Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
If a habitation check is reasonably priced, surely it's worth it ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We bought our first brand new motorhome a Benimar, in April of this year and are very pleased with it despite one or two niggly little faults.

During the hand over the sales guy mentioned that he had booked our first habitation check 12 months ahead. As the dealer is over 70 miles away from us I asked if it is possible to have the check carried out at a local approved dealer, the answer was yes just as long as they are VAT registered.

I asked why, is there a charge, oh yes he replied £225.00 WHAT I exclaimed, for a habitation check that you insist I carry out, what on earth are they doing for this exorbitant fee.

Well they do a full inspection he said, of what I replied, you are asking me to pay £225 to check that the motorhome that you sold me has not developed a fault in the first 12 months, which if it was down to my negligence would not be covered by the guarantee anyway and if it was not down to my negligence / misuse then it is down to the manufacturer, so why should I have to pay you £225 each year to check that Benimar have sealed the joints correctly.

I don’t believe this even included a gas check but if it did it is still a ridiculous charge, I can get a Gas Safe engineer to travel to visit my house, carry out a gas soundness test, check all gas appliances and issue me with a Landlords Gas safety certificate all for the princely sum of £55 and he comes to me whereas I have to take my motorhome to Marquis.

Where does the Consumer Rights Act 2015 stand on this, why should I have to pay £225 to validate the guarantee, if I don’t have the habitation check done then they won’t cover the guarantee, and that’s another thing, if I have to pay then it is not a guarantee it is a warranty which is an indemnity like an insurance policy which is paid for, a guarantee is a legally binding contract, the brochure says it is guaranteed so where does the payment come into it if it is guaranteed.

The consumer rights act says the goods must be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose so if a leak develops then it is down to the manufacturer to correct it, why must I bring it to his attention by paying him £225 every year, oh I know so he can catch the fault before it becomes a major problem and then cost him a lot of money.

I fully appreciate that I have to pay for the Fiat cab part to be serviced but that has moving parts, oils filters etc which require servicing, not got a problem with that, but Fiat haven’t said that I have to have the cab checked to make sure the windscreen is fitted properly or a door hasn’t dropped, no, they have total confidence in their product unlike the motorhome manufacturers who insist we pay them to check over their workmanship. We are already doing a quality control inspection on our expensive purchase once we take delivery, I bet not one of you reading this rant can honestly say that when you picked up your brand new motorhome it had no faults, no, you had to take it back and point out all the little niggly things that were not picked up on the alleged pre delivery inspection, “just bring it back in not a problem we will correct it” bring it back in at our expense though, but just in case there is something else they missed they now want us to pay £225 to double check they won’t get hit with a big repair bill.

The rip off doesn’t stop there, did you know that if you own a Swift or Autosleeper and you decide to take a long winter break in Spain or say Portugal that you may fall foul of the suppliers T&C’s which limit use to 90 consecutive days use, they argue that vans are meant to be used as mobile holiday homes, not as permanent residences which would put unreasonable strain on some components, SO WHY NOT IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF THOSE COMPONENTS. No better to sit back take the customers money and keep stinging them whenever they can.

Also how about this, if you buy a new Auto-Trail and meekly pay your habitation check each year and after 6 years a fault develops then you have to pay 20% towards the cost of that repair, it gets better, after 10 years you will have to pay 60% of the cost and assuming you have been really good and paid your habitation check each year for 10 years that is £2,250.00 you will have put into the hands of the dealer and if there is a bill for £1000.00 you will have to pay an extra £600.00 towards it, heads they win tails the meek motorhome owners lose.

I’m all for starting a campaign to harass our dealers and get rid of this rip off fee, if they want to check the van hasn’t developed a fault then let them pay for it, or design their vans better and design the fault out so that they won’t need annual monitoring to ensure they are not falling apart.

Can you help me out here, am I the only one that feels this way, what do others think, is the charge justified, some may say that you have just spent £40 - £50,000 on a motorhome what’s another £225 to keep it under warranty, I agree, but still feel the check is not value for money and we have no option than to accept their terms or lose the warranty.

Rant over, and just to clarify the cost of the habitation check given to me by Marquis Golden Cross may differ to that quoted by other dealers.
I don't think it is any difference with cars. You normally have to pay for the first and subsequent services and unless you get it serviced you will have no comeback if anything needs fixing under warranty. Of course service intervals differ and some cars are offered with free servicing for the first year or so. MHs are no different, they come with different servicing requirements. I've had our PVC three years from new and have never taken it for a hab check although I have done things like clean out the fridge burner and cleaned the filter at the inlet to the water pump myself. However, if I had a more conventional MH with more potential for leaks then an annual hab check is probably essential if only to ensure you have a good case if anything untoward like damp does develop.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
@John & Liz make sure that whoever you use is definitely approved by Benimar to work on your vehicles, it might be worth contacting the Approved Workshop Scheme and asking if there are any members you can use to maintain your warranty:

Great little tip there Minxygirl, isn't this forum wonderful & the wealth of knowledge available never ceases to amaze me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I am sure it is to expensive but if you wish to sell your van at latter date its needs done. I think i would want service history to check the van has been looked after

Neil

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I was advised the Habitation check takes 8 hours (£450) on my MH as it's quite complex there was no way I was hanging about all day as the Dealer is 300 miles away,so they advised the Damp check is the one that is nessasary (£120) so went for that one.
I have had a few warranty problems and they were/are being dealt with, the MH is fifteen months old now and I am very happy with the Dealer.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
My Knaus is now 15 months old and when it was a year old I asked the supplier (Southdowns) about hab test and damp test.

