Habitation check

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mathilde, May 24, 2014.

1. Mathilde

Mathilde Funster

Seeking advice on whether a habitation check is necessary each year. Our motorhome is kept for 9 months at inside storage in Somerset, and then we come over from Australia and use it for 3 months each year. It is a 2007 Peugeot Boxer. So far we have had it checked each year (4) , with no issues. Wondering if every 2nd year would be sufficient?

2. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

I would think that if you did have issues and had to claim on insurance you might find that they caused you problems if you didn't have a current Hab check...

Also it's a good idea to have your gas system checked annually...:thumb:

3. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I've had my motorhome from new and had a annual Habitation service every year as this is a warranty requirement.
    This year I will not have a habitation service as I believe £200. is a bit of a rip off. I have purchased a damp meter and do damp checks myself. All my seals are sound and this would be my main reason to have a Hab. service.
    If I sell the motorhome I will get another one done before putting up for sale.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Our mobile hab check man is coming on Monday...

£129 + travelling costs...

and he'll be here for several hours...:thumb:

See post about gas filler fire in Manchester, a hab check should pick up on any problems around the gas system...

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Damp is unlikely to be an issue if it's stored inside..

however, appliances should be checked annually, used or not, and especially when left standing for long periods of time.. you may also get rodent infestation which may have eating cables ..

my advice would be to have at least the gas system and appliances checked and serviced prior to using each year.. and at the same time, don't forget the engine also needs an annual oil change irrespective of millage..

I would also suggest that the wheels are removed and stored in a dry dark place.. off the ground on a pallet and covered with sacks.. this will prevent flat spots and uv damage.. may not be possible.. but worth considering.,.

other points to consider doing .. you may well already do this..

* disconnect both hab and engine batteries by removing the negative leads.
    * leave cupboard doors open
    * leave at least one roof vent open
    * drain and clean both fresh and waste tanks.
    * sanitize fridge and leave door open
    * stand cushions on ends
    * don't close blinds.. that will weaken the return springs.
    * sanitize all food cupboards.
    * leave handbrake Off

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Boater

Boater Funster

Had mine done Thursday mobile £120 inc vat second year running mobile much more convenient.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mathilde

Mathilde Funster

Thank you for the excellent advice. We have all these things covered. The batteries have held up well, and she starts (so far) first turn of the key each year.

Any recommendations for a habitation check around Taunton Somerset? Also, is it a set price for MOT. I have been quoted 54.85 pounds.

8. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Standard fee methinks...

That's what I paid for my +3.5 tonne tag axle...

9. mentaliss

mentaliss

do you get a tick box check list after the Hab check ? if you do have you noticed that the majority of the check is something you do every day during the use of your van ie : interior lighting & equipment- check operation...Source... Caravan club - Approved Workshop Habitation Service Checksheet:Smile:
    well, wouldn't you not know if a light is not working whilst your using your MH??? the Hab check is just another excuse for someone to take your money:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  10. sedge

sedge Funster

Well personally, we haven't the equipment to do the gas pressure test, we don't have a damp meter either but I know they aren't too dear.

God knows what else Mark (CLS) and his Sorcerer's Apprentice do when they are here doing ours but all I can say is, they certainly earn the money, the length of time it takes.

I know some jobs you can and do, yourself (eg checking tyre pressures) as well - but really for what it costs, £100 or so - in comparison to the price of the thing in the first place and the amount of time you spend in it, so its value to you to be RIGHT - it's cheap.

We're having the roof on the whole house done soon, including demolishing a chimney. Pete is capable - but it's a bloody big job for an amateur on his own and he'd certainly never get it done in a week. So it's really good value to get the professionals in.

And I don't expect anybody to work for next to nothing.

I most certainly would not !

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've just had ours done at F&M Caravans in Hull, normal price I think is £125 but as ours is a PVC he always gives us a discount so it only cost us £100. :BigGrin:

12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Most items are things you can, and do regularly check yourself.
    If you need any special tools they are not expensive; gas leak manometer and damp meter can be obtained for around £15 each.

13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

If you have a coachbuilt and get damp you got big bucks to cure it, coachbuilts can flex, PVC's (Panel vans are all metal) don't

Your choice

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  14. sedge

sedge Funster

Err, we don't WANT to do it ourselves thanks ! :Rofl1: