Habitation service (1 Viewer)

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Hi all. I have just had some warranty work done at Lowdhams, Nottingham. When I was leaving I asked how much is a habitation check as mine is due in July. I was told £365 as it takes five hours. Are the having a laugh. That does not cover cooker or fridge service. Can I get it done anywhere that is approved as not to affect the warranty. Thanks in advance. John.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Buy yourself a good quality damp meter and you've done 95% of the job yourself. That way you know it's done properly. I've many customers and friends who own dealerships and they love the cash cow called a habitation service. Over 75% of motor home owners are frightening if the dealer doesn't do the annual service but in reality it is a total rip off. The manufacturer's make the rules with there so called long term water ingress warranty. Personally I don't have them done. After 13 motor homes and over 30 years I suppose I've been lucky with damp staying out. It's all down to individual choice and no doubt some funsters will totally disagree with me.
Shop around and you could save quite a bit cash as top dealers are top because they rip us off. Good hunting.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
John, get an NCC approved mobile engineer who will come to your motorhome to service it. Check the terms of the warranty. I'm sure further advice will follow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi all. I have just had some warranty work done at Lowdhams, Nottingham. When I was leaving I asked how much is a habitation check as mine is due in July. I was told £365 as it takes five hours. Are the having a laugh. That does not cover cooker or fridge service. Can I get it done anywhere that is approved as not to affect the warranty. Thanks in advance. John.

Hi @joca. Seehttp://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/habitation-check.125384/

Save us all posting again!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
What @wiljoy said! I have been repairing/looking after the van since we got it! Not entirely sure what value a habitation service would give us. I had some work done on the fridge recently, and the guy did a gas safety check as part of the work. I've replaced most moving parts on the van over the last year, so I reckon I've saved myself £400ish on not having a habitation service!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It's made round to go round. You wouldn't think twice about spending 400 quid on a nice Chinese take away for the *FUNSTERS* at your next rally, so why quibble?? :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We just had one done on our PVC at Peterborough show for the princely sum of £95. (y) If I'd gone to SMC where we bought it from last year it would have been double ... at least! :eek:

Its not an NCC engineer you want but an Approved Workshop Scheme engineer - the NCC are just one of the organisations who set-it up along with the Caravan Club and Camping & Caravanning Club.

http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/scheme-supporters/

As Swift are one of the manufacturers who've signed up to the scheme you can use any of the AWS members to do it, just go on to the search and see what comes up:

http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/search/#results

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
i heard it was muff divers they used
Thank God I have a Hymer then........:Eeek:

hitler.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depends on the terms of your warranty as to what you actually need to have done, as our MH is still under the 2 year warranty we have to have the full hab done, but once that's expired it'll just be a damp check that's required ... if we bother with it being a PVC ... I can check the obvious places round windows and roof vents myself! Of course the gas test/check is worth having too.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I do think it's a bit like services and MOTs - at some stage in the future presumably all of us will wish to sell our vans. If you have a FSH, and surely hab checks are part of that for a Moho or caravan? maybe you'd have better success selling it? Dunno cos we've only P/X'd one!

OP
OP
Chocy boy
Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2011
It's made round to go round. You wouldn't think twice about spending 400 quid on a nice Chinese take away for the *FUNSTERS* at your next rally, so why quibble?? :)
I will spend my money if I have to. Don't like being ripped off

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I believe my Burstner warranty specifies how long the check will take. I think it is just a damp check to keep the habitation warranty up. I'll check when I get home. I think it was in the order of 1/2 to one hour workshop time. I'll see what the dealer says when it's first year is up!

OP
OP
Chocy boy
Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2011
Had a
I believe my Burstner warranty specifies how long the check will take. I think it is just a damp check to keep the habitation warranty up. I'll check when I get home. I think it was in the order of 1/2 to one hour workshop time. I'll see what the dealer says when it's first year is up!
Lowdhams said it took five hours.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
The last time I asked at my dealer in Newark, no not that one, the other one nearer the town...they quoted 4 hours at £60 an hour? Just what are they finding to do exactly:LOL:? So I just have a damp test and gas check done...even that I question after being told rear window needed to come out and be re-sealed as there were low readings around it. (£80) There was a slight leak, but not from the window but the high level brake light housing that I discovered myself. So they took the window out for no reason!