Their service dept told me that a damp test was mandatory annually to maintain water ingress warranty (so I obviously had it done) however the hab test was not mandatory and in fact they advised me not to bother with it whilst the van was under warranty as they would fix anything that went wrong with it and to be fair they have been as good as their word on that score.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Don't buy a brand ne van!!

Good idea, so everyone now buys a used van, hang on there aren't enough to go round NOW what do we do?

Where do you suppose all the 'out of the box' only 'one owner vans' come from......:rofl:

.............................must be MAGIC! :RollEyes:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I understand my new Hymer must have a damp check done every year, BY A HYMER dealer, to keep the body warranty going I was told that it is £40, but the nearest dealer is in Belgium, or drive over here for 4 hours each way to the nearest one for a ten minute check with a meter around the joints and windows. Hab checks are mostly a money making exercise as a check does not rectify ANYTHING. you pay extra for that.

Well, that's cheap! We were quoted £170 by Travel World for damp check. We're planning on getting it done on the Continent, while on holiday.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Like Our Chausson Benemar are owned by Tregano who have the same hab service requirement, I don't like paying money to check that all is working well, and the damp test is done,but it is nice to know that all is working well before you set off on a holiday abroad that's why we have it done, good luck.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I suppose it's a case of speak as you find in a lot of cases.

Had my Hab. check done by Freeborn in Guildford. I mentioned that there had been a little bit of water in the garage of my Delaware. They checked it all out , discovered that some sealing and a bit of replacement plastic strip was required underneath.
They sorted it out with the warranty company, carried out the repairs under warranty and provided excellent service.
I didn't buy it from them but just booked it in with them as they are my 'local' Auto-Trail dealers. I did pay for the Hab. check, which I don't mind, as not having had the vehicle from new it just gives peace of mind that it is still dry and things are working as they should. And, keeps the extended warranty valid.

Well done Freeborn.
Cheers
Nik

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
I am sure it is to expensive but if you wish to sell your van at latter date its needs done. I think i would want service history to check the van has been looked after

Neil
Good idea, so everyone now buys a used van, hang on there aren't enough to go round NOW what do we do?

Where do you suppose all the 'out of the box' only 'one owner vans' come from......:rofl:

.............................must be MAGIC! :RollEyes:
popeye
took you a while to work that one! Obviously!!! As with all new vehicles if you're not prepared to keep the warranty conditions upto date you loose out in the long run, nobody holds a gun to your head to take the vehicle back for any service or habitation check, your choice as in your choice to buy new or used, quite simple that one :D:D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A motorhome is a machine which needs maintaining like any other.
Given the obvious risks of gas leaks and death by carbon monoxide poisoning, I would say an annual check is essential.

Why the rant?

If you can't afford to maintain a motorhome in a safe condition, don't buy one in the first place.
The op said gas check wasn't included.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Had ours done by a private ((Approved)) man, who charged £100.
He took best part of 2 hours and checked EVERYTHING....
Gas pressure drop test etc etc.
Money well spent on a newish vehicle, for peace of mind and to maintain the warranty.
Sorry you got "ripped off' John and Sue..
Look around and I'm sure you can find just as thorough a check for less than half what you paid..
Mitch.
PS.. SUPERB rant !! MOST eloquent.... (y)(y)(y).

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
popeye
took you a while to work that one!

No it did not, as soon as I read your Post saying 'Don't buy a new van' I sent my post, it took milliseconds to reply.

If no-one purchased new, where would all the 1 owner vans come from was my question and you seem unable to answer that, or have I missed your reply?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
No it did not, as soon as I read your Post saying 'Don't buy a new van' I sent my post, it took milliseconds to reply.

If no-one purchased new, where would all the 1 owner vans come from was my question and you seem unable to answer that, or have I missed your reply?
That was not the issue I'm afraid, the rant was about the extra expense some dealers try to impose on new purchases. Whilst the new purchases are on the up - the makers/dealers will squeeze for more and more, who can blame them? People are prepared to buy new ( so would I if I could afford it , but on a motorhome dealers income - I can't) because they can afford it, so should expect the necessary expense that follows. I was quoting the alternative! Can I go now my freezer door hinges have just bloody snapped and am leaving Sat morning, so no chance of getting replacement! :frowny: :banghead:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
im taking my MH back to the dealer in Belgium ,i think that the damp and gas check is a first class idea and a great excuse for a trip over the water:)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Asked a local fella only yesterday (Scorrier) how much does he charge for a hab check, £130!
Single or twin axle says he , It's a M/home says I, oh well that would be extra says he!
Why? says I My M/H is 6 metres same size as a caravan. It's more complicated says he.
How? says I
It just is says he

We have a young lad (Gas registered Plumber) who is quite happy to earn a tax free £50 to pop in as he's passing to run a compression test on the gas, Our local Garage runs a visual over the M/H when its being serviced. I have a damp metre, and the tyre place is more than happy to run an expert eye over my tyres, , I run in and have them rotate the tyres, check the pressure , when I go to pay they wave me away, give the lads out there a slab of cider says the boss

The Office of Fair Trading has issued an instruction, cant remember the # but it starts with an 8, which says ; You don't have to go to your dealer to get your servicing done AND you won't lose your warrenty, an independent Garage's Stamp on you docs for a service, DOES NOT NEGATE YOUR WARRENTY!!

