Habitation door , manufacturer of MH taking the piss ? (1 Viewer)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Motorhome 30 months old , already had one habitation door replaced by MH manufacturer .
Now door ( three weeks ago ) wouldn't shut flush or lock . Took to MH manufacturer approved repair centre who sorted it but told me categorically that the fault will reoccur and there is NO more wriggle / adjustment room due to the fact the door is broken / unrepairable .
So now the fun starts

MH manufacturer says " nowt to do with us your beef is with the door manufacturer "
Door manufacturer says " nowt to do with us , this must be a long term problem that should of been picked up by your MH approved habitation check service centre"
MH approved service says " nowt to do with us , at each habitation service check there was nothing wrong with the door "

CAB have my details and I have a further appt with them a week on Tuesday !

Any thoughts / help as I'm incredibly angry / frustrated at the mo ! ? Ta in advance !

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Your first point of call is the dealer you bought it from, it's their responsibility to fix it.

Did you buy it new?

How much warrantee did you get when you bought it?

When did the first door break?

If the first door broke within a year then you are covered by your statutory rights, if after that then warrantee should cover it.

Companies can't just wash their hands of a longstanding fault, the repair would be covered by it own warrantee

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Your beef is with the dealer you purchased it from. Their responsibility under Sale of Goods Act (or whatever it's called now).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
I know nothing however I'd say your contract is with the dealer who supplied the motorhome. I'd be saying the door isn't fit for purpose and if he didn't sort it I'd issue small claims action against him.

It's up to him to sort it out with manufacturers etc. stop doing there job for them . Hope you get it sorted

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I agree with the above tell your dealer to sort it out

Forgot to say hope you get it sorted soon

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If they are all messing you about save all emails, make a note of all phone calls and contact trading standards as it sounds like it's not fit for purpose.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I know nothing however I'd say your contract is with the dealer who supplied the motorhome. I'd be saying the door isn't fit for purpose and if he didn't sort it I'd issue small claims action against him.
It's up to him to sort it out with manufacturers etc. stop doing there job for them . Hope you get it sorted
..... and if the DOOR isn't fit for purpose and can't be replaced then the MH isn't fit for purpose!
As others have said above, your contract is with the dealer - assuming you bought from a dealer? It's their responsibility to sort it and, even though it's not their fault, your "beef" is with them. They can then follow up, up the line. You shouldn't need to have any contact with the manufacturers of the MH or of the door.
If you bought privately then it's a different ball game of which I admit I know nothing :(

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Bought new from dealer , appt booked now with them for 12th Nov so their tech guys can have a look .
Thanks for all the advice !
All I want is someone to repair/ replace the door and above all else " do the right thing ! "

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
12 th Nov!! (n) Some of you guys on here put up with some shit, if it was me, I'd be down there parking it in their doorway, probably wouldn't get me anymore than you but at least you would have a bit of satisfaction of disrupting their cosy little workshop.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If it gets broken into or full of damp because of the door , are they going to pay for that.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If it gets broken into or full of damp because of the door , are they going to pay for that.
..... and if it won't lock, will your insurers still cover you if you get broken into???
We had a similar problem, after a fraught day or two (we were "on our way" at the end of the week and had been quoted 6 weeks by the dealer!) our dealers agreed to a local authorised repairer to do the work on their behalf, which we paid for and were re-imbursed very promptly by the dealer. I think they were glad to get it off their books as it would have taken up their valuable selling time! - and we were happy because not only was it fixed in time, it also saved us quite a long round trip to the dealer's.

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
At the moment it closes and locks ( tho at the end of its " adjustability " ) so with one more trip away before the 12 th its fingers crossed time !
Believe me tho if it does misbehave in the meantime it is gonna be parked on their forecourt entrance , keys out till its sorted !

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Fully sympathise with your plight.
I had an Autocruise Gleneagle which had the habitation door actually rot with holes after 15 months. After fitting a new door the same thing happened again so yet another door.
Our next van was a Bentley and it's door was bent so a new door was fitted. Now on with a Carthago and it's door is total crap as well. It's bent and fits badly and a new one will probably be the same. Don't be fooled in thinking Carthago are the best, no way. As long as they still fit the same s... from cheap suppliers it won't get any better.
Good luck with your problem.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
What sort of van is it ?

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
Did you buy the van with finance and are you still paying off the fiancee on the van. If so approach the finance company with your problems and let them get it sorted as they have an interest in the van.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
On our Chausson, from new the hab door has been slightly bowed outwards, not enough to cause any problems, but just a bit annoying. We asked for it to be replaced by the dealer, who told us that all Chausson doors are like that !! Of course we knew they were lying, but it was not such a big deal, so at the first service we asked again, "any progress with a replacement door" ?? We'll contact Chausson again they said. Needless to say, we heard nothing from the dealer. Due to other problems with that dealer we won't go near them again, and we'll just live with the slight annoyance. What I'd really like to do is get a hab door same as ours from a crashed MH and strip it down to see how it's built, then rebuild it with more strength.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
One disgruntled BMW owner fed up with problems.........................

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The best result will be gained by being absolutely firm about your rights. No need to be angry or shout, more scary for them if you are completely calm.
You have a contract with the dealer, the goods are not fit for purpose. You have given them one chance to fix it and they have failed. Tell them you will return the van and you want your money back. Ideally, do not use the van between now and November 12th but that is up to you. Make your complaint clear and in writing giving them 7 days to make the refund or you will take legal action. At that point you should drive the vehicle onto their forecourt and hand them the keys.
Very distressing for you and you would be without the vehicle and all the hassle it will cause but to show out is not fit for purpose you have to just hand it back.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The best result will be gained by being absolutely firm about your rights. No need to be angry or shout, more scary for them if you are completely calm.
You have a contract with the dealer, the goods are not fit for purpose. You have given them one chance to fix it and they have failed. Tell them you will return the van and you want your money back. Ideally, do not use the van between now and November 12th but that is up to you. Make your complaint clear and in writing giving them 7 days to make the refund or you will take legal action. At that point you should drive the vehicle onto their forecourt and hand them the keys.
Very distressing for you and you would be without the vehicle and all the hassle it will cause but to show out is not fit for purpose you have to just hand it back.
I don't think you can quote legislation starting from September 2015 on a 30 month old van, I stand to be corrected!!

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
So these new fangled doors that can't be stable doors because they have to meet regulations for their ability not to burst open in event of an accident don't fit properly and when trying to get them fixed people are given the age old 'they all do that sir'

There's a watchdog episode in that!

Certainly puts me off over buying a modern van

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You are correct if it is that old - thought it was relatively new - have they owned the van 30 months or did they buy a 30 month old van? Makes a difference

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
your rights for goods to be fit for purpose have been around before this new legislation

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
your rights for goods to be fit for purpose have been around before this new legislation
Yes, but if they have owned and used the van fr 30 months they have nothing to go on. If they recently bought a 30 month old van from a dealer then they definitely have rights.
Not sure what their situation is

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
From what I've read they bought new 30 months ago, if the first issue with the door was inside the first year or inside any warrantee period then they are covered and therefore covered for a recurring issue on supposedly fixed door.

Also it's a safety issue as well, aren't new MH supposed to pass a burst test on their hab doors? If 'they all do that sir' then whoever regulates this needs to be involved.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Yes, but if they have owned and used the van fr 30 months they have nothing to go on. If they recently bought a 30 month old van from a dealer then they definitely have rights.
Not sure what their situation is
He said it was bought new so not covered by the new legislation :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back