Habitation Check (1 Viewer)

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Hi Funsters, my motorhome is almost 12 months old and is due for its first Habitation check. I have been quoted £314 by the supplying dealer for the hab and moisture check (no vehicle service included) which seems to be expensive to me. Is this the going rate for this or do I need to shop around for a better price?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Pete D.

Hi Pete.
I've just had a hab check on my van (yesterday 19th Feb).
I paid £225. This was for a largish 2014 van and for hab check only - not a vehicle service.

This is at 'southern prices' and with a large dealership, so I think what you've been quoted is OTT.

My advice would be to shop around, unless you are tied by a warranty and have to go to the place that quoted you.

Most of the checks that are done are visual inspections, apart from the gas, some electrics, damp check, carbon monoxide test etc.

I have to have mine done to keep with the warranty, but I was happy with the service I got and the peace of mind regarding gas etc. I also like the fact that I have been provided with all of the results and readings from an approved centre should I sell the van.

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Shop around you don't have to go to a main dealer to uphold the warranty as long as they are NCC registered and use genuine parts you can go anywhere.

We part ex'd ours last year so can't remember how much we paid year before but didn't pay that much.

Liz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I pay about the same as Graham and the engineer comes to us.(y)
The price I gave is for a service at the workshop - an extra £20 + VAT if he comes here. The workshop is only a few minutes down the road so it's as easy to take the van there.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Unless you have any specific warranty requirements you're worried about and need a main dealer/agent I would suggest @dave newell lvs in Telford. Close to you and a fantastic service. (y)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I was checking out the warranty document for my new Burstner and it gives a fee indication of one hours labour to maintain the habitation warranty. I shall mention that to the dealership when it goes back in September. I'll check with them first what they are going to charge before I mention it though!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Why not consider getting fellow Funster Dave Newell to undertake the service. That way you know it has been done properly!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
There are a couple more funsters near us that are registered to do the inspections and are also warranty approved for various things IN the moho. We pay around the same as Graham too, he comes here and does it on our drive and we don't even have to put the kettle on since the one who has always done ours doesn't drink tea or coffee!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Shop around you don't have to go to a main dealer to uphold the warranty as long as they are NCC registered and use genuine parts you can go anywhere.

We part ex'd ours last year so can't remember how much we paid year before but didn't pay that much.

Liz
Sorry Liz but that is not correct for habitation servicing for two main reasons.

Firstly it's the Approved Workshop Scheme (AWS) that they need to be part of - the National Caravan Council (NCC), Caravan Club (CC) and Camping and Caravanning Club (C&CC) jointly set-up the AWS, so the NCC are NOT a replacement for using one of the AWS members.

Link Removed

Secondly, and more importantly, regardless of the workshop being part of AWS if the manufacturer does NOT endorse the AWS then it will NOT meet the warranty terms:

http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/scheme-supporters/

For base vehicle servicing so long as the work is undertaken at a VAT registered garage and uses the same quality of parts (not necessarily the actual manufacturer's parts but this should be checked on the warranty terms to be sure) then any garage can do it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm getting our habitation service done at Peterborough show in April for £95 (it's due in early May anyway); we don't need a base vehicle service until our camper is 2 years old so no need to do it this year.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
@Pete D.

Hi Pete.
I've just had a hab check on my van (yesterday 19th Feb).
I paid £225. This was for a largish 2014 van and for hab check only - not a vehicle service.

This is at 'southern prices' and with a large dealership, so I think what you've been quoted is OTT.

My advice would be to shop around, unless you are tied by a warranty and have to go to the place that quoted you.

Most of the checks that are done are visual inspections, apart from the gas, some electrics, damp check, carbon monoxide test etc.

I have to have mine done to keep with the warranty, but I was happy with the service I got and the peace of mind regarding gas etc. I also like the fact that I have been provided with all of the results and readings from an approved centre should I sell the van.
Think you were robbed as well. What a rip off...Bet it does not take them an hour...BUSBY.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012

It took them 3 hours to do my hab check. There's not a lot of options down this way in terms of competent and approved workshops. There is a large place relatively close to me, but they won't touch it because I didn't buy the van from them!!

It seems there's plenty of places in the Midlands and North etc, but not much in the Essex region.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Posted elsewhere on Forum last week.

