Habitation Service for a Globecar

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Minxy Girl, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Where have those who have a Globecar PVC had their annual habitation services carried out? Ours isn't due until May, just before we go on holiday, so I'm wondering whether to do it in the UK, or see if I can arrange for it to be done whilst we're away in France/Germany etc.

So, anyone had it done here and if so where and what was the cost?

Anyone had it done abroad ... where & cost?

2. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Its a PVC so it will be predominately a visual inspection, a multimeter on the electrics and a gas check. I couldn't see any any value with paying out for one for our Moto-Trek, did a visual and the electrics myself following their check-sheet and got Autogas 2000 (local to me) to check the gas whilst they were putting stoneguard on the tank.

3. Minxy Girl

As our PVC is less than a year old if we want to keep the 2 year warranty cover we need to have it done.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

I had the same issue Mel with my PVC, needed because of the warranty. I went to my local Marquis dealer as wouldn't go back to the supplying dealer - don't trust them!! Cost nearly £200 but it means warranty is intact. They did supply a damp reading etc.

5. Murphy

Murphy Funster

Got our Shire PVC booked in for habitation check next week at. http://www.gwcaravans.co.uk/
    £140:00 plus any consumerables,

They have a good reputation and do a good thorough check with reports,

6. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

7. Minxy Girl

Thanks for that link, I knew about the scheme but a lot of manufacturers, especially foreign make ones, haven't signed up to it, and whilst Globecar isn't listed Dethleffs is which Globecar is owned by ... and my Cert of Conformity paperwork was produced by Dethleffs ... so I can use one of their members! (y)

8. Minxy Girl

We've got a local AWS member who we used for Swift previously so have rung them and they can do the Globecar but I was wondering about a mobile technician instead so I've emailed Caratech located not far from us, the other alternative is to get it done when we're at our static in Lincolnshire (near Tattershall) or when we go to the Peterborough show - has anyone used any mobile technicians in these areas they could recommend?

9. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

I have looked into this warranty issue and habitation service carefully (see my Moto-Trek thread). The warranties that manufacturers supply are common to all their vehicles, so understandably they want to ensure that damp doesn't get a hold in a coachbuilt or A-class, so a habitation check becomes a pre-requisite, but this is nonsense for a PVC.

I would suggest that you get hold of the checklist from Globecar, you will note it is mainly visual checks, if your electrics aren't working you would know but the checks they do can all be done with a multimeter. The only area of risk is the gas system - get this checked by an independent for £35 - problem solved. You may even find when you contact Globecar that they don't require a habitation service on PVC.

European Block Exemption rules mean manufacturers can’t invalidate your warranty for not using a franchised dealer – as long as a competent person follows the maker’s service schedule and uses original equipment parts - which on a habitation check will be nowt!

10. Minxy Girl

I've contacted a local approved workshop (who we've used for previous MHs) and they can do it for a max of £145, but I've also found a local mobile fitter who can do it for £110 and he comes to us ... I'll keep researching!

I did obviously think of our own 'Dave Newell' but he doesn't appear to be part of the AWS scheme. :(

11. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

We get our habitation checks done at FM caravans in fountains road. When we had a new Escape Swift was happy for us to have checks done there rather than travel to the dealers. well i think it is fountains road lol

12. Ash

Ash Trader - Service & Repairs Life Member

We are a Peterborough show will be doing habitation checks there for £95 we are AWS .
    Ash

13. Minxy Girl

Great stuff! I did check out your website but it said you only do 30 miles of Nuneaton so I didn't contact you ... I'll have a chat to hubby later about booking in ... he's cooking tea at the moment and I'm banned from disturbing him ... likes to think he's a posh chef! :D