Habitation service

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jo-ca, Apr 24, 2016.

1. jo-ca

jo-ca Funster

Hi all. I have just had some warranty work done at Lowdhams, Nottingham. When I was leaving I asked how much is a habitation check as mine is due in July. I was told £365 as it takes five hours. Are the having a laugh. That does not cover cooker or fridge service. Can I get it done anywhere that is approved as not to affect the warranty. Thanks in advance. John.

• Like Like x 2
  2. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Buy yourself a good quality damp meter and you've done 95% of the job yourself. That way you know it's done properly. I've many customers and friends who own dealerships and they love the cash cow called a habitation service. Over 75% of motor home owners are frightening if the dealer doesn't do the annual service but in reality it is a total rip off. The manufacturer's make the rules with there so called long term water ingress warranty. Personally I don't have them done. After 13 motor homes and over 30 years I suppose I've been lucky with damp staying out. It's all down to individual choice and no doubt some funsters will totally disagree with me.
    Shop around and you could save quite a bit cash as top dealers are top because they rip us off. Good hunting.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. quickweh

quickweh Funster

John, get an NCC approved mobile engineer who will come to your motorhome to service it. Check the terms of the warranty. I'm sure further advice will follow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Hi @joca. Seehttp://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/habitation-check.125384/

Save us all posting again!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

What @wiljoy said! I have been repairing/looking after the van since we got it! Not entirely sure what value a habitation service would give us. I had some work done on the fridge recently, and the guy did a gas safety check as part of the work. I've replaced most moving parts on the van over the last year, so I reckon I've saved myself £400ish on not having a habitation service!

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

It's made round to go round. You wouldn't think twice about spending 400 quid on a nice Chinese take away for the *FUNSTERS* at your next rally, so why quibble?? :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We just had one done on our PVC at Peterborough show for the princely sum of £95. (y) If I'd gone to SMC where we bought it from last year it would have been double ... at least! :eek:

Its not an NCC engineer you want but an Approved Workshop Scheme engineer - the NCC are just one of the organisations who set-it up along with the Caravan Club and Camping & Caravanning Club.

http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/scheme-supporters/

As Swift are one of the manufacturers who've signed up to the scheme you can use any of the AWS members to do it, just go on to the search and see what comes up:

http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/search/#results

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Isn't it Swifts that get a deep sea diver to do the water ingress check?? :)

• Funny Funny x 8
  9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i heard it was muff divers they used

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Thank God I have a Hymer then........:Eeek:

hitler.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Never had a habitation check just a damp check to keep the warranty.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Depends on the terms of your warranty as to what you actually need to have done, as our MH is still under the 2 year warranty we have to have the full hab done, but once that's expired it'll just be a damp check that's required ... if we bother with it being a PVC ... I can check the obvious places round windows and roof vents myself! Of course the gas test/check is worth having too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. sedge

sedge Funster

Well I do think it's a bit like services and MOTs - at some stage in the future presumably all of us will wish to sell our vans. If you have a FSH, and surely hab checks are part of that for a Moho or caravan? maybe you'd have better success selling it? Dunno cos we've only P/X'd one!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. jo-ca

jo-ca Funster

I will spend my money if I have to. Don't like being ripped off

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  15. stevec

stevec Funster

I believe my Burstner warranty specifies how long the check will take. I think it is just a damp check to keep the habitation warranty up. I'll check when I get home. I think it was in the order of 1/2 to one hour workshop time. I'll see what the dealer says when it's first year is up!

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. jo-ca

jo-ca Funster

Had a
    Lowdhams said it took five hours.

17. jo-ca

jo-ca Funster

Had a quote from Broadway leisure, £165. That means £ 200 more to spend in Wetherspoons;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

The last time I asked at my dealer in Newark, no not that one, the other one nearer the town...they quoted 4 hours at £60 an hour? Just what are they finding to do exactly:LOL:? So I just have a damp test and gas check done...even that I question after being told rear window needed to come out and be re-sealed as there were low readings around it. (£80) There was a slight leak, but not from the window but the high level brake light housing that I discovered myself. So they took the window out for no reason!

I guess it's easier with a 14 year old van to decide to do it yourself :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Give these a call
    www.longeatoncaravans.co.uk
    They have a very good name by several mates of mine who have used them for repairs etc. Nearer than Lowdhams,another plus is,when done,swing back to B/ham via Ashbourne/litchfield,sorted.
    Tea Bag ( One time drinker at The Holly Bush Quinton)

20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

We have a Hymer, and according to the dealer I bought it from, Becks, it needs a yearly damp check and underbody spray to keep the damp penetration warranty going. They charge £195 for that. I can also get the habitation check done for another £100 at the same time. All I really want from the habitation check is the gas checked, because I can do the rest myself. A gas check costs £59 from them so I guess for the other £41 I might as well have the rest of the habitation service done.

• Thanks Thanks x 1