Habitation Check Rant (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Habitation check to keep the warranty appears to be another British rip off, most foreign vans don't require it only the annual damp check. I'm on my 2nd new Hymer never had a habitation check and never had any problems with warranty items.
As you have a Benimar I suggest you look at their warranty T&C you will probably find you don't need it.

Dealer rip off my mate got caught on that one, Carthago don't require a habitation check for the warranty either all part of the great British rip off.
Appears to be mandatory according to Carthago, unless I'm reading it wrong

http://www.carthago.lv/en/gurantee-and-service

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
and just to clarify the cost of the habitation check given to me by Marquis Golden Cross
There's the rub. I have just been ripped of by the same dealer on my first jab check. They will never get a penny from me again. I will still have a regular damp check carried out but not by them :mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No true Jim.
yes.. you are correct .. my mistake.

my point was.. any warranty is dependent on the manufacturers conditions being met.. be it a car, caravan or motorhome.. not where it had to be done..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Appears to be mandatory according to Carthago, unless I'm reading it wrong

http://www.carthago.lv/en/gurantee-and-service
That is on a Latvia web site had a good search on their German website can't find anything about warranties, I'll have better look when I have more time.
My mate bought from your dealer got stitched up with the 3 month check, he took the van to Southdown for a couple of warranty items and damp check they said only the damp check was necessary so didn't bother with the hab check.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
That is on a Latvia web site had a good search on their German website can't find anything about warranties, I'll have better look when I have more time.
My mate bought from your dealer got stitched up with the 3 month check, he took the van to Southdown for a couple of warranty items and damp check they said only the damp check was necessary so didn't bother with the hab check.

Had a look on the German Web site, and couldn't find anything about warranties. However, I did find this thread Broken Link Removed
where people are making many of the same points about damp proof checks as are being made in the current MHF thread. Some voice their dissatisfaction at the 3-month check, so it looks as though it's not just a British thing.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
What about this for an idea.

A MOTORHOME FUN MEMBER, approaches an APPROVED WORKSHOP (mobile) and negotiates a deal to do hab checks whilst us Funsters are having a rally in a field somewhere. The deal would mean the Workshop is guaranteed a full days work without having to travel around. The Funsters get hab check at reasonable price.
A few of these at different places and times during the year could be a win win situation all round.
If your manufacturer allows Approved Workshops it could make it worthwhile.
If the dealers get wind of this it just may bring their prices down.

Edit........I was at a c&cc rally earlier this year and there was a guy available...........around 150 c'vans and m'homes on site.........he was busy all w/e

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

A MOTORHOME FUN MEMBER, approaches an APPROVED WORKSHOP (mobile) and negotiates a deal to do hab checks whilst us Funsters are having a rally in a field somewhere. The deal would mean the Workshop is guaranteed a full days work without having to travel around. The Funsters get hab check at reasonable price.
A few of these at different places and times during the year could be a win win situation all round.
If your manufacturer allows Approved Workshops it could make it worthwhile.
If the dealers get wind of this it just may bring their prices down.

Edit........I was at a c&cc rally earlier this year and there was a guy available...........around 150 c'vans and m'homes on site.........he was busy all w/e
Friend of mine does that on storage sites in France,,BUSBY.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I viewed it as like taking your car for a service if you don't and theres a fault in the warranty period tough!!!. The figures you quote are a lot more reasonable than Lowdhams for a hab service.
Sorry but that is absolutely and completely wrong.
Yes, it is what dealers will tell you and swear up and down it is so, but in reality it is tosh.
The only time a warranty claim can be refused is if :
Parts used on a service done by a third party do not conform to manufacturers specification
It can be proven that fault is due to lack of maintenance by a qualified person ON THE SPECIFIC PART OR PARTS THAT THE CLAIM IS FOR

This ruling is not new ( but newish in the over all scheme of things. )
The ruling dates back to approx 1998 from memory..
A case was bought before a court when someone with a car had a central door locking system fail.
Again from memory I believe it was a range rover.. The claim was refused as the vehicle had not been serviced by an approved centre.
They picked on the wrong guy.. A barrister

He eventually got the result common sense demanded and the sale of goods act was amended .

How come I know this ?
As a person who from 2000 to 2015 was in a branch of the motor trade..

In the past 15 years there have been so many changes in the various laws and rules relating to the trade that dealers, especially small dealerships, often get completely caught out by them.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I sort of get the rant but I guess it depends on the conscientiousness & thoroughness of who is doing the "check".

