnistorawnings.co.uk/content/12_volt_wiring_diagram/

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My last van sounded a warning if the step was out, but didn't automatically retract.

4. f6c

f6c Funster

Aba,
    Yes its allways went in automaticly until a few weeks ago:Sad:

Thanks

5. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

What year is the motorhome? Pre 2007 the auto retract step and fridge 12V functions on AutoTrails were controlled via a 5 amp fuse, location varied according to model. Post 2007 there is a relay unit behind the drivers seat.

D.

6. f6c

f6c Funster

Hello Dave its a 2005 the buzzer is in the Truma heater cabinet left of the habitation door.

Thanks

7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I had this problem on a friend's Autotrail Cheyanne fitted with an Omni-Step.

It was the white-coloured limit switch on the step which was playing up. It was designed in such a way that if it were on the UK offside, ie on a continental van, the switch would be at the rear of the step and out of harms way from road crud.
    Because it was on the UK nearside, and therefore on the leading side of the step, the limit switch had suffered from spray getting inside and corroding the contacts. A good WD40ing and working it repeatedly soon sorted it out. Auto step function returned to normal.:thumb:

8. f6c

f6c Funster

Many Thanks to you all:Smile:

9. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Buzzer location is not an indicator of where the fuses are, on a 2007 Miami for example they're in the seat box behind the passenger's seat. I'd look in the engine bay first, there should be two fuse holders together, one with a five amp fuse one with a 20 amp. The five amp fuse is on the engine running signal line from the alternator so if that's blown or dirty the step doesn't retract. If the buzzer is working then the step switch is probably ok but it is possible that is the problem.

D.