Habitation door , manufacturer of MH taking the piss ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Adbt, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Motorhome 30 months old , already had one habitation door replaced by MH manufacturer .
    Now door ( three weeks ago ) wouldn't shut flush or lock . Took to MH manufacturer approved repair centre who sorted it but told me categorically that the fault will reoccur and there is NO more wriggle / adjustment room due to the fact the door is broken / unrepairable .
    So now the fun starts

MH manufacturer says " nowt to do with us your beef is with the door manufacturer "
    Door manufacturer says " nowt to do with us , this must be a long term problem that should of been picked up by your MH approved habitation check service centre"
    MH approved service says " nowt to do with us , at each habitation service check there was nothing wrong with the door "

CAB have my details and I have a further appt with them a week on Tuesday !

Any thoughts / help as I'm incredibly angry / frustrated at the mo ! ? Ta in advance !

2. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

Your first point of call is the dealer you bought it from, it's their responsibility to fix it.

Did you buy it new?

How much warrantee did you get when you bought it?

When did the first door break?

If the first door broke within a year then you are covered by your statutory rights, if after that then warrantee should cover it.

Companies can't just wash their hands of a longstanding fault, the repair would be covered by it own warrantee

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Your beef is with the dealer you purchased it from. Their responsibility under Sale of Goods Act (or whatever it's called now).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

I know nothing however I'd say your contract is with the dealer who supplied the motorhome. I'd be saying the door isn't fit for purpose and if he didn't sort it I'd issue small claims action against him.

It's up to him to sort it out with manufacturers etc. stop doing there job for them . Hope you get it sorted

• Like Like x 5
  5. Zepp

Zepp Funster

I agree with the above tell your dealer to sort it out

Forgot to say hope you get it sorted soon

6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

If they are all messing you about save all emails, make a note of all phone calls and contact trading standards as it sounds like it's not fit for purpose.

7. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

..... and if the DOOR isn't fit for purpose and can't be replaced then the MH isn't fit for purpose!
    As others have said above, your contract is with the dealer - assuming you bought from a dealer? It's their responsibility to sort it and, even though it's not their fault, your "beef" is with them. They can then follow up, up the line. You shouldn't need to have any contact with the manufacturers of the MH or of the door.
    If you bought privately then it's a different ball game of which I admit I know nothing :(

8. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Bought new from dealer , appt booked now with them for 12th Nov so their tech guys can have a look .
    Thanks for all the advice !
    All I want is someone to repair/ replace the door and above all else " do the right thing ! "

• Like Like x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

12 th Nov!! (n) Some of you guys on here put up with some shit, if it was me, I'd be down there parking it in their doorway, probably wouldn't get me anymore than you but at least you would have a bit of satisfaction of disrupting their cosy little workshop.

• Like Like x 6
  10. chaser

chaser Funster

If it gets broken into or full of damp because of the door , are they going to pay for that.

11. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

..... and if it won't lock, will your insurers still cover you if you get broken into???
    We had a similar problem, after a fraught day or two (we were "on our way" at the end of the week and had been quoted 6 weeks by the dealer!) our dealers agreed to a local authorised repairer to do the work on their behalf, which we paid for and were re-imbursed very promptly by the dealer. I think they were glad to get it off their books as it would have taken up their valuable selling time! - and we were happy because not only was it fixed in time, it also saved us quite a long round trip to the dealer's.

12. Adbt

Adbt Funster

At the moment it closes and locks ( tho at the end of its " adjustability " ) so with one more trip away before the 12 th its fingers crossed time !
    Believe me tho if it does misbehave in the meantime it is gonna be parked on their forecourt entrance , keys out till its sorted !

• Like Like x 3
  13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Across the entrance, but of course, not blocking it completely? I hope

14. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Fully sympathise with your plight.
    I had an Autocruise Gleneagle which had the habitation door actually rot with holes after 15 months. After fitting a new door the same thing happened again so yet another door.
    Our next van was a Bentley and it's door was bent so a new door was fitted. Now on with a Carthago and it's door is total crap as well. It's bent and fits badly and a new one will probably be the same. Don't be fooled in thinking Carthago are the best, no way. As long as they still fit the same s... from cheap suppliers it won't get any better.
    Good luck with your problem.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Geordies

Geordies Funster

What sort of van is it ?

16. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Bailey 740 SE or 370 if you take into account the shit hab door !

17. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Enough for air to get in is my goal !

• Like Like x 1
  18. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Bailey? Oh dear.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reevsie

Reevsie Funster

Did you buy the van with finance and are you still paying off the fiancee on the van. If so approach the finance company with your problems and let them get it sorted as they have an interest in the van.

20. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Not helpful

• Like Like x 4