Branston1080

Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Looking for any advice please. I've just returned to my van and the Hab door will not unlock from the outside. So I climbed in through the cab door and tried from the inside. That didn't work either! I think the mechanism is completed bust.
So any ideas in releasing the door?
Secondly if I need a new mechanism how do I know which one? My van is a knaus sun ti 2007. I've attach pic of lock, it's the locking button that appears to be the issue.
Any help would be great. Thank you in advance funsters

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 67

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Do you have hab door central locking?

On my Autotrail the hab door locks with the vehicle alarm push button. But if the door is not 100% shut it will not unlock after

Try leaning on the door to ensure the electrical connections are made. Re lock and then unlock

It works on mine

OP
OP
Branston1080

Branston1080

Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi
Thanks for this, unfortunately it's not central locking. I've tried the lean method unfortunately my 8 stone didn't budge it!
The lock button above the release handle looks like the issue as it's not really moving much!
Any thoughts?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I used to weigh 8 stone once :0(

But that part looks off a car and would probably only be modified and have rods inside operating the lock itself.

Lots of WD40 into the lock may help. Else I have nothing - sorry

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Well, first thought would be, don't mess about with it until you get home if you're not sure what you're doing. A door that won't open is an inconvenience whilst you have other doors to use, a door that won't stay shut is much more of an immediate problem!

Can you push the latch back from the inside at all, possibly using some kind of thin flexible tool down the side of the door? A credit card may do the trick, or a plastic kitchen spatula.

Getting someone else to lean on the outside of the door whilst you fiddle with the button & handle inside is worth a try, their weight taking any strain off the lock.

Stripping the inside of the door down to get at the locking mechanism may be an option, but only if you can get at the fixings with the door shut! It does look to me as if the trim around the handle can be popped off at least.

And last resort of all is cutting through the lock latch with an oscillating multi-tool, done carefully the damage and hence new bits to buy can be minimised.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back