I guess it's easier with a 14 year old van to decide to do it yourself :)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009

Hi.
Give these a call
www.longeatoncaravans.co.uk
They have a very good name by several mates of mine who have used them for repairs etc. Nearer than Lowdhams,another plus is,when done,swing back to B/ham via Ashbourne/litchfield,sorted.
Tea Bag ( One time drinker at The Holly Bush Quinton)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Hymer, and according to the dealer I bought it from, Becks, it needs a yearly damp check and underbody spray to keep the damp penetration warranty going. They charge £195 for that. I can also get the habitation check done for another £100 at the same time. All I really want from the habitation check is the gas checked, because I can do the rest myself. A gas check costs £59 from them so I guess for the other £41 I might as well have the rest of the habitation service done.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We have a Hymer, and according to the dealer I bought it from, Becks, it needs a yearly damp check and underbody spray to keep the damp penetration warranty going. They charge £195 for that. I can also get the habitation check done for another £100 at the same time. All I really want from the habitation check is the gas checked, because I can do the rest myself. A gas check costs £59 from them so I guess for the other £41 I might as well have the rest of the habitation service done.
That's a new one on me! What on earth is that meant to do - do they spray some coating on or just spray it with water to see if it leaks!!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I've been reading the Rapido manual and all I can find so far is a reference to having the gas checked annually,

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I asked what was required for warrany on my one year old Knaus - Damp check + some underseal spray - so I bit the bullet and paid for only that... £260!! last Fri morn ..

However, whilst the inside was very dry.. (Which I'd guessed would be ) I was slightly dissapointed to be told 3 of the 5 locker doors failed ( to be replaced under warranty ). They think the doors are leaking where locks have been fitted.

So I'm awaiting a call when parts arrive.... Of which I've already contributed £260.. As I see it!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@peterc10
Further to my above post, I 've done a bit of digging and it appears that Hymer insist on underseal being applied each year to keep the water ingress warranty. Someone did question the need though as they said that Hymers built after 2013/14 didn't have plywood floors ...

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/garage-underside.113419/

Might be worth getting in touch with Hymer direct to see if it is definitely needed on your MH, depending on the age, as it may simply be that Becks just 'do it' as they've always done but your's might not need it if it's not that old.

Last edited:

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Glad I haven't got a Hymer or Knaus then if they feel their MHs 'need' to have this work done every year! :D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I asked what was required for warrany on my one year old Knaus - Damp check + some underseal spray - so I bit the bullet and paid for only that... £260!! last Fri morn ..

However, whilst the inside was very dry.. (Which I'd guessed would be ) I was slightly dissapointed to be told 3 of the 5 locker doors failed ( to be replaced under warranty ). They think the doors are leaking where locks have been fitted.

So I'm awaiting a call when parts arrive.... Of which I've already contributed £260.. As I see it!

Really you shouldn't have to pay if they find any ingress . The bill should be forwarded to the manufacturer.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
If I still worked and had access to a garage as I used to have, I would definitely get underneath with the waxoyl gun and make sure all the points were waterproof where pipes / tubes etc go through the floor. Now I reckon a tube of black mastic will have to do ((When Summer arrives))
Mitch.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@peterc10
Further to my above post, I 've done a bit of digging and it appears that Hymer insist on underseal being applied each year to keep the water ingress warranty. Someone did question the need though as they said that Hymers built after 2013/14 didn't have plywood floors ...

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/garage-underside.113419/

Might be worth getting in touch with Hymer direct to see if it is definitely needed on your MH, depending on the age, as it may simply be that Becks just 'do it' as they've always done but your's might not need it if it's not that old.
Thanks. Will be up at the dealer on Wednesday so will speak with them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back