Habitation Service for a Globecar (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where have those who have a Globecar PVC had their annual habitation services carried out? Ours isn't due until May, just before we go on holiday, so I'm wondering whether to do it in the UK, or see if I can arrange for it to be done whilst we're away in France/Germany etc.

So, anyone had it done here and if so where and what was the cost?

Anyone had it done abroad ... where & cost?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Its a PVC so it will be predominately a visual inspection, a multimeter on the electrics and a gas check. I couldn't see any any value with paying out for one for our Moto-Trek, did a visual and the electrics myself following their check-sheet and got Autogas 2000 (local to me) to check the gas whilst they were putting stoneguard on the tank.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its a PVC so it will be predominately a visual inspection, a multimeter on the electrics and a gas check. I couldn't see any any value with paying out for one for our Moto-Trek, did a visual and the electrics myself following their check-sheet and got Autogas 2000 (local to me) to check the gas whilst they were putting stoneguard on the tank.
As our PVC is less than a year old if we want to keep the 2 year warranty cover we need to have it done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I had the same issue Mel with my PVC, needed because of the warranty. I went to my local Marquis dealer as wouldn't go back to the supplying dealer - don't trust them!! Cost nearly £200 but it means warranty is intact. They did supply a damp reading etc.

Murphy

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Shire Conversion
Exp
Got our Shire PVC booked in for habitation check next week at. http://www.gwcaravans.co.uk/
£140:00 plus any consumerables,

They have a good reputation and do a good thorough check with reports,

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
We use NCC approved mobile engineers who charge a lot less than dealers - around £130 . Your warranty should also be maintained if you use them
Link Removed

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We use NCC approved mobile engineers who charge a lot less than dealers - around £130 . Your warranty should also be maintained if you use them
Link Removed
Thanks for that link, I knew about the scheme but a lot of manufacturers, especially foreign make ones, haven't signed up to it, and whilst Globecar isn't listed Dethleffs is which Globecar is owned by ... and my Cert of Conformity paperwork was produced by Dethleffs ... so I can use one of their members! (y)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We've got a local AWS member who we used for Swift previously so have rung them and they can do the Globecar but I was wondering about a mobile technician instead so I've emailed Caratech located not far from us, the other alternative is to get it done when we're at our static in Lincolnshire (near Tattershall) or when we go to the Peterborough show - has anyone used any mobile technicians in these areas they could recommend?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I have looked into this warranty issue and habitation service carefully (see my Moto-Trek thread). The warranties that manufacturers supply are common to all their vehicles, so understandably they want to ensure that damp doesn't get a hold in a coachbuilt or A-class, so a habitation check becomes a pre-requisite, but this is nonsense for a PVC.

I would suggest that you get hold of the checklist from Globecar, you will note it is mainly visual checks, if your electrics aren't working you would know but the checks they do can all be done with a multimeter. The only area of risk is the gas system - get this checked by an independent for £35 - problem solved. You may even find when you contact Globecar that they don't require a habitation service on PVC.

European Block Exemption rules mean manufacturers can’t invalidate your warranty for not using a franchised dealer – as long as a competent person follows the maker’s service schedule and uses original equipment parts - which on a habitation check will be nowt!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've contacted a local approved workshop (who we've used for previous MHs) and they can do it for a max of £145, but I've also found a local mobile fitter who can do it for £110 and he comes to us ... I'll keep researching!

I did obviously think of our own 'Dave Newell' but he doesn't appear to be part of the AWS scheme. :(

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Where have those who have a Globecar PVC had their annual habitation services carried out? Ours isn't due until May, just before we go on holiday, so I'm wondering whether to do it in the UK, or see if I can arrange for it to be done whilst we're away in France/Germany etc.

So, anyone had it done here and if so where and what was the cost?

Anyone had it done abroad ... where & cost?

We get our habitation checks done at FM caravans in fountains road. When we had a new Escape Swift was happy for us to have checks done there rather than travel to the dealers. well i think it is fountains road lol

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We've got a local AWS member who we used for Swift previously so have rung them and they can do the Globecar but I was wondering about a mobile technician instead so I've emailed Caratech located not far from us, the other alternative is to get it done when we're at our static in Lincolnshire (near Tattershall) or when we go to the Peterborough show - has anyone used any mobile technicians in these areas they could recommend?
We are a Peterborough show will be doing habitation checks there for £95 we are AWS .
Ash

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We are a Peterborough show will be doing habitation checks there for £95 we are AWS .
Ash
Great stuff! I did check out your website but it said you only do 30 miles of Nuneaton so I didn't contact you ... I'll have a chat to hubby later about booking in ... he's cooking tea at the moment and I'm banned from disturbing him ... likes to think he's a posh chef! :D

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My 1st hab check is coming up on my Globecar.
so heres the question.
Has anyone had issues with Globecar if the check was done by an NCC approved person rather than the dealer?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Looking at the NCC website Dethleffs has been removed from the list.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Looking at the NCC website Dethleffs has been removed from the list.
It's not the NCC you need to look at but the AWS (Approved Workshop Scheme) of which the NCC is a founder member along with the Caravan & Motorhome Club and the Camping and Caravan Club, more info here:

http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/scheme-supporters/

Using a Dethleffs approved AWS member rather than a specific Globecar dealer for our hab check meant we had some 'grief' when we needed to claim for warranty work despite them being the same 'group', although that was sorted and the warranty claims submitted to Globecar with some work done so they must have accepted we met the terms but we're still waiting to get our other stuff done ... but that's another story!

As Dethleffs is no longer on the list of scheme supporters I suspect that if you do use an AWS member Globecar would not now agree to carry out warranty work if you need it so it's not worth the risk (especially if that lovely big fridge goes wrong!) ... just see if you can get a good price for a hab service from a 'pukka' Globecar dealer as they do vary in price.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just an aside, whenever we buy a car or van from a dealer (new or used), as we are getting close to negotiating a deal I always conclude by saying we'll agree to purchase provided the first one or two annual services are included. Knowing the actual cost of the service is significantly less than the retail price, and it shows you are committed to an ongoing relationship etc etc, they are normally happy to go with it to clinch the sale. Bingo, no shelling out for the first 2 have services @ £200 a time in our case, and work carried out by authorised dealer to ensure warranty maintained without question.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back