Habitation Damp Check (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
My 2009 Autotrail has just had its first Habitation Check, one year after I purchased it.

The Damp Check was reported as below:

Broken Link Removed

Should I have any cause for concern?

The 9% and 10% figures on the nearside do not surprise me as I know there was a leak through the window, which they have now removed and re-sealed.

It is normally parked on a slight slope on my drive, so all the water from the roof drains down from two places on the Off-side.

Broken Link Removed

How is a Damp Check performed in a motor-home? Would they have used a non-contact type?

I have seen some recommended by other funsters, particularly this one: Link Removed

Any other recommendations?

How easy is it to use a non-contact meter - and correctly interpret the results?

Thanks, John

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's a Watertrail.... Sorry I meant Autotrail... :)

When you get one like mine was at 40% and only 11 months old, thats the time to worry. !!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
If I understand correctly you should only have cause for concern if the readings are 20% or above.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I had to remove my rear bumper for repair and found the wooden rail along the rear panel was sopping like a sponge and it is exposed to everything, no cover, no paint, no nuttin' it is spongey and pulpy and goes 6-10 inches from the left side only and the vertical bit is even worse. I do not know whence it comes but there are no windows or doors on that panel and all above is 4% so not tracking down. The foam seems OK just the exposed wood frame. I will not be buying another of that make as they are still using wood for the frames.

Frank n Betty

Free Member
Jul 13, 2016
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 55
Exp
Just 1yr
Just had our habitation check11 months after purchase major damp issues found on our pride and joy we are going away Monday, appt at dealer when we get back who are already muttering the witty does not apply to vehicles over 7 years old?
Any tips to reinforce my case would be appreciated

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @Revolvor i would think that Taran_Las is correct in saying nothing there to concern you, the sheet does say below 15% will not be reported as no problem with those levels, there has to be some level of damp as it represent atmospheric humidity reading.

Martin

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
A strange report with lots of zeros. If they got readings why didn't they write them in? I would have expected anything between 8 and 15. Apart from the zeros the other figures look ok unless they are using a different scale (usually percentage).

With regards to non contact meters they can be affected by any metal buried in the body, including any aluminium skin on the outside. I use mine on a comparison basis. Check in the middle of a panel (furthest from any potential leak) as a reference then compare to reading around panel edges and apertures. Not foolproof but a good indication.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Normal and acceptable readings are in the range 1 to 15 (your architraves & skirtings at home should be in this range) As said above only really need to do anything to source and resolve a water ingress problem when the readings are clearly above this range.

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
The ply used will have a moisture content reading which is affected by the seasonal temperature and humidity. Think of solid wood floors - in the summer they expand because the heating is off and there can be high humidity levels. In the winter, the heating comes on which dries the air so the flooring looses moisture to the air and shrinks. This results in gaps between the boards.

Basically, a reading below 15% (as said above), is normal.

The types of meter used commonly by flooring pros and surveyors are predominantly made by Protimeter. Another very good make is Tramex.

Both do meters that can scan (non invasive) as well as use pins.

I have (protimeter) - mini, surveymaster, hygrometer and a couple of mms meters.

Tramex - wood encounter, cme4, MRH3 and another couple I can't remember the model number of.

I regularly check our van on scan only but still pay a pro for a hab check.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back