A few months back, I had a basic 'low mileage' service done on my 12yr old van by the dealer I bought it from - even though everything seemed fine to me - noted a noisy wheel bearing, something I wouldn't have noticed probably until it failed.
I also paid for a habitation service although everything appeared to be working as it should - but they spotted something wrong with the water pump [which was replaced under their warranty]

The point I'm making is that servicing & checks, be it mechanical or habitation, can spot problems, potential or actual, whilst everything appears to be working normally.
When one buys a new car, free servicing isn't included [unless part of the negotiation]... perhaps new MH buyers should consider negotiating a couple of years free hab checks rather than a free awning?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Car dealers will service a car much cheaper once it is out of the warranty period. The service from the same people doing the same thing........i agree with the original poster that it is a f......ing rip off.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Someone said we have to buy new to make sure there's a supply of used vans to go around, I'm in favour of that. You rich lot keep paying your £50,000 + on new vans and the rest of us plebs will keep our used ones.
When I was after my first (only) van, I checked what we needed in a van, thought, Hymer seems a good make and looked around for a good one.
I bought my 2009 552CL for what I considered a reasonable price, checked through the reams of paperwork it came with and will keep it for at least 5 years but probably longer.
I've had a couple of minor problems, fixed them myself (except for gas to fridge) and we are enjoying our MH experience to the full.
Our Hymer is far better than we expected and would certainly have no problem recommending a used Hymer to anyone. For a 7 year old van the build quality is excellent and there's hardly a squeak or rattle from it, the cabinets shut with a resounding click, the bed is very comfy and it's bone dry inside.

Are we happy with our 'old banger' ? oh yes !!!!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

Now that is a good idea, it would however be even better if a savvy outfit approached Jim or the Fun membership with the suggestion. Are you going to tell us Bob that this is actually what you do for a living, (safe question coz I know it isn't).

Then after a brilliant idea like that you suggest this rubbish.

Car dealers will service a car much cheaper once it is out of the warranty period.

I can hand on heart say that this is most definitely not the case at my Old Dealership on the South Coast.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Now that is a good idea, it would however be even better if a savvy outfit approached Jim or the Fun membership with the suggestion. Are you going to tell us Bob that this is actually what you do for a living, (safe question coz I know it isn't).

Then after a brilliant idea like that you suggest this rubbish.

I can hand on heart say that this is most definitely not the case at my Old Dealership on the South Coast.
No Griff i'm not in any business..... I am retired .........i also don't pay to have my vehicles serviced.

My SIL is a parts manager with a major multi franchise orginisation in Scotland .
If your car is out of its warranty period you can have it serviced and have your book stamped for much less than when its in warranty.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You don't have to have your MH's hab service done by the dealer you bought it from BUT if it is under warranty this has to be done by an approved workshop - and by that I mean approved by the manufacturer not specifically a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme.

Eg, we have a Globecar, part of Dethleffs group, so rather than use our expensive dealer we had it done at Peterborough show by Ash (can't remember the company name), this was possible as Dethleffs are one of the 'supporters' of the Approved Workshop Scheme and Ash is a member so he was able to do the hab check for us without any issues for warranty, much cheaper than at a dealership. If, however, we'd wanted to use a member of the AWS but our vehicle's manufacturer WASN'T a supporter of the scheme, then they may NOT accept the habitation check for their purposes - so you must check first!

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We bought our IH direct from the factory and have taken it back each year for its habitation service and for whatever little niggles have appeared over the year. Just back last week, it's now 3 years old, so they organised base vehicle service from Bennett's of Leeds, £240 + vat, habitation service £240 and the mot at £50, thankfully sailed through with no advisories. All done on one visit, thought decent value, and certainly gives peace of mind.
Bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oops ... replied on wrong thread! :D

OP
OP
John & Liz

John & Liz

Free Member
Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
Since Sept 2012
Not content with ripping us off to the tune of £225 for the habitation check, Marquis have now increased it to £235, obviously feel we are a soft touch and will just accept it !

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

A few of these at.....

What a great idea - would be even better if it could be say 3 or 4 times a year.

Personally I definitely want a damp and gas check every year, my onboard generator needs servicing, nature pure cartridge changing etc etc - I am a chocolate fireguard with DIY and happy to have someone competent deal with niggles. These people have big overheads and charging £70 an hour might seem extortionate but it is probably what profitability demands.

The main thing I want to know is just what will or will not be checked for the money I am paying so I can judge good value or not - a 'hat check' could mean anything.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A motorhome is a machine which needs maintaining like any other.
Given the obvious risks of gas leaks and death by carbon monoxide poisoning, I would say an annual check is essential.

Why the rant?

If you can't afford to maintain a motorhome in a safe condition, don't buy one in the first place.
Could you expand on that statement "the obvious risks of gas leaks and death by carbon monoxide poisoning" ? Exactly what gas checks are performed during a hab service that reduces that risk?
Your remark about not being able to afford to maintain a motorhome is offensive in the extreme - objecting to a charge for anything has nothing to do with financial status but a lot to do with perception of value for money.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
What a great idea - would be even better if it could be say 3 or 4 times a year.

