Habitation Check (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
So its an inspection not a service...Most of items ticked you use when touring and know if they work or not.Think the only two things of real importance are damp check and gas test...BUSBY:):)
I guess you are right.:(

But, on the other hand, with a new M/H it keeps the warranty current.:)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Sounds good but you are bit far away!

Still shows excellent level of service, though!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Think if I was spending on new, I would demand free habitation checks during warranty, as dealer is only checking van complies to what was sold.
As I would never buy new, I fully agree with JJ and Busby

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Sorry to take so long to update this thread but its been a bit manic since we returned home. The guy I referred to in my previous post of Feb 23rd is (Bob) Gales Caravan Services 01803 550054 and he operates a mobile service based from his home in Torbay. He has just completed our hab / damp check for the second year running and the cost has remained the same at £45.00 per visit.
We find him to be an amiable chap and would happily recommend him to other Funsters.

The Tincas

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Sorry to take so long to update this thread but its been a bit manic since we returned home. The guy I referred to in my previous post of Feb 23rd is (Bob) Gales Caravan Services 01803 550054 and he operates a mobile service based from his home in Torbay. He has just completed our hab / damp check for the second year running and the cost has remained the same at £45.00 per visit.
We find him to be an amiable chap and would happily recommend him to other Funsters.

The Tincas

Thats a decent price,,any price above £100 is an absolute rip off...BUSBY.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
For anyone living near here, "Knockinonabit" has given me the contact info for a mobile "man" with all the relevant accreditation.
He is booked to do ours on 22nd of this month, so will let you know the result.
£100 max..
(nice Birthday present :()
Mitch.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Been motorhoming/campervanning for 40+ years.

Fulltimed for the last 25 odd years.

I am on my eighth "live in" vehicle.

Never ever, ever, ever had a "habitation check" ever.

(Other than when my Froggy Princess Frankie looks inside and says something like "That is not habitable. I'm not getting in there until it is properly cleaned and tidied.)

JJ :cool:

Me too. Been a tugger and chugger for more years than I care to remember. I get the van independently checked out when I first buy them and from then on rarely have a habitation inspection. Most of the things on the shedule can be done yourself, particularly window catches, lights, locks, switches, batteries and charging plus operation of cookers, heaters, fridges etc etc. They either work or they don't! I have a damp meter to keep an eye out for damp problems. What I do do is periodically have the gas systems checked out for leaks and my carbon monoxide detector tells me if I have any burning problems. I have had this van for 16 years and had it checked out in a habitation check twice, last time, two years ago they found the gas regulator needed changing and that was all. Must have saved myself thousands by not having it done every year...

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We pay £100 for a full habitation check complete with a tick list of everything checked and moisture readings. It takes 2 to 3 hours. Excellent value

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Old Soldier
I would do the same if wasn't for the warranty. Once out of warranty I will do hab check myself but will probably have to pay for damp check by"authorised agent" for the duration of water ingress warranty (10 years).

Damp problems can be very expensive to fix as I know, having had a previous experience while under warranty, with a previous m/h.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
For the past 3 years I've had the van's annual hab check done by Mark of J&M caravans - and we're booked in again with him for this year's hab check next month. He is a mobile engineer based near Huntingdon and covers quite a large area around Peterborough, Stamford and Baldock - we've met up with him in each of those three locations.

I don't have any means of scanning last year's paperwork but the checklist is similar to the one in Graham's link and he also produces a 'pictorial' damp check with the percentages written on outline views of the van.

He charges £60 for a hab check - which is an absolute bargain. He can also carry out any warranty work for Truma (and no doubt other companies too but Truma is the one he's done work for us on) and is the only engineer I know of who has the Truma diagnostic software on his laptop. (y)

Add to that the fact that he is a thoroughly nice guy and always happy to explain what he is doing - even with David following him around taking notes and photos! :D

Reactions: GJH
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
@Old Soldier
I would do the same if wasn't for the warranty. Once out of warranty I will do hab check myself but will probably have to pay for damp check by"authorised agent" for the duration of water ingress warranty (10 years).

Damp problems can be very expensive to fix as I know, having had a previous experience while under warranty, with a previous m/h.

I'm sure you are not alone, trouble is these sales companies have got you by the ba**s by stating your warranties will not be valid if you don't get your new vans checked. In my opinion it is mearly a way of getting more money out of us. When I bought my first new MH from Chelstons in Wellington I was staggered that they were asking for £80+ to just check out the van each year and that was 20 years ago. I have a friend who builds horseboxes with habitation areas to check it out and refused to spend even more money with Chelston or anyone one else for that matter. Absolute rip off in my mind!! :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back