If however a repair is needed! that must be done by your Dealer!

I have posted here before, full chapter and verse on this Office of Fair Trading instruction, but buggered if I can find it!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I understand my new Hymer must have a damp check done every year, BY A HYMER dealer, to keep the body warranty going I was told that it is £40, but the nearest dealer is in Belgium, or drive over here for 4 hours each way to the nearest one for a ten minute check with a meter around the joints and windows. Hab checks are mostly a money making exercise as a check does not rectify ANYTHING. you pay extra for that.
It's just an insurance policy, if you pay in you get free repairs if you need them, if you don't contribute you pay your own repair costs.

Martin

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I don't think it is any difference with cars. You normally have to pay for the first and subsequent services and unless you get it serviced you will have no comeback if anything needs fixing under warranty. Of course service intervals differ and some cars are offered with free servicing for the first year or so.

Two years servicing and MOT with the 12 plate car we bought a year ago :)

It's just had a service (MOT was done a couple of months ago - for some reason the previous owner had the first MOT done several months before it was required).

Reactions: DBK

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Asked a local fella only yesterday (Scorrier) how much does he charge for a hab check, £130!
Single or twin axle says he , It's a M/home says I, oh well that would be extra says he!
Why? says I My M/H is 6 metres same size as a caravan. It's more complicated says he.
How? says I
It just is says he

We have a young lad (Gas registered Plumber) who is quite happy to earn a tax free £50 to pop in as he's passing to run a compression test on the gas, Our local Garage runs a visual over the M/H when its being serviced. I have a damp metre, and the tyre place is more than happy to run an expert eye over my tyres, , I run in and have them rotate the tyres, check the pressure , when I go to pay they wave me away, give the lads out there a slab of cider says the boss

The Office of Fair Trading has issued an instruction, cant remember the # but it starts with an 8, which says ; You don't have to go to your dealer to get your servicing done AND you won't lose your warrenty, an independent Garage's Stamp on you docs for a service, DOES NOT NEGATE YOUR WARRENTY!!

If however a repair is needed! that must be done by your Dealer!

I have posted here before, full chapter and verse on this Office of Fair Trading instruction, but buggered if I can find it!
Indeed so, but also provide all vat receipts for all work! As I was quoted once "Anybody can get the service book stamped", the T--t(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Two years servicing and MOT with the 12 plate car we bought a year ago :)

It's just had a service (MOT was done a couple of months ago - for some reason the previous owner had the first MOT done several months before it was required).
I did the same last year because i would have been in Spain when MOT expired. I like the anniversary in Aug when i am local. BUSBY.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I did the same last year because i would have been in Spain when MOT expired. I like the anniversary in Aug when i am local. BUSBY.
The lady who traded it in got a brand new car via motorbility, maybe an MOT is a requirement before they take the car back? Anyway we are happy with both the car and the deal we got :)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Indeed so, but also provide all vat receipts for all work! As I was quoted once "Anybody can get the service book stamped", the T--t(y)

And?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It's just an insurance policy, if you pay in you get free repairs if you need them, if you don't contribute you pay your own repair costs.

Martin
I did not spend an arm and leg for them to check that there is nothing wrong with it if there is a fault I will tell them it is a fault, but it seems the warranty is not worth the paper it is written on with some vans. Go back to the selling dealer I am told , virtually 'sod off,'
It is the maker that is supposed to pay for faults and the dealer gets paid to do it. It should not make a gnats who does the repair but they are all so busy selling they do not want to repair even their own sales. Come the lean times soon and they will all be going bust again.
I will seeing Campirama on the way passed for a check and see what they say . If not a drop in at the makers might be a way to get it done. I see no problems with it that I cannot fix but if the bits inside go wrong they are covered by their makers.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
And stamped pages is no proof dear person, you need the vat receipts, unless of course the work is carried out at the dealership ,
But who on here has ever asked for them? BUSBY.:):)

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Me included :unsure:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Habitation check to keep the warranty appears to be another British rip off, most foreign vans don't require it only the annual damp check. I'm on my 2nd new Hymer never had a habitation check and never had any problems with warranty items.
As you have a Benimar I suggest you look at their warranty T&C you will probably find you don't need it.

I was surprised to learn that the first paid for inspection of our Carthago was after just 3 months - then annually after that
Dealer rip off my mate got caught on that one, Carthago don't require a habitation check for the warranty either all part of the great British rip off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back