Personally I definitely want a damp and gas check every year, my onboard generator needs servicing, nature pure cartridge changing etc etc - I am a chocolate fireguard with DIY and happy to have someone competent deal with niggles. These people have big overheads and charging £70 an hour might seem extortionate but it is probably what profitability demands.

The main thing I want to know is just what will or will not be checked for the money I am paying so I can judge good value or not - a 'hat check' could mean anything.
Probably checks it against current fashion and the ability to remain in place in a howling gale. Might include a damp test. :D:D(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
yes, most of it is just checking, not servicing, but there is a tad more to it than that.. see attached.
There are 50 items on that list 32 of which are checked every time they are used. By anyone - no skill or special observational powers required. In fact just enough padding to precisely fill an A4 sheet.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Good idea, so everyone now buys a used van, hang on there aren't enough to go round NOW what do we do?

Where do you suppose all the 'out of the box' only 'one owner vans' come from......:rofl:

.............................must be MAGIC! :RollEyes:
Disenchanted owners? :)

OP
OP
John & Liz

John & Liz

Free Member
Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
Since Sept 2012
My point is that it is a 'check' and not a service.
What are they checking after the first year, they are checking that a component that they fitted or manufactured has not failed, so why must we pay them to check that the product they sold us has not developed a fault through no fault of ours.
If it is our fault then we should pay but I resent paying for them to check that there is not a damp patch which if there was would be down to them, so I repeat why should I have to pay for them to investigate if their product has failed.
No problem to have the Fiat cab 'Serviced' and oil changed but Fiat don't say pay us £235 and we will check that the bonnet closes properly or the doors shut correctly and wont let in damp.
On the gas part I pay £55 for a Gas Safe fitter to visit my property, do a gas soundness check, check all gas appliances and issue me with a Gas Safe Landlords certificate, and he comes to me, now that is value for money.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My point is that it is a 'check' and not a service.
What are they checking after the first year, they are checking that a component that they fitted or manufactured has not failed, so why must we pay them to check that the product they sold us has not developed a fault through no fault of ours.
If it is our fault then we should pay but I resent paying for them to check that there is not a damp patch which if there was would be down to them, so I repeat why should I have to pay for them to investigate if their product has failed.
No problem to have the Fiat cab 'Serviced' and oil changed but Fiat don't say pay us £235 and we will check that the bonnet closes properly or the doors shut correctly and wont let in damp.
On the gas part I pay £55 for a Gas Safe fitter to visit my property, do a gas soundness check, check all gas appliances and issue me with a Gas Safe Landlords certificate, and he comes to me, now that is value for money.
And the trade call it A HABITATION SERVICE,,,what do they service ? Biggest con trick out,,,,,BUSBY,,

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Ours is serviced by our Local NCC AWS for £140. As said on a previous post, the first time we used him he sorted our difficult to light fridge that had had a leak for three years, not picked up by the main dealer.
I don't trust the dealer I bought from so don't have it serviced there. They can't force you.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Asked a local fella only yesterday (Scorrier) how much does he charge for a hab check, £130!
Single or twin axle says he , It's a M/home says I, oh well that would be extra says he!
Why? says I My M/H is 6 metres same size as a caravan. It's more complicated says he.
How? says I
It just is says he

We have a young lad (Gas registered Plumber) who is quite happy to earn a tax free £50 to pop in as he's passing to run a compression test on the gas, Our local Garage runs a visual over the M/H when its being serviced. I have a damp metre, and the tyre place is more than happy to run an expert eye over my tyres, , I run in and have them rotate the tyres, check the pressure , when I go to pay they wave me away, give the lads out there a slab of cider says the boss

The Office of Fair Trading has issued an instruction, cant remember the # but it starts with an 8, which says ; You don't have to go to your dealer to get your servicing done AND you won't lose your warrenty, an independent Garage's Stamp on you docs for a service, DOES NOT NEGATE YOUR WARRENTY!!

If however a repair is needed! that must be done by your Dealer!

I have posted here before, full chapter and verse on this Office of Fair Trading instruction, but buggered if I can find it!
We have had several caravans and motorhomes and spent ages on the road to and from the supplying dealer.

For the last eight years however we have had all checks and any warranty work carried out by our local independent workshop. They are fully approved by all the major British manufacturers, (sorry, don't know how they stand on imports) to carry out warranty, remedial and upgrade work with all the parts being supplied by the manufacturers.

So it may not be necessary to have your warranty repairs carried out by the supplying dealer.

We have saved a fortune on diesel and time lost travelling to and from.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We had a habitation check / service done on our van this morning. Rather than trek 45 miles to the dealers I used a mobile workshop (AWS registered). As far as I can tell he has done a good job, took him a couple of hours and cost me £170. He thought this was cheap and claimed it was less than other people charge.

Main thing is a thorough damp check was done and report supplied. The van doesn't have any damp so far - its a Swift and nearly 4 years old, is this a record? :)

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back