My M/H Hab check £120 + VAT less 20% discount as regular customer. Damp check included "free" with Hab service, last Thursday.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Brownhills quoted me £480inc vat for Hab,service and Mot so £314 seems expensive try another dealer that sells your MH

dartslf2000

Free Member
Sep 14, 2009
Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
I'll go with what everyone else is saying, seems expensive, I've just booked ours in to Dave Newell in Telford and they have quoted £225 less funster discount for a habitation AND Base vehicle service. Have a ride out for the day lol, lovely round Ironbridge for a few hours!

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
I'll go with what everyone else is saying, seems expensive, I've just booked ours in to Dave Newell in Telford and they have quoted £225 less funster discount for a habitation AND Base vehicle service. Have a ride out for the day lol, lovely round Ironbridge for a few hours!

Have a look at www.davenewell.co.uk, give them a call for a fixed price. They include the fridge in their hab checks.

I'm another very satisfied customer, that's all.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Posted elsewhere on Forum last week.

My M/H Hab check £120 + VAT less 20% discount as regular customer. Damp check included "free" with Hab service, last Thursday.

What do they do on The Service ?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If it is the AWS Schedule you mean there is a sample on-line Here.
Thanks.

That certainly looks like what I saw but, as age progresses, I find it harder to recall so much info.(n)

Will compare tomorrow when I receive the invoice and checklist.(y)

Reactions: GJH

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Down in Sunny Deb'n there is a lovely man who comes to your door in Torbay and two hours later the hab and damp check is done and all for about £60.00 if memory serves me correctly. When I get home I will post his details if anyone is interested?

The Tincas

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Down in Sunny Deb'n there is a lovely man who comes to your door in Torbay and two hours later the hab and damp check is done and all for about £60.00 if memory serves me correctly. When I get home I will post his details if anyone is interested?

The Tincas
Are you kidding?

If any of us could get a full hab service and damp check, at our home, for £60 we would be chuffed to death.

Can you post details of what was done as a "Habitation Service" so that we can see if it is complete?

My Hab Service this week cost £151 and I will post the full service sheet on here later this week, for information. (I would have done it today but, having just moved house recently, I can't find the scanner).:eek:

OP
OP
Pete D.
Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Folks, thanks to you all for your input and here is my update. I need to protect my warranty so I viewed the Bailey website to find dealers local(ish) to me. I contacted these and have found a full Hab check for £125 (approx 2.5 hours labour) at a Bailey dealer in Holmes Chapel. Following your comments in this post this seems a very reasonable price to me.
I am booked in for next month and will scan and post the check list for those of you that are interested.
Again, thanks for your help.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Pete D.
I think you have a good deal there as long as the service is in accordance with the AWS schedule linked in @ GJH above.

Good luck.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@busby
As promised details of my Motorhome's Habitation Service. (If I can make the attachments work)!

I have removed only personal details such as address etc

Apologies to all if I have buggered it up.
MH Inv3010.jpg
MH Inv3010.jpg MH Inv3010.jpg MH WS011.jpg
MH WS011.jpg
MH Inv3010.jpg MH WS011.jpg MH WS011.jpg MH Inv3010.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
@busby
As promised details of my Motorhome's Habitation Service. (If I can make the attachments work)!

I have removed only personal details such as address etc

Apologies to all if I have buggered it up.
View attachment 94805 View attachment 94805 View attachment 94805 View attachment 94806 View attachment 94806 View attachment 94805 View attachment 94806 View attachment 94806 View attachment 94805
So its an inspection not a service...Most of items ticked you use when touring and know if they work or not.Think the only two things of real importance are damp check and gas test...BUSBY:):)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Been motorhoming/campervanning for 40+ years.

Fulltimed for the last 25 odd years.

I am on my eighth "live in" vehicle.

Never ever, ever, ever had a "habitation check" ever.

(Other than when my Froggy Princess Frankie looks inside and says something like "That is not habitable. I'm not getting in there until it is properly cleaned and tidied.)

JJ :cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So its an inspection not a service...Most of items ticked you use when touring and know if they work or not.Think the only two things of real importance are damp check and gas test...BUSBY:):)
As far as I'm concerned it's well worth it for those two items to be checked thoroughly by somebody who knows what they are doing. In our case the checking of appliance operation includes checking whether servicing is required - as we found with our fridge this year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back